Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis is no longer collectable?. You must be kidding!.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 pm

intheghetto wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:The method in collecting memorabilia is changing everyday. Although generation gaps have always existed it’s the activities and interests of today's generation raised more on today's technology has caused the change more than anything else imo.

I know a lot of people having no interest in having any type of print items (books, photos, magazines) anymore. I was visiting my friend this past weekend, and his new neighbors have tablets hanging in rooms showing family photos, paintings etc. and they removed all bookshelves... not one book in the entire house. When I mentioned delivering newspapers when I was young, they just laugh.

Our culture is blindly and sometimes foolishly surrendering to the convenience the digital age provides. It's a human desire to want things and want them fast, but when everything you do or surround yourself with, the way you communicate relies exclusively on electricity and servers you're just inviting disaster. All machines fail and we are now putting too much trust in them. I had no power for four days during Hurricane Sandy, that meant no cell phone, no email, no internet, not to mention lights and television. What was the only reliable source? THE RADIO running on that old time analog entity called alkaline batteries with signals that travel through the air from antenna to antenna and NOT on some server connected to an internet provider. I also think that people are distancing themselves from the tactile and IMO that's a bad thing. If all your experiences are virtual and everything you do requires looking at an elctronic screen, what does that say about how we exist on the planet? It also seems that people are more distracted than ever before not to mention a little dangerous. For example some people think it's okay to text and drive. I mean, is it okay to read a book or magazine and drive too? Cell phone conversations also have lowered the bar in terms of common courtesy, or do people remember that common courtesy even exists? I think people need to start thinking that in the digital age everything more than the analog age, hangs in the balance. One good break in the circuit and you're S-O-L. All your photos, personal data, and whatever else you store on a hard drive or server can vanish and be gone for good.

I agree with a lot of points you highlighted.

How has technology influenced youth culture? Technology is part of their ideology, their language, everything they do. Not surprisingly, when teens misbehave, parents still ground their kids—not from going outside, but from going online.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I thought this thread was about the Elvis being collectible or not. Sorry to dissapoint you Intheghetto but whether the digital age in general is a good thing or not is not being discussed. Ebay is only referend to because it is the main auction site and some of us - and I am among them - feel this site unmasked the high prices dealers were asking in the pre-internet age.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:52 am

intheghetto wrote:
Alexander wrote:I thought this thread was about the Elvis being collectible or not. Sorry to dissapoint you Intheghetto but whether the digital age in general is a good thing or not is not being discussed. Ebay is only referend to because it is the main auction site and some of us - and I am among them - feel this site unmasked the high prices dealers were asking in the pre-internet age.

Feel free to let the others know as well. The digital age is not beIng discussed? If you go back a few posts I'm afraid that you'll see that it is. Someone mentioned that they felt virtual media was replacing print and I responded to that. Someone else brought politics into the conversation. Why you've decided to single me out I don't know...or care.

Didn't see anything wrong with your post, intheghetto. Digital age will play a huge part on how current and new fans collect Elvis. We're already seeing it!

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 am

Not really digital age cd you can find a dime a dozen at used stores thrift stores flea mkts etc.
People are stupid thinking a unplayable Elvis record is worth a lot of money.
Records are still collectable over cds.
It's a great time to buy Elvis records off ebay you don't have unless it's a very rare one.
Go on Ebay search Elvis record see how many are on there.Same goes for the Beatles too.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:08 am

ritchie valens wrote:People are stupid thinking a unplayable Elvis record is worth a lot of money.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the one and only voice of reason.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 am

intheghetto wrote: Why you've decided to single me out I don't know...or care.

It's because you're so special.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:17 pm

intheghetto wrote:
Alexander wrote:I thought this thread was about the Elvis being collectible or not. Sorry to dissapoint you Intheghetto but whether the digital age in general is a good thing or not is not being discussed. Ebay is only referend to because it is the main auction site and some of us - and I am among them - feel this site unmasked the high prices dealers were asking in the pre-internet age.

Feel free to let the others know as well. The digital age is not beIng discussed? If you go back a few posts I'm afraid that you'll see that it is. Someone mentioned that they felt virtual media was replacing print and I responded to that. Someone else brought politics into the conversation. Why you've decided to single me out I don't know...or care.

Not meant to single you out, Intheghetto but I sincerely thing your post went off topic. Everything has its pros and cons. Same with the digital age. People driving around on horses all day has its plusses as well but I am glad that I own a car nowadays. But that was to my opinion not what this discussion was about. Feel free to disagree though: your opinion in the end is as good as mine. :D So sorry if you felt 'singles out' and back to the question: is Elvis no longer collectible?

I think he is although probably the number of vinyl collectors is decreasing as decades go by and items for sale outnumber demand quite often.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 pm

I do like how some our using the panels to display a lot of Elvis's memorabilia you normally don't get a chance to see or never have seen... movie posters-lobby cards, promotional items, photos, RCA's releases and information-photos from newspapers/books/websites. Also having panels/tablets as a resource to reference quickly as well is fantastic.

I don't understand how some Collectors keep their Elvis memorabilia stored away and haven't seen some of it in years! Because their worried about it getting damaged. I guess everyone has their own way of enjoying and collecting Elvis.

