Off Topic Messages

Breaking Point

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:24 pm

I won't be around as much as usual in the coming weeks while I get my backside into gear and give the final push towards the completion of the thesis.

Since Christmas, I have been putting the finishing touches on a novel about homophobia in schools ("Breaking Point"). It's currently free to download for Kindles via the various amazon sites, and will be for the next 4-5 five days. So, if anyone feels curious enough, feel free to see what rubbish I churn out elsewhere! :)

UK Link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Point-ebook/dp/B00BBEYFG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360268464&sr=8-1

US Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point-ebook/dp/B00BBEYFG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360268500&sr=8-1&keywords=breaking+point+shane+brown

I'll pop in from time to time if something catches my eye, but otherwise, see you sometime around Easter.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: I'll Be Back/Breaking Point

Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:40 am

Good luck with your thesis poormadpeter, you are always a voice of reason around here.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:52 am

Much luck! A novel. Intriguing. Just downloaded.

Do you plan to get it published in the "old-fashioned" way?

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am

Good luck PoorMadPeter

Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Good luck, peter, with your thesis. there is a tremendous amount of time and energy involved with such a project. You will feel good when it is complete and others are benefiting from your labors. All the best.

rlj

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Good luck on your thesis :smt023

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Good luck with your thesis!

Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 am

Thank you for the well-wishes.

With regards to the novel, today I toppled The Picture of Dorian Gray from the #1 spot of free gay/lesbian fiction on amazon.com, following nearly 2000 downloads of the book in just four days.

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:Thank you for the well-wishes.

With regards to the novel, today I toppled The Picture of Dorian Gray from the #1 spot of free gay/lesbian fiction on amazon.com, following nearly 2000 downloads of the book in just four days.

And it's free!

Wish they didn't put it such a tight genre box, because bullying is even more widespread. And as many kids as possible need to know that people did survive it. What I mean is that many teens might shy away, when they need as many accounts by adults as possible.

The strange thing is that when you're a kid, you think everyone else is popular and liked. You think you're the only one in the world who is so hated. For whatever reason.

I still have several hours to go, according to the Paperwhite progress meter.

Congrats. And thanks.

rjm

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Finished the book. Shocking ending. Yes. We'll chat.

Meanwhile: the book is written entirely in British. I missed a lot of words. What is a "pedal bin"?

A good read, though. I mostly read southern fiction, when I read novels, so it was good. Gripping at times.

I wonder how the Kindle e-book system works . . . intriguing.

Congrats on this. It was #6 on the "bullying" list for a while there.

rjm

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 pm

A pedal bin is a bin generally used in a domestic kitchen.

You step on the pedal and the lid lifts, thus allowing the rubbish to be placed in said bin.
Last edited by George Smith on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:03 pm

rjm wrote:Finished the book. Shocking ending. Yes. We'll chat.

Meanwhile: the book is written entirely in British. I missed a lot of words. What is a "pedal bin"?

A good read, though. I mostly read southern fiction, when I read novels, so it was good. Gripping at times.

rjm

Aww, it's a happy ending in many respects. And yes, it's odd how some terms don't cross the Atlantic, but I guess that's just one of those things.

The book has done very well. If was free for five days, and during those five days reached #1 on the gay/lesbian "free" chart. When it went to paid (as it is now), it reached #6 on gay/lesbian fiction. The categories are, indeed, odd. One of the categories in the UK on amazon is "teen/young adult", but that meant it landed up in "childrens" in America, where it really shouldn't have been. Anyway, after nearly 5000 copies now having been downloaded, I'm just thankful the book is getting out there and, hopefully, the subject talked about.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:48 am

poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:Finished the book. Shocking ending. Yes. We'll chat.

Meanwhile: the book is written entirely in British. I missed a lot of words. (Thanks, George! It's just a plastic garbage can. And I couldn't get it.)

rjm

Aww, it's a happy ending in many respects. And yes, it's odd how some terms don't cross the Atlantic, but I guess that's just one of those things.

The book has done very well. If was free for five days, and during those five days reached #1 on the gay/lesbian "free" chart. When it went to paid (as it is now), it reached #6 on gay/lesbian fiction. The categories are, indeed, odd. One of the categories in the UK on amazon is "teen/young adult", but that meant it landed up in "childrens" in America, where it really shouldn't have been. Anyway, after nearly 5000 copies now having been downloaded, I'm just thankful the book is getting out there and, hopefully, the subject talked about.

I didn't want to give away the ending! I expected tragedy. I guess there's one truly sad sack, when you think about it. Kinda reminds me of Janis Ian's "At 17" in that regard.

I figured out most of the other words and phrases. It's colloquial British - everyday spoken language. That's the difference.

A few scenes will bring back flashbacks to former victims. The settings change, the technology, but I can remember something very much like that initial horror scene. But I was much younger.

Have you seen the film "Bully"? It's very strong, and being non-fiction, absolutely devastating.

rjm
P.S. -- Thanks, George. It's just a plastic garbage pail. I thought it was a vegetable bin! :lol:

Breaking Point

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:29 pm

And now, with typos corrected, it's out in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/breaking-point-Mr-Shane-Brown/dp/149423629X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385220136&sr=8-2&keywords=breaking+point+shane+brown

http://www.amazon.com/breaking-point-Mr-Shane-Brown/dp/149423629X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385220359&sr=8-2&keywords=breaking+point+shane+brown

DSCF2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Breaking Point

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:38 pm

That cover.....which one is you and which one is the Doc?

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Well done, Shane. I hope you have much success.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:54 pm

Rob wrote:That cover.....which one is you and which one is the Doc?

Depends on our roleplaying exercise of the day!

Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:55 pm

greystoke wrote:Well done, Shane. I hope you have much success.

Thank you. Managed to shift 6000 copies of the kindle version, so the paperback version is really to get it into school libraries and that kind of thing.

What's quite amusing is that someone on amazon marketplace is trying to see a copy for over £60! lol

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Tee-hee. Not bad.

Anyway, I have wondered about the cover. Kids here dress that way for school, but high-toned uniforms with white shirts are correctly mentioned in this very British book.

Those are jeans. Was that ever discussed, or were you going for the U.S. market?

rjm
P.S. -- Many of our schools do have uniforms, but generally they consist of polo shirts and Khakis. Kinda frumpy.

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:36 am

I wish you all the best!

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Great job Shane! Wishing you all the best with the book.

rlj

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:02 pm

rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Tee-hee. Not bad.

Anyway, I have wondered about the cover. Kids here dress that way for school, but high-toned uniforms with white shirts are correctly mentioned in this very British book.

Those are jeans. Was that ever discussed, or were you going for the U.S. market?

rjm
P.S. -- Many of our schools do have uniforms, but generally they consist of polo shirts and Khakis. Kinda frumpy.

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

It was just a case of finding a picture I could afford, to be honest. Much of the action takes place outside the school anyway. interestingly, around 90% of all sales were in America for the Kindle edition!