Off Topic Messages

Elvis and The Beauty Queen (1981)

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 am

Hey, the 1981 telemovie starring Don Johnson is on You Tube. I thought it was average follow up to Kurt Russell's Elvis - The Movie. What do others think ? Johnson portraying Elvis makes EP look like a total arsehole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XNvo_9lFo0
Last edited by Robt on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis and The Beauty Queen (1981)

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 am

I thought it was God-awful, and had a helluva time sitting through it all. In fact, I don't think I made it. Dreadful.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:10 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ronnie McDowell's performance of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face sounds better than any Elvis version. Close your eyes and listen. (Meaning, move your attention from Don Johnson's ridiculous appearance.)

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:55 am

Robt wrote:Hey, the 1981 telemovie starring Don Johnson is on You Tube. I thought it was average follow up to Kurt Russell's Elvis - The Movie. What do others think ?

It is just as bad as the "Living Legend" (Roy Orbison singing vocals) movie starring Earl Owensby & Ginger Alden....just dawwgone awful.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 am

Stephanie Zimbalist makes it a little easier to stomach.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 am

elvisjock wrote:Stephanie Zimbalist makes it a little easier to stomach.

Even she could not save the movie from being so lousy. What else would you expect from a low budget, badly written film ?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:50 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Robt wrote:Hey, the 1981 telemovie starring Don Johnson is on You Tube. I thought it was average follow up to Kurt Russell's Elvis - The Movie. What do others think ?

It is just as bad as the "Living Legend" (Roy Orbison singing vocals) movie starring Earl Owensby & Ginger Alden....just dawwgone awful.

:shock: Good heavens TCB. "Living Legend" is by a far, a more shittier movie. At least, Elvis & the Beauty Queen had Stephanie (I don't recall her last name) in the cast who was much easier on the eye :lol:

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 am

elvisjock wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ronnie McDowell's performance of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face sounds better than any Elvis version. Close your eyes and listen. (Meaning, move your attention from Don Johnson's ridiculous appearance.)

Yes that's right. I agree with you about The First Time Ever I saw You Face. It beats any of the Elvis versions. Interesting that Ronnie did the vocal work on both films. Also Separate Ways in that film was nicely done by Ronnie.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 am

elvisjock wrote:I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Ronnie McDowell's performance of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face sounds better than any Elvis version. Close your eyes and listen. (Meaning, move your attention from Don Johnson's ridiculous appearance.)

...And here's the complete audio track (3 minutes, 11 secs) Simply click on the orange play button on the left side of the page. (No need to download) Enjoy.

http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/67014779/file.html

Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Horrible movie.

Jack White looks more like Elvis than Don Johnson.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Me and my Elvis friend watched this movie when it originally aired and we howled with laughter at how bad it was and how bad Don Johnson was. At the time I had no idea who Don Johnson was. When Miami Vice first came on, I realized that DJ was the same guy in Elvis and the BQ. I never could watch Miami Vice because of that.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm

The movie does have its nice moments....like when Linda (Stephanie Zymbalist) made funny faces at Elvis (Don Johnson) while he was singing "The First Time..."