Last edited by EPA4368 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 pm

I think this thread is a bit confusing. Overall Elvis record prices are down and by that I mean the standard stuff, 45s , EPS, orig albums. Years ago, a collector had to pay 25-30 for a nice copy of Big Hunk O Love with a mint sleeve. Today, you can find them plentiful 10-15. Thats what I mean when I said prices are down all over. As for SUNs, mono Speedways, SPD-23, etc, those prices remain high for now, because as someone said, not only Elvis collectors are interested but also vinyl collectors as well. And those items are super rare compared to the standard stuff. I think thats the difference. On the whole original Beatles 45s & LPs consistently command more money than Elvis. First, there are less Beatles releases overall, and secondly, there are probably more active Beatles collectors now as the Elvis collectors continue to worry more about Medicare than a mint sleeve. As a person who buys and sells on Ebay, I know this is a fact when it comes to the normal record releases (not the super rare stuff). Many of the Elvis collectors I did shows with in the 70's & 80's are too old to care or sadly have passed on. One more thing, just because a person may list something for 300.00 on Ebay, doesnt mean it is worth that much, or they will get that price. More often than not, they don't.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 pm

r&b wrote:I think this thread is a bit confusing. Overall Elvis record prices are down and by that I mean the standard stuff, 45s , EPS, orig albums. Years ago, a collector had to pay 25-30 for a nice copy of Big Hunk O Love with a mint sleeve. Today, you can find them plentiful 10-15. Thats what I mean when I said prices are down all over. As for SUNs, mono Speedways, SPD-23, etc, those prices remain high for now, because as someone said, not only Elvis collectors are interested but also vinyl collectors as well. And those items are super rare compared to the standard stuff. I think thats the difference. On the whole original Beatles 45s & LPs consistently command more money than Elvis. First, there are less Beatles releases overall, and secondly, there are probably more active Beatles collectors now as the Elvis collectors continue to worry more about Medicare than a mint sleeve. As a person who buys and sells on Ebay, I know this is a fact when it comes to the normal record releases (not the super rare stuff). Many of the Elvis collectors I did shows with in the 70's & 80's are too old to care or sadly have passed on. One more thing, just because a person may list something for 300.00 on Ebay, doesnt mean it is worth that much, or they will get that price. More often than not, they don't.

Totally agree.

Prices are down due to the economy but I think mostly due to supply and demand.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 pm

EPA4368 wrote: Prices are down due to the economy but I think mostly due to supply and demand.

Exactly. On Ebay today 50 copies of Elvis LPM 1382 are listed. A collector can afford to be very picky. Probably only 50% will get bids.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Alexander wrote:
EPA4368 wrote: Prices are down due to the economy but I think mostly due to supply and demand.

Exactly. On Ebay today 50 copies of Elvis LPM 1382 are listed. A collector can afford to be very picky. Probably only 50% will get bids.

Also believe like Hound Dog 2000 pointed out in another thread, this is why we're seeing more Fake: Rare or in Mint condition, Originally Sealed from factory, One-of-a-kind items being listed and sold. Unfortunately, these items are being listed and sold by known Elvis sellers. And making things worse for us Elvis fans, some of these guys have input into Osborne's books.

Sometimes there are some great finds out. But if it's too good to be true or you're in doubt, best to pass.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Did a lot of shows in the 70s-90s. Very rarely did a sealed 60's Elvis album come along. Today they are out there in numbers. Hmmm.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

EPA4368 wrote:Also believe like Hound Dog 2000 pointed out in another thread...

From the single Hound Dog/ Don't Be Cruel (47-6604) only 21 copies are listed. I think someone did a general search on 'Hound dog' since 2,000 is quite far from the truth.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:31 pm

If Osborne would put prices of $1 to $5 in his book, nobody would buy his books anymore...... :smt003
Also, if you take your rare item to a dealer to sell, you get peanuts with the excuse he has to pay rent, taxes, electricity, et cetera.
The value of discs in priceguides is highly exagerated.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Alexander wrote:

From the single Hound Dog/ Don't Be Cruel (47-6604) only 21 copies are listed. I think someone did a general search on 'Hound dog' since 2,000 is quite far from the truth.

Sorry, I meant Image

r&b wrote:Did a lot of shows in the 70s-90s. Very rarely did a sealed 60's Elvis album come along. Today they are out there in numbers. Hmmm.

Didn't see many either but they are out there in numbers... probably more fakes than originals.

Also seeing a lot more of these special packaging by record distributors and/or by record shops more than before. Of course don't see any old advertisements or documents showing they actually existed.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:40 pm

I wouldnt trust most sealed, or 'shrink still on LP' items anymore. Fake stickers, bonus photos also are not to be trusted (especially from a few cetain dealers!)

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:41 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Sorry, I meant Image.

:facep:

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Price guide prices are bogus. Mostly overrated. I never go by them. If I am at a show and I see a dealer looking in a book to see what the price is, I walk away.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 pm

r&b wrote:Price guide prices are bogus. Mostly overrated. I never go by them. If I am at a show and I see a dealer looking in a book to see what the price is, I walk away.

Many Elvis items are becoming easier to find these days due to Ebay and other music sites and also down to the fact that many big collectors have sadly passed away in the last few years. I know of at least 10 serious collctors in the UK who have died fairly recently and I guess their stuff will end up on the market. It will happen to us all I'm affraid. You are just 'looking after' the stuff you have whilst you are here. (Life has 2 things you can't subtract - death and taxes, to be exa-a-a-act)!

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Our favorite Elvis seller is at it again! Another gold sticker found. Reminds me of the gold tickets in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-C ... 1c2f7dab90

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Great thread!!!

::rocks

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Great thread!!!

::rocks

Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 pm

r&b wrote:Our favorite Elvis seller is at it again! Another gold sticker found. Reminds me of the gold tickets in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-C ... 1c2f7dab90

More to come...

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:08 pm

LOL!