Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Crawfish

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:12 am

I got my Complete Masters today. King Creole MUST have been recorded on Binaural tape. The masters of Crawfish on my The Other Sides Gold Award Hits Vol 2 from 1996, and the King Creole CD from 1997 has the female vocal upfront and dry. The Complete Masters has a LOT of echo and her voice is very recessed. I do not know how they could add echo to just her voice unless it was recorded on a separate track and then folded down to Mono.

In any event, I MUCH prefer the 1997 version. I am now going to see if Dixieland Rock has the longer intro like the LP master or the shorter one used on the EP. I'll be back.

Re: Crawfish

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:14 am

Dixieland Rock is the LP edit, the longer introduction....that's good.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:18 am

If you've just received Complete Masters today, how have you experienced Vic Anesini's remasters of the Stax tracks before now?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:23 am

On Good Times CD from 2009, and a few stray tunes from FTD Hits of the 70s and piecemeal here and there . I also have 20 Original Albums box which has a mixture of late 90s and Asesini masters. I have Elvis 75 box. So, I have a lot of sources for Asesini masters. I have many different issues of several CDs etc.

For the most part, it is the Felton mixes that I do not like of much of the 70s material, it really is not Asesini's fault. I much prefer how Ferrante mixed that material. I like DRY vocals and distinct separation of each instument. I do not like a homogenized sound, and it seems that Felton was trying to cover up some of Elvis rough edges here and there with excessive echo and overdubs.

I have over 6000 CDs in my collection, around 500 of them are Elvis.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 am

Anyway back to Crawfish and King Creole soundtrack. It must have originally been recorded on a Binaural safety reel. If I recall the echo laden women vocal was the LP version and the dry vocal was on the EP. They would have mixed and mastered two mono versions from that Binaural tape. I would suspect only the mono tape survived.

Does anyone have or remember if I am right about the LP vs EP version of Crawfish?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:46 am

The female vocalist who sang with Elvis on Crawfish was Kitty White, an African American Jazz singer from Los Angeles, CA.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:48 am

One disc refuses to be read by any of my 4 CD players...I have tried over 20 times. Only my computer can read it. A few other discs take several tries before my CD players can read them. These dics are touchy.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:The female vocalist who sang with Elvis on Crawfish was Kitty White, an African American Jazz singer from Los Angeles, CA.

I love her voice when you can actually hear it!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:08 am

skatterbrane wrote:One disc refuses to be read by any of my 4 CD players...I have tried over 20 times. Only my computer can read it. A few other discs take several tries before my CD players can read them. These dics are touchy.

Odd. Not had a problem with any in my set. Maybe you have a bad set, there's been deep, extensive discussion of this boxset from when it came out and no reports of bad discs.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:16 am

skatterbrane wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:The female vocalist who sang with Elvis on Crawfish was Kitty White, an African American Jazz singer from Los Angeles, CA.

I love her voice when you can actually hear it!

She had some pipes on her. She could really blow!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:19 am

Check this post, skatterbrane:

A question about "Crawfish":
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55630

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 am

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:One disc refuses to be read by any of my 4 CD players...I have tried over 20 times. Only my computer can read it. A few other discs take several tries before my CD players can read them. These dics are touchy.

Odd. Not had a problem with any in my set. Maybe you have a bad set, there's been deep, extensive discussion of this boxset from when it came out and no reports of bad discs.

I'm with Matthew here, I haven't had any disc issues either with this set, or have heard of any. Where did you get your set from?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 am

It is only one disc that will not read on any of my CD players. I have run into this once or twice before. It happens. It reads just fine on my computer. Thanks for the link to the other Crawfish thread. Seems it WAS a binaural mixed down to mono. That is the only way they could have two different treatments on Kitty Whites' vocals, as it is obviously the same take.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:48 am

Matthew wrote:

I got a replacement disc today, and it works just fine. This is the 3rd CD, that I can remember, that does not index. It happens. I am glad the replacement works.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:51 am

How do you like the book?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:48 am

The book is the best thing about it. I like knowing sales figures and recording data. The narratives are no longer interesting to me, having read a lifetime's worth.

