Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

King Creole Soundtrack

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 am

I'm curious to know what people think of this soundtrack as a whole in comparison to his other 1950's music?

Let me just start with, there is no such thing as a bad Elvis song in the 1950's. And in my opinion, there is no such thing as a good Elvis song in the 1950's either. They are just all so amazingly brilliant. If I (or you) had to rank the brilliance of the 50's, how would you rank this Soundtrack?

I'll be honest; this soundtrack is a bit of a roller coaster for me. There are some great ones but to me, some sound rushed and I don't feel Elvis' as much as I do on his other songs.

It's sometimes difficult for me to describe certain Elvis songs because I like them based off of the felling they give me which can't be translated into words. Elvis' performances alone can transcend a song from great to brilliance... i.e. Trouble. Without words, I'll put them in some sort of ranking order.

My Top 3 are
- As Long As I Have You - Wise and Weisman
- Trouble - Leiber and Stoller
- Crawfish - Wise and Weisman

Next in line:
- Young Dreams - Aaron Schroeder and Martin Kalmanoff
- Don't Ask Me Why - Wise and Weisman
- Lover Doll - Sid Wayne and Abner Silver
- King Creole - Leiber and Stoller

My Bottom 3
- Hard Headed Woman - Claude Demetrius
- Dixieland Rock - Aaron Schroeder and Rachel Frank
- New Orleans - Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett

BTY, KC is my favorite music soundtrack (Technically JHR is but with only 5 songs, it's not a full soundtrack IMO). Loving You is a close second. VLV is a close third.

Re: King Creole Soundtrack

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 am

I've been listening to KC for 50 years. Never get tired of it. It is the best movie LP from the 50's and 60's. All songs are in my top three.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:57 am

My Top 3 are:
- Hard Headed Woman
- Trouble
- New Orleans

Next in line:
- King Creole
- Crawfish
- As Long As I Have You
- Dixieland Rock

My Bottom 5:
- Don't Ask Me Why
- Lover Doll
- Young Dreams
- Danny (Not used)
- Steadfast, Loyal And True
Last edited by JimmyCool on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 am

My absolute favourite soundtrack as a kid, and still is.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 am

It's a soundtrack from the 1950s, so it's going to have a singer totally committed to each and every song. That's a big reason the recordings from this era are so brilliant.

I rank "Jailhouse Rock" as his finest film soundtrack work, but "King Creole" is, overall, a very listenable LP with many songs he should have revisited in the '70s, such as "Crawfish."

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Not a song on there I don't dig. I think it's amazing that they were able to incorporate a big band sound without it sounding the least bit corny or forced. Elvis just seems to take it in stride and pull it off with ease. You could even say it spurred his performance to new heights.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Great soundtrack. Wonderful songs like 'New Orleans' and 'Trouble'. One of Elvis' best which never dates.

Brian :D

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Not everything Elvis' recorded in the 1950s was great, though much of it was. The distinguishing factor is that even with the weaker stuff he is engaged and giving his best. There's not a single 1950s track I can think of where I feel Elvis is just going through the motions and not even trying. That's the magic of this era of his career.

King Creole stands apart mainly because of it's obviously stylised music.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 pm

It seems true that u could judge where Elvis was in his life by his soundtrack, LMT / a bit rough around the edges, LY / simply his lifestory, JR + KC / a guy totally in control awesome ! GIB + BH / still had great hope so the songs arent half bad, VLV / i think the last real Elvis on a movie reel, just sizzled with AM ..... the rest ? well, tired plots, tired songs, tired Elvis ! Thank God for 68 !!!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:42 pm

dennyelvis wrote:It seems true that u could judge where Elvis was in his life by his soundtrack, LMT / a bit rough around the edges, LY / simply his lifestory, JR + KC / a guy totally in control awesome ! GIB + BH / still had great hope so the songs arent half bad, VLV / i think the last real Elvis on a movie reel, just sizzled with AM ..... the rest ? well, tired plots, tired songs, tired Elvis ! Thank God for 68 !!!!!!!!!!

Very few Elvis songs from the 50's I will ever skip. Old Shep, True Love, Lonesome Cowboy are ones that come to mind. King Creole? Best soundtrack LP he ever made. Hard Headed Woman, New Orleans bottom 3? Wow.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm

King Creole is Elvis' single best soundtrack LP ever. Much better than Loving You, GI Blues or Blue Hawaii. And to think they almost didn't release it as an LP!
r

Now if Jailhouse Rock had enough songs to warrant an LP, it would have been his best soundtrack LP (assuming the theoretical additional songs were up to par) But wait!!

They DID issue a Jailhouse Rock LP in South Africa...............I once owned a copy!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:23 pm

r&b wrote:
dennyelvis wrote:It seems true that u could judge where Elvis was in his life by his soundtrack, LMT / a bit rough around the edges, LY / simply his lifestory, JR + KC / a guy totally in control awesome ! GIB + BH / still had great hope so the songs arent half bad, VLV / i think the last real Elvis on a movie reel, just sizzled with AM ..... the rest ? well, tired plots, tired songs, tired Elvis ! Thank God for 68 !!!!!!!!!!

Very few Elvis songs from the 50's I will ever skip. Old Shep, True Love, Lonesome Cowboy are ones that come to mind. King Creole? Best soundtrack LP he ever made. Hard Headed Woman, New Orleans bottom 3? Wow.

