Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Rapid City 21st june 1977

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Just imagine a FTD double shot featuring the Omaha and Rapid City performances. A dream coming true for those 1977 enthusiasts.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Exogenesis wrote:Just imagine a FTD double shot featuring the Omaha and Rapid City performances. A dream coming true for those 1977 enthusiasts.

No way. the Omaha concert. The tapes should have been destroyed immediately after the event.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Um.....I thought that "Adios" (and it's variations) was the last professionally recorded CD? Or am I mistaken?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 pm

It was recorded by a member of the audience. The Rapid City show was recorded professionally on multi track.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Exogenesis wrote:Just imagine a FTD double shot featuring the Omaha and Rapid City performances. A dream coming true for those 1977 enthusiasts.

Yes!

From Rapid City, June 21 1977:

Elvis: "They couldn't put diapers on me ... my mother said, BOOM, 'Be still!'"

Charlie: "Ah ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!"

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 pm

I don't think there is a straight up soundboard for Rapid City. There are enough sources to make a mock-up of the complete concert though. The best source probably is from that set that came out last year, and even then they took some liberties. Their version of My Way came from the EIC broadcast (I think), while a raw version existed from the black and white tapes from the same concert.

This is what exists out there that I know of that pertains to Rapid City

That Box Set From Last Year or the Year Before (2011) - Almost "complete" concert sans Band Intros and edited ending. Does feature Keyboard solo, and the EIC version of My Way.

The CBS Tapes (2001-02) - Missing "My Way," Band Introductions. Can't Help Falling In Love cuts off right at the end. "Hurt," and "My Way," and "I Really Don't Want to Know" are cut.

Elvis Presley: A Black and White Knight (2000-01) - Show cuts off at start of Band Intros. The first half of the show is intact.

This Is Elvis (1983 - Video Edition) - A edit of Elvis walking on to the stage and talking from Rapid City, and some from Omaha. Love Me from Omaha, My Way from Rapid city with tagged on ending from the Omaha concert.

This is Elvis (1983 - Film Edition) - Same as above, but it features the complete "Are You Lonesome Tonight" from Rapid City.

Elvis In Concert (October 3, 1977) - See See Rider, That's All Right, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Mountain, Jailhouse Rock, I Really Don't Want to Know, Hurt, Hound Dog, and My Way from Rapid City.

Elvis In Concert (LP, 1977) - About 75% of Rapid City (albeit dubbed) is on both LPs.

Our mock-up with deal with the first three sources, and only use the other ones when needed. TBS is the best source, and its the best edited source audio-wise although there are still some changes I'd make to the edit.

2001 Theme (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
See See Rider (/w false start) (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
I Got A Woman/Amen (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
That's All Right (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
Are You Lonesome Tonight (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
Love Me (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
You Gave Me a Mountain (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Jailhouse Rock (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
O Solo Mio/It's Now or Never (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Trying to get to you (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Hawaiian Wedding Song (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
My Way (TBA, ABWK) - ABWK actually had the raw version of My Way, but the film was black and white, watermarked.
Band Introductions (TBA, EIC-LIP, and edits from June 19, 1977)
Early Morning Rain (EIC-LP)
What I'd Say (EIC-LP)
Johnny B. Goode (EIC-LP)
Ronnie Tutt Drum Solo (June 19, 1977)
Jerry Scheff Solo (June 19, 1977)
Tony Brown Solo (June 19, 1977)
I Really Don't Want to Know (TBC, EIC)
Bobby Odgin (TBC)
Elvis Introduces Father (TBC) - Could do a splice with TCT and EIC, but TBC is the best source and no need to splice)
Hurt (TBC, EIC) - TBC is best source. Complete dialogue before song, not on EIC.
Hound Dog (TBC, TCT)
Unchained Melody (TBC, TCT)
Can't Help Falling in Love (TBC) or a splice of TCT, EIC, and TIE.
Closing Vamp (TBS, TIE)

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:16 am

Would love to hear how the rapid city show would sound remixed i'm guessing pretty dam good

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:15 am

fg76 wrote:I don't think there is a straight up soundboard for Rapid City. There are enough sources to make a mock-up of the complete concert though. The best source probably is from that set that came out last year, and even then they took some liberties. Their version of My Way came from the EIC broadcast (I think), while a raw version existed from the black and white tapes from the same concert.

