Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ebay, Auctions or Price Guide Books?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:50 am

How do you check prices for your Elvis Records, Cds and collectibles? I used to check in the price guide books, but they are so low in Jerry Osbourne books. I don't use them anymore. I check for Ebay to see how many bids that were on and that know how much they are worth. Also, on some auctions. If there is no bidding, I looked on what was bidded before and that's how I know what's really worth. Right? :smt006

Re: Ebay, Auctions or Price Guide Books?

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 am

sheila wrote:How do you check prices for your Elvis Records, Cds and collectibles? I used to check in the price guide books, but they are so low in Jerry Osbourne books. I don't use them anymore. I check for Ebay to see how many bids that were on and that know how much they are worth. Also, on some auctions. If there is no bidding, I looked on what was bidded before and that's how I know what's really worth. Right? :smt006

'That exactly what I would do.

Price guide books to me are for reference only.

I have always found the prices in the guide books to be way too high.

I never ever sold records for what they were in the price guide books.

Usually only half up to 3/4 of the guide price listed.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:56 am

I'd be checking and keeping track of sold listings. Just be sure you're comparing item's condition sold to your item's condition.

Also suggest reaching out to your favorite seller or one recommended by another collector for help as well.

A price guide is just a "guide" but still worth the investment in having one, a lot of great information on how to help identify what you have.

If selling to a dealer, expect to be offered anywhere from 30% to 50% of the total value depending on the quality and condition of your items.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:19 am

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one. The Guide books are for reference, you're right. I do have them too. Ebay is the best to check from time to time. So, it's also interesting right now to see that some are selling too low than what it's worth. And, some are way too high telling you that it's very rare. You have to be a real Elvis expert to know what you are doing. There are some Newborn Elvis collectors are being RIPPED OFF and some don't know what they are doing. :smt006

Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 am

sheila wrote:Glad to know that I wasn't the only one. The Guide books are for reference, you're right. I do have them too. Ebay is the best to check from time to time. So, it's also interesting right now to see that some are selling too low than what it's worth. And, some are way too high telling you that it's very rare. You have to be a real Elvis expert to know what you are doing. There are some Newborn Elvis collectors are being RIPPED OFF and some don't know what they are doing. :smt006

Another thing to consider is that the market flucuates, so ebay is a good meter as to what is going on right now.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:18 pm

I know a shop that used to price his discs in accordance with the priceguide. However, he did not check whether it was an original or a 4th reprint or whether it was mint or poor condition, he all priced it way too high.
When people told him so, he said "you only want to buy it cheap from me".
Best bet is eBay as people who want an item make good bids.

Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 pm

I feel the Elvis market place has generally bottomed out now. Prices have dropped and I don't think its worth the effort to list things on e-bay because the market has been over saturated in recent years.
I have a lot of magazines and newspapers to shift and right now I'm seriously considering the paperbank has the place to visit.
I also have several books I'm selling but theres no interest at all. I have the Japanese "Elvis On Tour" book which I bought from Rex Martin in the late 1970's - no interest !!!
Most of my items have been in the loft / attic for the past 20 years and therefore I am being logical and know I have to dispose of them as I've reached a time in my life when, "Thats The Way It Is"............................... but, the music still has that touch !!

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 pm

archdeak wrote:I feel the Elvis market place has generally bottomed out now. Prices have dropped and I don't think its worth the effort to list things on e-bay because the market has been over saturated in recent years.
I have a lot of magazines and newspapers to shift and right now I'm seriously considering the paperbank has the place to visit.
I also have several books I'm selling but theres no interest at all. I have the Japanese "Elvis On Tour" book which I bought from Rex Martin in the late 1970's - no interest !!!
Most of my items have been in the loft / attic for the past 20 years and therefore I am being logical and know I have to dispose of them as I've reached a time in my life when, "Thats The Way It Is"............................... but, the music still has that touch !!

Although some very rare collectibles still go for top dollar, most collectibles are very affortable these days. I personally do not collect books (no time, no budget) and I think a vast mayority on this board does not even collect all FTDs and/ or original vinyl. There's much to choose to collect. For me I treasure my collection of original vinyl (which I collected mainly over the last decade) but in which I do not invest anymore. Also I try to keep up with FTD, not ordering the books and being selective on compilations and soundboards. That's it. Budget is tight.