Off Topic Messages

The Pope

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:39 am

What is the back story?

Is this to stop a potential scandal.

Has the new Dan Brown upcoming book have a bearing'

Seems strange considering he is breaking 600 years of tradition.

Re: The Pope

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 am

I'm not interested in whatever the reason is - I'd just like to see sanity prevail by NOT picking a successor, and firing the rest of the heap.
Then the entire Vatican could be what it's best suited to be - a museum.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 am

KiwiAlan wrote:What is the back story?

It was about to be revealed that Catholic priests had been abusing children for years & years & it was all hushed up.

No - wait, we already knew that.....................

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:28 pm

You can't please all the papal all the time.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:56 pm

KHoots wrote:You can't please all the papal all the time.

:D ::rocks

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 pm

KHoots wrote:You can't please all the papal all the time.

Good one KHoots

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:45 am

No back story. He's an old man who wants to retire and not die before our eyes like John Paul II.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360723522.454558.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 am

paulsweeney wrote:No back story. He's an old man who wants to retire and not die before our eyes like John Paul II.

That's my interpretation. Obviously, it can be "spun" in many different ways, depending on your mindset.

My first reaction was surprise. But that was immediately followed by the feeling that this was a refreshingly modern and progressive way to go about things -- one that other aging world leaders/figures may want to consider. :)

Aggiornamento, baby!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 am

MaryAnn wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:No back story. He's an old man who wants to retire and not die before our eyes like John Paul II.

That's my interpretation. Obviously, it can be "spun" in many different ways, depending on your mindset.

My first reaction was surprise. But that was immediately followed by the feeling that this was a refreshingly modern and progressive way to go about things -- one that other aging world leaders/figures may want to consider. :)

Aggiornamento, baby!

The words 'modern & progressive' and 'Catholic' hardly fit together !

Don't they still ban contraception ?

Luckily, most of them just ignore this ancient & outdated rule !

One day, they'll wake up & realise we're in the 21st century..........

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm

ColinB wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:

Aggiornamento, baby!

The words 'modern & progressive' and 'Catholic' hardly fit together !

Don't they still ban contraception ?

Luckily, most of them just ignore this ancient & outdated rule !

One day, they'll wake up & realise we're in the 21st century..........

Let's hope all religions will one day realise it's 2013 and their fairytale just that, a fairytale.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm

ColinB wrote:

It was about to be revealed that Catholic priests had been abusing children for years & years & it was all hushed up.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Lets hope the next pope is a much younger man ! at least in his 50s !!!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:09 pm

rocknroller wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Maybe I was a tad harsh there.

Of course, the Pope himself wasn't personally responsible for the cover up.

He had a cardinal who was charged with making sure the investigations into child sex abuse, by Catholioc priests, were delayed & quashed.

The cardinal in question was none other than one Joseph Ratzinger who is the current Pope & about to resign !

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm

ColinB wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Maybe I was a tad harsh there.

Of course, the Pope himself wasn't personally responsible for the cover up.

He had a cardinal who was charged with making sure the investigations into child sex abuse, by Catholioc priests, were delayed & quashed.

The cardinal in question was none other than one Joseph Ratzinger who is the current Pope & about to resign !

So whats your point !!! :lol:

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm

rocknroller wrote:So whats your point !!! :lol:

My point ?

Well, to sum up: Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish !

And the US population should offer up a joint apology to Sinead O'Connor, who was treated so badly for simply standing up & speaking the truth !

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:50 pm

ColinB wrote:
rocknroller wrote:So whats your point !!! :lol:

My point ?

Well, to sum up: Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish !

And the US population should offer up a joint apology to Sinead O'Connor, who was treated so badly for simply standing up & speaking the truth !

The next pope will not make a dam bit of difference ! the catholic church is stuck in Middle Ages !!!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:00 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360723522.454558.jpg

Paul,

That is correct. He is now having to use a wheeled platform to move around the sanctuary and he had been in talks recently with his brother about stepping down due to his age. Wise move for Mr. Ratzinger, I say.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 pm

ColinB wrote:And the US population should offer up a joint apology to Sinead O'Connor, who was treated so badly for simply standing up & speaking the truth !

This isn't Joey the Rat... it's JP2... and Sinead O'Connor's political views weren't of interest to anyone...
although I'm not American I would hardly apologize to her for that spectacle...nice forum she chose too... I don't believe
it's a coincidence that she dropped off the face of the earth following that show... like she had a choice.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 am

rocknroller wrote:Lets hope the next pope is a much younger man ! at least in his 50s !!!

Let´s NOT hope for another pope!

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 am

phpBB [video]

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:12 am

Pope John Paul II’s Aide Rips Resignation, Like Coming 'Down from Cross'
Wednesday, 13 Feb 2013 11:06 AM
By Lisa Barron

Not everyone has kind words about Pope Benedict XVI’s decision to retire due to health issues. The late Pope John Paul II’s personal secretary appeared to criticize the move, pointing out that his former boss continued to work while dying of Parkinson’s disease.

John Paul “led the church to the end because he was convinced that one doesn’t come down from the cross,” said Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz of Krakow, Poland, in a radio interview, according to the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera.

In fact, he noted, “In those decisions he had always sought advice from Cardinal Ratzinger,” using Benedict’s name before he succeeded John Paul, who died in 2005 at the age of 84.

Still, Dziwisz praised Benedict, adding, “Both of them had a great charisma, and a great role for the church and for humanity.”

Dziwisz’s remarks came amid revelations by the Vatican that three months ago Benedict underwent surgery to replace the battery in a heart pacemaker implanted a decade ago.

That led him to “question himself with simplicity and decisiveness over his capacity to guide the ship of St. Peter,” reported the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore.

In announcing his resignation on Monday, Benedict cited his “advanced age” and “deteriorating” physical and mental strength. He will step down from the papacy on Feb. 28, becoming the first Pope to retire in nearly 600 years.

Benedict will preside over his last public Mass as Pope during Ash Wednesday services at St. Peter’s Basilica.

Obamacare: Massive New Rules Revealed for 2013

© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 am

MB280E wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Lets hope the next pope is a much younger man ! at least in his 50s !!!

Sincerely MB280E

:?

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:12 am

MB280E wrote:

Sincerely MB280E

Well, there will be another Pope. Two thousand years of history says there will be.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:39 am

MaryAnn wrote:
MB280E wrote:

Sincerely MB280E

Well, there will be another Pope. Two thousand years of history says there will be.

Has it really been that long ?

Time for a change.............

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:23 pm

ColinB wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:
MB280E wrote:

Sincerely MB280E

Has it really been that long ?

Time for a change.............

Female Pope? :D