This is what exists out there that I know of that pertains to Rapid City

That Box Set From Last Year or the Year Before (2011) - Almost "complete" concert sans Band Intros and edited ending. Does feature Keyboard solo, and the EIC version of My Way.

The CBS Tapes (2001-02) - Missing "My Way," Band Introductions. Can't Help Falling In Love cuts off right at the end. "Hurt," and "My Way," and "I Really Don't Want to Know" are cut.

Elvis Presley: A Black and White Knight (2000-01) - Show cuts off at start of Band Intros. The first half of the show is intact.

This Is Elvis (1983 - Video Edition) - A edit of Elvis walking on to the stage and talking from Rapid City, and some from Omaha. Love Me from Omaha, My Way from Rapid city with tagged on ending from the Omaha concert.

This is Elvis (1983 - Film Edition) - Same as above, but it features the complete "Are You Lonesome Tonight" from Rapid City.

Elvis In Concert (October 3, 1977) - See See Rider, That's All Right, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Mountain, Jailhouse Rock, I Really Don't Want to Know, Hurt, Hound Dog, and My Way from Rapid City.

Elvis In Concert (LP, 1977) - About 75% of Rapid City (albeit dubbed) is on both LPs.

Our mock-up with deal with the first three sources, and only use the other ones when needed. TBS is the best source, and its the best edited source audio-wise although there are still some changes I'd make to the edit.

2001 Theme (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
See See Rider (/w false start) (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
I Got A Woman/Amen (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
That's All Right (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
Are You Lonesome Tonight (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
Love Me (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) (TBS, TCT, ABWK)
You Gave Me a Mountain (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Jailhouse Rock (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
O Solo Mio/It's Now or Never (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Trying to get to you (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Hawaiian Wedding Song (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel (TBA, TCT, ABWK)
My Way (TBA, ABWK) - ABWK actually had the raw version of My Way, but the film was black and white, watermarked.
Band Introductions (TBA, EIC-LIP, and edits from June 19, 1977)
Early Morning Rain (EIC-LP)
What I'd Say (EIC-LP)
Johnny B. Goode (EIC-LP)
Ronnie Tutt Drum Solo (June 19, 1977)
Jerry Scheff Solo (June 19, 1977)
Tony Brown Solo (June 19, 1977)
I Really Don't Want to Know (TBC, EIC)
Bobby Odgin (TBC)
Elvis Introduces Father (TBC) - Could do a splice with TCT and EIC, but TBC is the best source and no need to splice)
Hurt (TBC, EIC) - TBC is best source. Complete dialogue before song, not on EIC.
Hound Dog (TBC, TCT)
Unchained Melody (TBC, TCT)
Can't Help Falling in Love (TBC) or a splice of TCT, EIC, and TIE.
Closing Vamp (TBS, TIE)

"Our mock-up"?

Is this analysis copied from another site?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:15 am

OnTourCam wrote:Would love to hear how the rapid city show would sound remixed i'm guessing pretty dam good

Well, except for one thing.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes!

Actually Doc, that WAS funny,and I've always loved that part!!!!! 8)

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
OnTourCam wrote:Would love to hear how the rapid city show would sound remixed i'm guessing pretty dam good

What's that '77 lover? :roll:

Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 am

I would imagine Omaha would sound relatively OK with Charlie's ever-lasting, over-present vocal removed.

Rapid City remixed would sound better.

Some may call me insane, but like Rob - I will buy this from FTD and let you know how it is. 8)

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:27 pm

A remixed version surely would sound better. But still the King's voice would sound a little nasal, much older and less powerful than just three years before in Memphis. :(

Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 pm

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What's that '77 lover? :roll:

You can't remix tired, out-of-breath or flat lead vocals.