Must say I love Lonesome Cowboy, such a soulful, otherworldy vocal.. like Blue Moon on heat!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Nothing can beat the Jailhouse Rock soundtrack..but King Creole comes close.... ::rocks

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:15 am

Love the whole album 10 out of 10.as for revisiting crawfish in the 70s i don't think so.loads of other great 50s tracks definitely should have been revisited in the 70s !!!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 am

nobody mentioned : "streadfast , loyal & true" ....is also good number fit real good to the scene
yes its a great LP , have the picture sleeve framed on my wall :wink:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:53 am

It's better than the 1976 sessions.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:23 am

ritchie valens wrote:It's better than the 1976 sessions.

What have the 1976 sessions got to do with anything in this thread - which asks for discussion of the soundtrack in relation to Elvis' other 50s recordings.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 am

Someone's trolling :facep:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Sublime. . . in a punkish sort of way !

It encapsulates a time period - the true end of the '50s (1958) ; a watershed in Elvis's life, career and music. I love the melodrama of the ballads, the sheer power and great diction on Dixieland Rock and Hard Headed Woman, and the sheer abandon of New Orleans.

A self-contained masterpiece.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm

ritchie valens wrote:It's better than the 1976 sessions.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 pm

ah yeah.my favorite on the kc lp is Young dreams.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 am

King Creole has long been my favorite Elvis soundtrack, and my favorite 50's non-hits album. Hard to argue with the first two L.P.'s as most important in that category, but regarding E.P. I prefer to hear the Sun recordings in their own context more often.

More than any other soundtrack, I feel King Creole has the consistent feel of a stylistic concept album. The bluesiness of so many tracks fits the New Orleans setting and Elvis' style to perfection. The dixieland horn parts also make for the most appropriately customized film arrangements Elvis would ever have. (IMO the only soundtrack that compares in this sense is Love Me Tender, since the Ken Darby Trio, while no replacement for the Blue Moon Boys on disc, does suit the Western trappings in a nice offset to some of Elvis' anachronistic qualities.)

New Orleans is an awesomely sweaty, stuttering showcase for Elvis at the height of alternately playful and forceful 50's prowess. Hard Headed Woman is as good a Jailhouse Rock knock off as anyone would ever attempt to write, with the kind of Biblical references by way of Lieber and Stoller (a great emulation of their style) Elvis could always sink his teeth into, with dixieland horn charts to distinguish it from any rocker by Elvis or anyone else. Dixieland Rock faired pretty well in this area, and again, the arrangement soars, especially the terrific contributions of The Jordinaires, who I think even surpass their by now customary brilliance on this LP.

I love Crawfish, a real catalogue anomaly which sounds like a show tune written by anyone from Louis Jordan to the Gershwin brothers, has a more Hollywood Musical feel in its cinematic staging and execution than perhaps any other sequence in an Elvis film. It helps me imagine how Elvis might have faired had he taken a role in West Side Story (I assume he would had to have been Tony, and what great chemistry he and gal pal Natalie Wood could have had. Can't see him pulling off Riff without major dance training.)

I also love Young Dreams. This is the kind of overlooked, smooth a silk mid-tempo ballad Elvis could render with an exquisite array of variations in pitch and tone. Lover Doll is a great bit of Rick Nelson-esque bubble gum fun, heightened by the sly ironic context of aw-shucks Elvis charming customers only as misdirection from shoplifting hoods (a fine example of Micheal Curtiz's great skill in keeping the grit despite the teener tunefest trappings. I bet he also fought to keep Steadfast Loyal, and True a cappella, whereas the sweetening they would have almost certainly added in a later Elvis vehicle would destroy the reality and tension of the scene.)

Which brings me to the other real Leiber and Stoller tunes. The stand out Trouble is one for the ages, and King Creole is smashing fun as well. Given their limited number of tunes I can't say L & S outdid themselves from Jailhouse Rock, but I do feel it is a tighter, more satisfying group of songs, and better film song score, for me. L & S love to tell the story of taking in New York's high and hipster culture until the publisher (Beinstock?) barricaded them in their hotel room during their stay to write their songs, which they did in a last minute flurry. Granted, they are brilliant under pressure, as Santa Claus is Back in Town also proves, but I also think the time crunch shows in Don't Leave Me Now and I Want to Be Free, both of which I find to be pretty routine and generic numbers (Don't Leave Me Now has a blues melody nondescript enough to be later repurposed in Give Me the Right without any copyrite disputes that I know of,) with excellent but not especially inspired performances by Elvis, given less to work with, IMO. To me the closest equivalents in King Creole are As Long as I Have You and Don't Ask Me Why, both of which I favor over L & S's quickie ballads for writing, and performance.

Perhaps if Danny had a cooler production and less awkward lyrics, as benefited Conway Twitty's version in Lonely Blue Boy, it could have made the cut and made it an even better LP. Still, its inclusion on the CD reinforces its status for me as an all time fav.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:00 am

Nice commentary Brian In Atlanta.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 am

Brian In Atlanta wrote:L & S love to tell the story of taking in New York's high and hipster culture until the publisher (Beinstock?) barricaded them in their hotel room during their stay to write their songs, which they did in a last minute flurry. Granted, they are brilliant under pressure, as Santa Claus is Back in Town also proves, but I also think the time crunch shows in Don't Leave Me Now and I Want to Be Free, both of which I find to be pretty routine and generic numbers...

Don't Leave Me Now was a Schroeder/Weisman composition.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 am

It's a tremendous LP... definitely a suitable pairing to the movie. My favorite with Jailhouse Rock a close second... and Loving You rounding out the top 3.