Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Rex Martin - "super fan"

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 am

sundial77 wrote:I'm unsure if it was Rex I seen in Blackpool or not,maybe someone can help me...on a few occasions I visited a little shop, a few streets back from the seafront . It was a general "souvenir shop" like many in Blackpool,but this had many Elvis souvenirs and concert photos. Some photos were for sale,some weren't .I asked the shop owner about the photos and he was happy to chat, informing me he had seen several concerts and had taken a great deal of the photos himself. I remember him telling me he was at shows in Vegas '74(including the "Desert Storm"closing show)and a few shows during the summer of '76,I think maybe the Jul/Aug tour...I cannot recall the gentleman's name. Would that have been Rex?

Yes that was Rex

Re: Rex Martin - "super fan" Has died

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Just for the record, the title of this thread was not amended by me.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm

so sad to hear this - R.I.P. Rex -

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Such sad news, Rex was a great support to me over the last few years - and I will always remember his kindness.

R.I.P. Rex

Davide

Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Sad new indeed :(
May he will Rest in peace

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:14 pm

Delboy wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:I am shocked and saddened by this news as I, too, found Rex to be a very nice man.

I wonder what will happen to his website now that he's gone??

Also, To the OP:

Is it ok to post this news to other forums?

Tony

That may not be prudent given that Police say they are still trying to trace next of kin. A silent period of rememberence may be better in order.

Ok, thanks.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 pm

These are very very sad news :cry:

R.I.P. Rex :(

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:38 pm

stayawayjoe001 wrote:
sundial77 wrote:I'm unsure if it was Rex I seen in Blackpool or not,maybe someone can help me...on a few occasions I visited a little shop, a few streets back from the seafront . It was a general "souvenir shop" like many in Blackpool,but this had many Elvis souvenirs and concert photos. Some photos were for sale,some weren't .I asked the shop owner about the photos and he was happy to chat, informing me he had seen several concerts and had taken a great deal of the photos himself. I remember him telling me he was at shows in Vegas '74(including the "Desert Storm"closing show)and a few shows during the summer of '76,I think maybe the Jul/Aug tour...I cannot recall the gentleman's name. Would that have been Rex?

Yes that was Rex

Very sad to hear this. Rest In Peace Rex.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:04 am

R,I.P REX

GUZZI

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 am

It is hard to believe that Rex is no longer amongst us. I have met him a few times on fanclub meetings in the late 70's / early 80's. I will never forget him.

RIP

colonel snow

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:57 am

Rex was always helpful and kind in the email exchanges we had. A sad day for Elvis fans and his family. Rest In Peace Rex.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:02 am

Rex was a true gent in every sense of the word and a loyal fan who saw many Elvis concerts and filmed/recorded quite a few. R.I.P.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:47 am

sundial77 wrote:I remember him telling me he was at shows in Vegas '74(including the "Desert Storm"closing show)and a few shows during the summer of '76,I think maybe the Jul/Aug tour...I cannot recall the gentleman's name. Would that have been Rex?

Rex talks about all those tours (as well as seeing Elvis in 1977) and meeting Elvis in his interview...

He tells some wonderful stories ...
.... I was in a hotel between shows and in the cafeteria of this hotel there was James Burton, Ronnie Tutt, Felton Jarvis, Bill Porter and Jerry Scheff. They were all on two tables and I sat down with them. At another table the Sweet Inspirations were being interviewed by a reporter about their career. Jackie Kahane was in the room as well. And I was lucky as I had them to myself as there weren’t any other Elvis fans there

Anyway, we were just chatting away about recordings and I said to Felton, “Have you seen the new Welcome To My World album?” and he goes “No”. Well I had just bought it in a record shop as it had just come out in the States so I got it out to show Felton. And just as I was going to hand it to him James pinched it off me. And he turns it over and looks at the back cover and says “The Jordanaires are still on this. They’d put any sh*t out!” (laughs) And Felton’s going, “I had nothing to do with it”. It was a Joan Deary release. But they hadn’t seen it which was amazing. No one had even seen to show them an advance copy of something they’d partly worked on

