Post here your Elvis' pictures

June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:22 pm

One of the threads here last year, one of Hilton's (cristi's) I think, got me thinking about Charlotte and when I was doing the page on the Carolina Theatre recently I did this one at the same time. Initially they were going to be all the same page but decided to break them apart by venue.
The pix I believe you've all seen before but for those of you that don't get to All Elvis:
Here's the one. Baby!

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks James, great site. As always.
Thanks also for linking to my website.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk (new updated website)

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Wonderful page, like always, thank you very much, Jim :smt006
Still, i have a problem: the photo below looks to be from July 1, 1956, outside Houston Theater, after Steve Allen show (Alfred Wertheimer photo)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:30 pm

hilton22000 wrote:Wonderful page, like always, thank you very much, Jim :smt006
Still, i have a problem: the photo below looks to be from July 1, 1956, outside Houston Theater, after Steve Allen show (Alfred Wertheimer photo)


could be, but it looks a little out of focus for a Wertheimer shot.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
hilton22000 wrote:Wonderful page, like always, thank you very much, Jim :smt006
Still, i have a problem: the photo below looks to be from July 1, 1956, outside Houston Theater, after Steve Allen show (Alfred Wertheimer photo)


could be, but it looks a little out of focus for a Wertheimer shot.


The officers look more like Charlotte than New York, too.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 pm

I found the discussion where this pic was debated (and where I may have got it) and these pictures cristi posted present a convincing argument for NY http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58012

Image
Image

I kept the picture in the page but moved it and re-captioned it as believed to be July 1st. Its still fits because I mention the Steve Allen show after the Charlotte. What are folks thoughts though on the other one with the cop believed to be Charlotte?

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:11 pm

Notice the one hilton22000 feels is outside the Hudson Theater in New York, where Elvis shakes someone's hand as he walks, shows at least one cop without a gun belt. This leads me to believe these are not police officers, but security guards. Would such guards be more likely in Charlotte?

Notice also, the photo taken from behind, posted by James, we see the officer to Elvis' right is much taller. The guys with Elvis in hilton22000's photo are about the same height.

Is hilton22000's from New York? Maybe not.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
hilton22000 wrote:Wonderful page, like always, thank you very much, Jim :smt006
Still, i have a problem: the photo below looks to be from July 1, 1956, outside Houston Theater, after Steve Allen show (Alfred Wertheimer photo)


could be, but it looks a little out of focus for a Wertheimer shot.

Wertheimer has a LOT of out of focus photos, we saw only (a small) part of the best shots, published in his books.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 pm

The review for Charlotte talks of (squads) 20 policemen at the stage in Charlotte and their shot from the back shows one person in a uniform on the right. It appears to be a different color uniform though than the uniformed escorts in these other photos, wherever they are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:30 pm

I guess the girl is the same in both photos. I'm very sure the photo in discution is from July 1, there are more than 2 officers or guards, Doc, so no matter if one is taller or not.
This is just my oppinion, i'm not say this is the supreme truth - just my opinion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:41 pm

There's a strong resemblance here too
resemblence.jpg



Long sleeves in July too, odd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:49 pm

And here's The Colonel near the car, i don't think he was in Charlotte.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:16 am

JamesVRoy wrote:There's a strong resemblance here too
resemblence.jpg



Long sleeves in July too, odd.


That one is the clincher for me -- hilton22000's is from New York on July 1.

Bear in mind, it might be blurry because it was taken by a fan, not Al Wertheimer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 am

hilton22000 wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
hilton22000 wrote:Wonderful page, like always, thank you very much, Jim :smt006
Still, i have a problem: the photo below looks to be from July 1, 1956, outside Houston Theater, after Steve Allen show (Alfred Wertheimer photo)


could be, but it looks a little out of focus for a Wertheimer shot.

Wertheimer has a LOT of out of focus photos, we saw only (a small) part of the best shots, published in his books.


Where did this come from though if Al took it and he didn't publish it?

Also, Where do we stand with this one then since we're agreed about the other(s) being NYC? I'm inclined to say New York on the 1st also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:47 am

Just before i was looking to my photos from June 25 and saw this one, and i saw the officer's uniform, too - yes, i think this is from July 1, too.
I'm not sure 100% that all these photos are taken by Wertheimer, can be fan photos, too. I have mine (the photo in discution) from a dvd, it's a screenshot, maibe it was Elvis '56 dvd, i can't remember.
But, like i said before, Wertheimer has many, many blurry photos.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:07 am

hilton22000 wrote:Just before i was looking to my photos from June 25 and saw this one, and i saw the officer's uniform, too - yes, i think this is from July 1, too.
I'm not sure 100% that all these photos are taken by Wertheimer, can be fan photos, too. I have mine (the photo in discution) from a dvd, it's a screenshot, maibe it was Elvis '56 dvd, i can't remember.
But, like i said before, Wertheimer has many, many blurry photos.


Fans certainly could have made some of the July 1 images.

To be fair, Wertheimer took thousands of Presley shots in 1956, so "many, many blurry photos" is a misleading comment. The percentage of such photos could well be less than 5% of the total number taken.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Sorry for coming in on such a late note, have been kind of busy with other things.

I have just got confirmation from a reliable source that the blurry photo that hilton22000 is questioning is 100% from New York and 100% a Wertheimer shot.
I couldnĀ“t get confirmation on the close-up photo but I am sure this one is also from New York.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk (new updated website)

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:53 pm

OK, great stuff. I removed the pix in question from the Charlotte page. I don't use Al's pix without permission and though I'm sure he'd give it I'm not going to bother since they aren't from Charlotte. When it was in question it was worth leaving because it almost fit with the mention of the Steve Allen show but now that we're sure it is (they are) from NYC its really out of context. There's enough pix anyway from Charlotte to support the topic and I like to think they are more than just pix of Elvis (though most just skim them for that).
Thanks folks.

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Your venue-topics are always very well researched James and definitely worth reading.
I find myself coming back to your venue-pages time after time and not just for the pix.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk (new updated website)

Re: June 26, 1956 - Charlotte Coliseum

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hilton22000 wrote:Just before i was looking to my photos from June 25 and saw this one, and i saw the officer's uniform, too - yes, i think this is from July 1, too.
I'm not sure 100% that all these photos are taken by Wertheimer, can be fan photos, too. I have mine (the photo in discution) from a dvd, it's a screenshot, maibe it was Elvis '56 dvd, i can't remember.
But, like i said before, Wertheimer has many, many blurry photos.


Fans certainly could have made some of the July 1 images.

To be fair, Wertheimer took thousands of Presley shots in 1956, so "many, many blurry photos" is a misleading comment. The percentage of such photos could well be less than 5% of the total number taken.

Well, Doc, you're right, "many, many blurry photos" must be read "some blurry photos", and it's perfectly normal, Wertheimer took tousands of photos on the move, quick shots, Elvis is not posing for these photos, most of the time he forget about the camera. I love these photos and respect Al Wertheimer work, his photos are like a frosen second from Elvis' life.

Thank you for confirmation, Brian, now we're sure about the dates.