Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: TTWII Blu-ray ???

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:36 am

dennyelvis wrote:Any BR PLAYER recommendations at under £100 ? thats about my limit at moment ........... must be able to play at 1080p and movie files divx mkv etc ............

I have 2 blu-ray players.....PS3 and a cheap Samsung BD-E5300 model.
The Samsung one has really poor picture quality compared to the PS3....it even has
playback problems on a few discs.....picture stuttering every now and then and sound drop out.
This occur on some releases that has advanced options to the disc and high bitrate on movie.
The only positive thing I can say that it plays most HD files copied to a memory stick and plugged
in the USB port.....MKV,MP4++++.....that you are looking for,PS3 have a limited media files support.
My BOXEE Box plays the same media files with better picture quality though.
I would advise you to save up more money for a decent player.........Panasonic are the best ones IMO

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 am

KingElvis wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:Any BR PLAYER recommendations at under £100 ? thats about my limit at moment ........... must be able to play at 1080p and movie files divx mkv etc ............

The Samsung one has really poor picture quality compared to the PS3....it even has
playback problems on a few discs.....picture stuttering every now and then and sound drop out.
This occur on some releases that has advanced options to the disc and high bitrate on movie.
The only positive thing I can say that it plays most HD files copied to a memory stick and plugged
in the USB port.....MKV,MP4++++.....that you are looking for,PS3 have a limited media files support.
I would advise you to save up more money for a decent player.........Panasonic are the best ones IMO

Do you have the latest firmware update for your Samsung player? This should at least solve the playback issues.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:15 am

Panasonic or Sony in that price range. My budget Pana player is still going strong after two years. It has never had any playback issues.

This is the budget 2012 player.

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players ... 20317.html

Another option is the Sony bdp-390.
Last edited by Claus on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 am

Upscaled DVDs look nice, but they are not "near BluRay quality".

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 am

Suds wrote:I'm not sure what "blown up" would mean for picture clarity, but wasn't TTWII a 35mm film blown up to 70mm?

http://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/y ... /index.htm

Thanks for the info!
I always thought those huge cameras were 70mm, but I also always wondered how they could film that hand-held stuff in 70mm...

I don't know how the quality compare between a blowup from 35mm or a 'genuine' 70mm movie.
According to this article from 1964, it's really good, and this supposedly became the end of movies shot in 70mm...
http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/35-70mm.htm

HoneyTalkNelson on this board usually knows stuff like this! Please enlighten us!

The quality of the 70mm showing of TTWII was amazing. Better than any "ordinary" cinema screening I've ever seen...

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:13 am

Sorry to derail the thread slightly but I noticed on the blu-ray.com websites that King Creole is now listed albeit without a release date. Obviously fantastic news if true - does anyone here know if it is possible to get more info on this?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Claus wrote:
KingElvis wrote:

Do you have the latest firmware update for your Samsung player? This should at least solve the playback issues.

Not if there has been a firm update in the last month or so......my brother has lended the player now.
I dont use it anymore since PS3 is so much better.

dd1607 wrote:Sorry to derail the thread slightly but I noticed on the blu-ray.com websites that King Creole is now listed albeit without a release date. Obviously fantastic news if true - does anyone here know if it is possible to get more info on this?

Thats just general info......KC could be released later this year or in 2015...your guess is just as good as mine :?
Other Elvis movies are listed there as well.....like Blue Hawaii.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Is there a huge diff on the ps3 compared to standalone players ?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:32 pm

With 1080p material through HDMI, no. With interlaced material, there might be a difference. The ps3 is quite fast, though.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:25 pm

Actually, Kingelvis, you're right (partly): both Blue Hawaii and King Creole are listed but no other new titles. Suggests something is in the works for both. Would be good to know more.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 pm

I am sure they are working on releasing ETTWII on Blu-Ray.

I think the hold up is, they are in meetings, and they can't agree on what songs to edit out.

Once they decide, I am sure we will get ETTII on Blu-Ray.

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:30 am

dd1607 wrote:Actually, Kingelvis, you're right (partly): both Blue Hawaii and King Creole are listed but no other new titles. Suggests something is in the works for both. Would be good to know more.

A double feature from Warner would be nice.

Fri May 17, 2013 9:20 am

For anyone who has itunes or Apple TV, TTWII is now become available to purchase in HD 720p

Thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 am

The difference between DVD and Blu-ray on the "On Tour"-Movie is not a reason to by a new player. It is a shame, what MGM have done with it. :shock:

Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
I don't know if you have that silly motion smoother setting on your Panasonic but it's kind of fun to set it at medium and watch "TTWII" or "EOT" because it makes it look like it was shot on video instead of film. (Like "Aloha from Hawaii," for example.) Why would someone want to do that? I don't have a good answer other than it just gives it a different look. Change of pace, perhaps?

Its called Soap Opera Effect. What happens is that it doubles the number of frames of the video you´re watching. The result is that it looks more like a home video than film ( film uses 24 frames per second).
Soap operas are shoot using video tape and not film, hence the name of the effect.
I like to watch documentaries and Elvis concerts with the effect on because it gives you the impression it´s "real". But most pictures will look "cheap" with the effect on.

Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm

Sergio Luiz wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:
I don't know if you have that silly motion smoother setting on your Panasonic but it's kind of fun to set it at medium and watch "TTWII" or "EOT" because it makes it look like it was shot on video instead of film. (Like "Aloha from Hawaii," for example.) Why would someone want to do that? I don't have a good answer other than it just gives it a different look. Change of pace, perhaps?

Its called Soap Opera Effect. What happens is that it doubles the number of frames of the video you´re watching. The result is that it looks more like a home video than film ( film uses 24 frames per second).
Soap operas are shoot using video tape and not film, hence the name of the effect.
I like to watch documentaries and Elvis concerts with the effect on because it gives you the impression it´s "real". But most pictures will look "cheap" with the effect on.

Where is this setting, and how do you know if it's on or not? (I have a Samsung with the 450 Clear Motion thingy. Very powerful. But I don't know all the settings.)

I have noticed an "overly real" effect on some films. Like it's a "making of" tape, and not the film! I mean: it's almost "too good." Seriously.

I am sure others here have had this experience, as I have seen others on the web mentioning it. And this Soap Opera effect was brought up in connection.

Please clarify. Perhaps my settings need adjustment.

I watched "The Graduate" last weekend, and it looked so good, so crystal clear, I thought it was a tape from The Actors Studio or something, instead of the movie. It kind of lost its surreal quality.

I think you folks know what I'm talking about.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Fri May 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Claus wrote:
dd1607 wrote:Actually, Kingelvis, you're right (partly): both Blue Hawaii and King Creole are listed but no other new titles. Suggests something is in the works for both. Would be good to know more.

Actually this is worthy of its own thread. Best news for me today. The web site mentioned is a very good one. But King Creole is listed as Warner when it should be Paramount as is Blue Hawaii. Maybe a minor mistake.

Fri May 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Would folks here buy every Elvis movie all over gain if they came out on Blu-ray? I ask this because I know people that bought every VHS version (different box, cover, etc), then once DVDs came out, re-bought them all over again? Just curious. For me, it would be King Creole and TTWII only. I have Viva & EOT on Blu-ray.

Fri May 17, 2013 5:51 pm

r&b wrote:Would folks here buy every Elvis movie all over gain if they came out on Blu-ray? I ask this because I know people that bought every VHS version (different box, cover, etc), then once DVDs came out, re-bought them all over again? Just curious. For me, it would be King Creole and TTWII only. I have Viva & EOT on Blu-ray.

I have no Elvis DVDs in my collection.

I would buy on blu TTWII, maybe blue Hawaii, jailhouse rock, loving you and king creole. The rest I just watch when they pop up on tv.

Fri May 17, 2013 6:14 pm

I would have thought that the digital transfer from the original film footage for TTWII SE is in HD by default. From this master copy it is transfered to DVD which then automatically downgrades the output quality by virtue of the formats limitations.

To release TTWII SE on blu ray is just a transfer from the original digital copy already in existence - Correct?????

Fri May 17, 2013 8:03 pm

elvisbot wrote: (don't let anyone tell you anything different), with the right adjustments on a good television, you can get "near" blu ray quality from a standard DVD.

Wrong ! if you play a blu-ray on a full HD tv then a dvd does not even come anywhere near as close !!!

Fri May 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Sergio Luiz wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

It's an effect that I would never normally use. I heard that "The Hobbit" has that effect, too, due to the projection format of 48fps. I don't think I would enjoy that. But watching TTWII with the "Soap Opera Effect" is really interesting. As you said, it gives the impression that it's "real." Or live. And, like I said earlier, it shows what it might have looked like if the satellite show had happened in 1970 instead of 1973. (According to Peter Guralnick's Careless Love the closed-circuit TV deal fell through after LA Times' reviewer Robert Hilburn leaked the details.)

Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm

L Ray wrote:
Claus wrote:

Actually this is worthy of its own thread. Best news for me today. The web site mentioned is a very good one. But King Creole is listed as Warner when it should be Paramount as is Blue Hawaii. Maybe a minor mistake.

Warner has overtaken the distribution of Paramount catalogue titles, which is good news as the release of the Paramount catalogue titles have been very slow.

Fri May 17, 2013 9:32 pm

TTWII on BD ? This was discussed many moons and many times before. Not gonna happen. The bean counters at Warner don't see dollar signs on such a venture. We were lucky enough to get EOT on BD, sans JBG. Maybe a slight chance in 2020, but doubtful at best.

Fri May 17, 2013 9:34 pm

rjm wrote:
Where is this setting, and how do you know if it's on or not? (I have a Samsung with the 450 Clear Motion thingy. Very powerful. But I don't know all the settings.)

I have noticed an "overly real" effect on some films. Like it's a "making of" tape, and not the film! I mean: it's almost "too good." Seriously.

I am sure others here have had this experience, as I have seen others on the web mentioning it. And this Soap Opera effect was brought up in connection.

Please clarify. Perhaps my settings need adjustment.

I watched "The Graduate" last weekend, and it looked so good, so crystal clear, I thought it was a tape from The Actors Studio or something, instead of the movie. It kind of lost its surreal quality.

I think you folks know what I'm talking about.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Hi rjm. I think what you´re experiencing is the Soap Opera Effect. Each brand/Model haves a different name for this function, but as far as I know every one can be turned on/off in the settings. All the films watched with the function turned on will look like video tape, more or less. PM me with your TV set model and I´ll try to help you with this.