>>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/rexmartin_part3.html

He will be sorely missed,
Piers

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:44 pm

I just re-read that 4 part interview and its absolutely EXCELLENT!~ brilliant what a loss Rex gone is!~ and what a life he had!~ :o

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:44 pm

it is a great loss for the Elvis world.
I used to collected his Elvis weekly magazine
R.I.P Rex my condolence to his friends and family

I think his last project was " FTD 3000 South Paradise Road".
He has written on his website http://elvismomentsintime. freeforums.org/august-1972-vegas-rehearsals-ftd-double-cd-for-xmas-t1998.html

For the 1st time IN MY ELVIS LIFE...I can reveal...
I WAS ASKED TO HELP on the BOOKLET for this FTD release (by EMITime member ROBERT FRIESER)

A large amount of Images, from my collection, files and scrapbooks have been used in the 16 page booklet

At first it was going to be a 5" release, but as the information on this Vegas season grew, it was decided to issue this double disc set as a 7" digi pack release....

I have a review of the first Elvis show I ever saw "17th August 1972" and also the expanded version of my meeting Elvis in September 1972.. which in the end didn't make the final layout.

However I also sent lots of Newsy comment snippets about the shows and this season, which has been used....

I even had some info in my Elvis Weeklys (Sept 72) about Elvis' REHEARSALS, and a quote from the Band about why Elvis wasn't performing BURNING LOVE, even with it # 1 in Cashbox, # 2 in Billboard

The booklet concept has changed in the past 3 months of Info gathering..
For Robert and myself a long journey, with many Emails, and a search for various other fans that may be able to help.

I was excited and pleased to have been asked to help...

The discs will be available in EARLY DECEMBER
SincerELy REX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:08 pm

:D wow thermoking.. i'm IMPRESSED no wonder 3000 paradise road was/is such a GREAT FTD cd!~ :P :smt007

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 pm

I first found out about his great contributions on May 13, 2011, thank's to my good friend Rita telling me about their awesome site. God bless him and his family. This is a message that Rita sent to me, I hope that she doesn't mind my posting it-

Hi Ian, I just cannot believe it and yes, I was still working on his website with posts to try and keep things going until I knew what had happened to him and am in touch at the moment with two of ours/Rexs friends - Jim Ellis and Tony King who have known Rex as long as we have as we don't know what is going to happen to Rex's website although we want to keep it going. We have all known Rex since the 1960's and have had a lot of contact with him.

Rex put a lovely Get Well post on his site when I was in hospital last Nov/Dec. As Rod had to let him know why I could not post.

He will be sadly missed. Will keep you informed about EMIT.

Hope you are keeping of too.

Take care.

Rita

And this is the first message that she sent to me, and the very special message from Rex to her. 8)

Hi Ian

A dear friend of ours has just recently started a new Elvis website forum which I thought you might be interested in joining. We have been great friends with Rex since the early 60s. He is a really great Elvis fan. Please take a look and would love to see you joining us. So I am now involved with two Elvis websites, Rex on this site and with Garry on ElvisToday.eu.

E L V I S "NEWS FLASH!"
Hi! - A NEW "ELVIS WEBSITE FORUM" Announcement

Hi... RITA.. hope you are well and ready to explore..!!! this is just an update on what I'm currently sending out to some of my Email contacts.... hope you will spread the word.. please join and have a look Rita... would love to see you on my Elvis MOMENTS IN TIME... Its just starting to get its first members... thankyou for everything you do..... SincerELy..... REX This is an advance Information announcement..... for YOU....!

I am now opening up my Very 1st ELVIS WEB-SITE FORUM...
It's a celebration of ELVIS' MOMENTS IN TIME......sort of an Extension of my '70s ELVIS WEEKLY's ... With FLASHBACKS to all the Elvis Decades.. with many Images and Photos.