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Our mock-up"?

Is this analysis copied from another site?

Nope. It was my own.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:42 pm

I know many will disagree, and even I disagree a little bit now - but I used to love the June 21 show a lot. It was Elvis at his worst on his A-game. Meaning it might have been one of the best shows in 1977. Maybe that doesn't make it something worth re-watching, but it was a fun show to watch. I still find it to be a fun show, in spite of where Elvis was at this point. Not to sound blunt, but he probably took uppers for the show. I would like to say he took nothing, but he was very rapid for the whole show.

June 19, on the other hand, is painful to listen to or watch. Even if you couldn't hear Charlie's vocal. Elvis is just out there in space for the Omaha show, and never really comes down. It's rather shocking if you aren't in the know, because June 21 shows a very sick Elvis, but one ready to perform and entertain and knows where he is. June 19 - he doesn't have a clue and goes through the motions. "How Great Thou Art" is the standout, "Early Morning Rain" is actually good, and It's Now or Never was okay - but that show was horrible regardless.

After hearing June 24 on soundboard, that was as painful as June 19. It's better than the 19, but it is just painful to listen to.

June 26 is cool in one way because of the rare songs, but sad because they're done in keys Elvis would have never done them in.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 pm

fg76 wrote:he was very rapid for the whole show.

Well, he was in Rapid City.

For what it's worth, it may have been the best show of the year.

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 pm

fg76 wrote:I know many will disagree, and even I disagree a little bit now - but I used to love the June 21 show a lot. It was Elvis at his worst on his A-game.

?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
fg76 wrote:I know many will disagree, and even I disagree a little bit now - but I used to love the June 21 show a lot. It was Elvis at his worst on his A-game.

?

No, it actually makes sense, strangely. It was the best he could perform in June 1977. I disagree that June 24 is better than June 19. The Omaha concert is the better of the two concerts, by far.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:07 pm

stevelecher wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

?

No, it actually makes sense, strangely. It was the best he could perform in June 1977. I disagree that June 24 is better than June 19. The Omaha concert is the better of the two concerts, by far.

Thanks, Steve. That was my point. He was in really, really bad shape that whole tour and he put on his best performance probably on the 21st. I still think the 25th and 26th are decent, but that could change if soundboards popped up. The 21st is on a soundboard (mixed down multi) of sorts on the tapes, and its still enjoyable. Maybe not the best concert of 1977, but maybe the best of the tour.

As for June 19 and June 24, sometime I'll have to stomach for a re-listen. Both shows to me are just horrible, at least on soundboard. I used to think June 19 would have to be good because June 21 was, but it's not. That's All Right and Are You Lonesome Tonight - two songs he couldn't do wrong even in 1977 are horrible here. As he stares out in space and starts cussing on Are You Lonesome Tonight - I was yearning for "plus tax." If People think the AYLT on the This is Elvis film version is bad, show them the June 19 version. It's just incredible even now to hear the June 21 show, and then put in the June 24 one. Wow . . .
Last edited by fg76 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Also Kansas City June 18,..is just sad...

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Rob wrote:
fg76 wrote:he was very rapid for the whole show.

Well, he was in Rapid City.

For what it's worth, it may have been the best show of the year.

One contender is april 24 in Ann Arbour. Very goo voice for 1977.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Compared to other shows he did that year it was good. But if one is not used to the half-dead Presley of 1977 it's still shocking. :(

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:12 pm

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes!

Actually Doc, that WAS funny,and I've always loved that part!!!!! 8)

Yep, Elvis in the end, still making light of his image. Classic Elvis.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 pm

if ELVIS IN CONCERT ever comes out as classic album I'd release Rapid city complete with only some Omaha songs as bonus tracks on cd 1 and another concert from the same tour on cd 2, maybe Madison or Cincinnatti in case was recorded