Off Topic Messages

Elvii's on Letterman -- All Week

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 am

I'm watching Elvis Number 2 right now. (Elvi is plural for Elvis, there being about 5 of 'em this week.)

Anyone keeping up with this, and what do you think? They tend to come from various stage plays; not average ETAs. Still look silly, though, mostly.

Any thoughts. Why is Dave interested in Elvi, all of sudden?

rjm (sorry for losing count)
P.S. -- I didn't edit the topic title; that was done by a higher authority. ;) (Well, if there is more than one, there must be a plural. I went for the "official plural" - or the only official plural that I know.http://flyingelvi.com/ But I'm cool with the change, 'cause I got a "sticky"! Yippee!)
Last edited by rjm on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Elvi on Letterman -- All Week

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

rjm wrote:I'm watching Elvis Number 3 right now. (Elvi is plural for Elvis, there being about 5 of 'em this week.)

Anyone keeping up with this, and what do you think? They tend to come from various stage plays; not average ETAs. Still look silly, though, mostly.

rjm

I saw Cody Slaughter last night and the dude tonight. When was the third? Last Friday? I think it's fine as long as it isn't some fat guy in a jumpsuit. Dave has revealed himself to be something of an Elvis fan over the years.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 pm

eligain wrote:
rjm wrote:I'm watching Elvis Number 3 right now. (Elvi is plural for Elvis, there being about 5 of 'em this week.)

rjm

I saw Cody Slaughter last night and the dude tonight. When was the third? Last Friday? I think it's fine as long as it isn't some fat guy in a jumpsuit. Dave has revealed himself to be something of an Elvis fan over the years.

I got confused; I thought I missed one. This was number 2. More to come!

rjm

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

phpBB [video]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_161601&feature=iv&src_vid=G6lrVUAqHkU&v=4osVGdRjSjI[/youtube]

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

I saw the Cody performance via a Facebook link. He didn't sound all that much like Elvis, but then again he was singing "Jailhouse Rock" and no one ever manages to sound like Elvis on that song.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 pm

eligain wrote:Dave has revealed himself to be something of an Elvis fan over the years.

Dave seems to have mellowed in his attitude towards Elvis in the past decade. I'm a long time fan of him and his show and, in the 80s, Dave was often relentless with his "Elvis jokes". Not exactly a fun period being both an Elvis fan and a Letterman fan.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Yea Brandon didn't sound like Elvis either, but another unforgiving song.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
eligain wrote:Dave has revealed himself to be something of an Elvis fan over the years.

Dave seems to have mellowed in his attitude towards Elvis in the past decade. I'm a long time fan of him and his show and, in the 80s, Dave was often relentless with his "Elvis jokes". Not exactly a fun period being both an Elvis fan and a Letterman fan.

Long time Dave fan as well since 1978 and although Dave made numerous Elvis jokes (which were always funny) he also made comments that has made many believe he is a Elvis fan. He fawned over Lisa Marie when she first appeared on his show. If you get bothered by Elvis jokes then maybe you are taking Elvis just a little too seriously.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 pm

rjm wrote:Any thoughts. Why is Dave interested in Elvi, all of sudden?

I think Letterman has always been a huge Elvis fan but doesn't necessarily make a point of letting the world know. Over the years it seems that if any of his guests have an Elvis story of their own he usually makes it part of the interview. Off the top of my head Terri Garr, Bill Murray, Robert Plant, and Steve Martin have all told their Elvis stories on his show. Lisa Marie has also told her Elvis story on the show, but that's a given since she's actually part of the the Elvis story by default.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Dave also revels in the fact that he is in The Ed Sullivan Theater and frequently mentions the historic performers and performances that have grace a stage in that building. Most often he refers to Elvis and sometimes The Beatles.

I believe he is truly an admirer of Elvis.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:32 pm

I saw Cody and no, he didn't really sound like Elvis on Jailhouse Rock, but he managed to do all of Elvis' body movements within the span of one song.
He does have the gyrations down. And he looks similair.

Tonight is Justin Shandor, which I have seen in person. (He performed free at the fair) He is a little better if I recall.
Some of these guys wear wigs I believe.
It's amazing that so many of these guys can actually make a living doing tributes while it is so difficult for
original artists singer songwriters to make a living in music.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Elvi ???
Shouldn't the plural be Elvii ?