The Positive ELVIS.. so many times he gave us his ALL..
(Without the Negatives as seen elsewhere!)
ELVIS: MOMENTS IN TIME.ORG (on FREEFORUMS.Com)

Click the LINK to join now--->>> http://elvismomentsintime.freeforums.org/index.php
Join Up, add a Password, Log in! - No Waiting.. YOUR on My Elvis Site.. Explore, View, see all the Images...enjoy this ELVIS MAGAZINE Style Experience.. Post Reply's if you want.. or just Read Mine and others!

Its been almost 2 months in the MAKING, DESIGNING, AND INFO GATHERING..

Almost 100 topics on EVERYTHING ELVIS-Over 500 posts adding to the Elvis Experience.

Nearly 700 Images and Pictures, most full width "Widescreen" in High Quality and size.

Come and discover something NEW about ELVIS.. with the Images bringing the Information to Life. You are welcome to Add to Everyones Enjoyment..

Many Special Sections are being Developed.. Added... and Expanded upon ~ ELVIS "DAY BY DAY"

http://elvismomentsintime.freeforums.or ... d44a867969

http://elvismomentsintime.freeforums.org/index.php
Thankyou for taking the time to read my ELVIS ANNOUNCEMENT FLYER
Your Host at ELVISMOMENTSINTIME.FreeForums.org (EMIT)
SincerELy..... " R E X "

Rex did this for me ... sure took me back in time.
Always for Elvis
Rita

Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Are there any pictures of the inside of Rex's Elvis store he had in the 70's?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:50 am

Sad news, he was a nice person... :(

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:33 am

So very sorry to hear of this loss. Just learned of him last year, great loss for the Elvis world and of course even bigger for his family.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:18 am

thermoking wrote:it is a great loss for the Elvis world.
I used to collected his Elvis weekly magazine
R.I.P Rex my condolence to his friends and family

I think his last project was " FTD 3000 South Paradise Road".
He has written on his website http://elvismomentsintime. freeforums.org/august-1972-vegas-rehearsals-ftd-double-cd-for-xmas-t1998.html

For the 1st time IN MY ELVIS LIFE...I can reveal...
I WAS ASKED TO HELP on the BOOKLET for this FTD release (by EMITime member ROBERT FRIESER)

A large amount of Images, from my collection, files and scrapbooks have been used in the 16 page booklet

At first it was going to be a 5" release, but as the information on this Vegas season grew, it was decided to issue this double disc set as a 7" digi pack release....

I have a review of the first Elvis show I ever saw "17th August 1972" and also the expanded version of my meeting Elvis in September 1972.. which in the end didn't make the final layout.

However I also sent lots of Newsy comment snippets about the shows and this season, which has been used....

I even had some info in my Elvis Weeklys (Sept 72) about Elvis' REHEARSALS, and a quote from the Band about why Elvis wasn't performing BURNING LOVE, even with it # 1 in Cashbox, # 2 in Billboard

The booklet concept has changed in the past 3 months of Info gathering..
For Robert and myself a long journey, with many Emails, and a search for various other fans that may be able to help.

I was excited and pleased to have been asked to help...

The discs will be available in EARLY DECEMBER
SincerELy REX

3000 South Paradise Road was a great looking release, thanks in a big way because of Rex.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm

RIP REX!

Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 pm

RIP Rex

in the 90s i was looking for real good information about elvis in the 70s. there were quite a few books but none of them could excite me the way rex´ "elvis news weekly" mag´s from the 70´s could. they day i bought this big collection of mags i could not believe what extremely great quality of first hand information i received. i treasure them since and will again read a few. has there ever been better stuff out? i don´t think so. must have been an awful load of hours to collect everything, put it together and send it out way back in the 70s.

so every time since then i heard or read the name rex martin i was always listening/reading with big ears/eyes - out of great respect for the man.

i just hope he will never be forgotten for i have a feeling that he made a lot of elvis´ fans happy in letting them see and hear his recordings and memories of "elvis action". without such people elvis fans would have to miss a lot!

Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Rest in peace Rex..

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 am

REX set the example of how ELVIS fans should be to one another. Never heard a bad word from him about anyone. Always kind, considerate, and a gentleman. REX loved ELVIS with every fiber of his being. I sure will miss my ELVIS friend. May he R.I.P.