I am SHOCKED that in a few instances, Elvis (2nd LP) for example, they did not use the original issue for the picture.

But alas, I have sold it on Ebay, for about a $50 loss. I copied 10 full CD's worth of material of these Asesini masters that are not yet available from other sources, like the budget soundtrack issues and the Legacy releases. So, really, if you have all the Asesini masters from regular releases, you can distill this 30 disc set down to about 10 CDs. $550-$750 for basically 10 CDs and a book is pretty steep.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:47 am

So you received your set on the 22nd Jan, discovered a faulty CD, reported and received a replacement (today!), AND sold the set on eBay - all in the space of about 2 weeks, yet the only sold listings on eBay for the last couple of weeks is 1 set sold on the 1st Feb, a Brand New set no less, and from a dealer, and a 2nd set - also Brand New - sold on the 25th Jan, from the same dealer!

Call me cynical but your story doesn't add up.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:16 am

Matthew wrote:So you received your set on the 22nd Jan, discovered a faulty CD, reported and received a replacement (today!), AND sold the set on eBay - all in the space of about 2 weeks, yet the only sold listings on eBay for the last couple of weeks is 1 set sold on the 1st Feb, a Brand New set no less, and from a dealer, and a 2nd set - also Brand New - sold on the 25th Jan, from the same dealer!

Call me cynical but your story doesn't add up.

Mine sold on Feb 5th. I listed it the day I found out they were sending a replacement disc. Your Ebay research is faulty if it did not pick up a sale on Feb 5th.

If I were going to make up a story, I would have said I had sex with Ann Margaret, or something like that.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:21 am

I just did a check and you missed one sold on Feb 4th too!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 am

It took 2 mins to find the Feb 5th sale on eBay. I'd link to it but maybe skatterbrane doesn't want to share his eBay id. In any case, the cynicism was misplaced Matthew.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:06 am

skatterbrane wrote:I got my Complete Masters today. King Creole MUST have been recorded on Binaural tape. The masters of Crawfish on my The Other Sides Gold Award Hits Vol 2 from 1996, and the King Creole CD from 1997 has the female vocal upfront and dry. The Complete Masters has a LOT of echo and her voice is very recessed. I do not know how they could add echo to just her voice unless it was recorded on a separate track and then folded down to Mono.

In any event, I MUCH prefer the 1997 version. I am now going to see if Dixieland Rock has the longer intro like the LP master or the shorter one used on the EP. I'll be back.

How did they do different mixes of Kitty White's vocals? Radio Recorders had binaural ("safety") capability, so the film master and the unedited acetate performance (and later RCA release) clearly derive from different mix-downs of the safety reels. The acetate is dryer, more raw than the film mix.

Note that all acetates had to have been cut by Thorne Nogar at Radio Recorders.

1/15/58
Track F - T7 Crawfish (basic) 2:45

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:42 am

You think there is more of the session in collectors hands or was it erased thrown out?
Could there be two mono tapes different mixdowns?If you read the Beatles sessions book George Martin used different mix down from a master. so is it possible Thorne mixed two different mixes from the master take?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:40 pm

TJ wrote:It took 2 mins to find the Feb 5th sale on eBay. I'd link to it but maybe skatterbrane doesn't want to share his eBay id. In any case, the cynicism was misplaced Matthew.

I'll believe it when I see it and will be the first to apologise if I do.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Matthew wrote:
TJ wrote:It took 2 mins to find the Feb 5th sale on eBay. I'd link to it but maybe skatterbrane doesn't want to share his eBay id. In any case, the cynicism was misplaced Matthew.

I really do not give a rat's ass if you see it or not.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Matthew wrote:

Here ya go.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_adv=1&_from=R40&_nkw=elvis+complete+masters+30&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=13&_dmd=1&_ipg=50