Whatever , I think it keeps Elvis' name alive now and in the future that we have so many ETA's making public performances.
For myself I can hardly bear to watch some of them , but then again , for the good of all who love Elvis ,
KEEP THEM COMING !!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Remind me not to watch Letterman this week. :facep: :facep: :facep:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Greybeard wrote:Dave also revels in the fact that he is in The Ed Sullivan Theater and frequently mentions the historic performers and performances that have grace a stage in that building. Most often he refers to Elvis and sometimes The Beatles.

I believe he is truly an admirer of Elvis.

David Letterman was a DJ in college and has always shown himself to be a huge rock 'n' roll fan. He was 9 when Elvis appeared on Sullivan, 16 when the Beatles did the same. Thus, the all-important high school years came during the British Invasion, and more.

It seems all these "Elvi" use quite a bit of echo on their vocals.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 pm

It reminds me of what elvis sayd during aug. '74 ''honey, dont call me elvi'' lol

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 pm

It's clear that Dave is a legitimate Elvis fan; he's brought him up a lot throughout the years and usually with great admiration. Letterman has had other "themed" weeks in the past. He's had "Drummer Week", "Magician Week" and also "Impressionist Week" themed shows in the past. This ETA one is a surprise but Dave is clearly having a great time with it.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 pm

I haven't seen any, or plan to, but I like the idea that they get to perform on that stage. I always thought that the folks that run these should where possible go out of their way to host the contests in venues that Elvis actually performed in back in the day. It helps promote the local economies and notoriety of the respective venue. It must be an added kick for the performers too.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 am

I'm sorry but I find all these impersonators ridiculous. Cody Slaughter is from my hometown (Harrison, Arkansas) and I am glad he is doing well.

But...damn.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:45 am

Dave and Paul Shaeffer have both admitted their admiration for Elvis in the past. As for the jokes, he is a comedian after all. But whenever he has a guest on with an Elvis link, he does ask them about it and is interested in hearing their story. Given his age, (late 60's?) I assume he is a legit fan (at least up to Harum Scarum!). He also likes The Beatles and does revel in the fact he is in the Ed Sullivan theater. As long as there is no 70's jumpsuit huge sideburn guy this week singing My Way, I'd say this is a very positive thing.

Re: Elvii's on Letterman -- All Week

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:42 am

Dave is my go to late night show ever since he went on the air in 1982. I've been watching him for 31 years and will continue to do so until he retires. He and Paul have always liked Elvis.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:44 am

paulsweeney wrote:Dave is my go to late night show ever since he went on the air in 1982. I've been watching him for 31 years and will continue to do so until he retires. He and Paul have always liked Elvis.

Although I don't really watch him too much these days (or much televison for that matter) I was a pretty hardcore Dave fan back in the day. I remember in the late 70s when he would make guest appearances on the Mike Douglas Show, and even remember his short-lived daytime show on NBC. Some of the stuff from the 'Late Night' era was hilarious. Larry 'Bud' Melman, the velcro and Alka-Seltzer suits, and the throwing stuff off the roof segments were classic. I was lucky enough to be at two different show tapings. Once back in the 80s at NBC and I was also there the day Dave had his first broadcast after 9/11 (that was a bit heavy to say the least).

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 am

It is definitely spelled "Elvi." The plural, that is. Here ya go! http://flyingelvi.com/

I mean, it's official. ;)

And yes, Dave is a fan.

rjm (wouldn't it be cool, if on the last day, the whole "team" jumped into the street in front of the Sullivan Theater? :smt005 )

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 am

Perhaps I take Elvis and his artistry too seriously, but I regard the entire thing as a travesty.

Wouldn't watch it if you paid me.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am

MaryAnn wrote:Perhaps I take Elvis and his artistry too seriously, but I regard the entire thing as a travesty.

Wouldn't watch it if you paid me.

Well, I don't care for the ones I've seen, although they were in stage plays . . . so it wasn't just an "ETA" thing, so far. But as far as taking Elvis seriously, I take him extremely seriously, but I also remember that he often laughed at the whole "Elvis" thing that he became, himself. Right off the bat, he did. So I take it in that spirit. I think there's a lot of love from Dave and Paul in doing this. After all, they couldn't invite him on the show!

But, I understand. I don't care for ETAs (Elvis Impersonators, if you will) unless they've got their own music going, and just like to earnestly pay tribute to him, but with their goal being their own music, their own art. There are a few of those. And then there are the "eccentrics," like El Vez. He was sorta interesting.

rjm
UPDATE: Justin Shandor (sp?)
Last edited by rjm on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.