Off Topic Messages

Sorry just venting

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 am

Found out at the end of my shift today that I was let go after 12 years, working in a hospital and giving my all, driving to get there in snowstorms, working on holidays, accepting to fill in at the last minute.I just can not believe it. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me but i am shocked and numb.My husband was very understanding when I came home and I couldn't hold my emotions in. I don't know what the future holds, but we're both 50 and I never thought I'd be fired at this age in my life! And just got a good review yesterday and now this! My world has crumbled.

Re: Sorry just venting

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:52 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:Found out at the end of my shift today that I was let go after 12 years...

That's bad news !

You'll get a redundancy payment, won't you ?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 am

sgoodyear62 wrote:Found out at the end of my shift today that I was let go after 12 years, working in a hospital and giving my all, driving to get there in snowstorms, working on holidays, accepting to fill in at the last minute.I just can not believe it. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me but i am shocked and numb.My husband was very understanding when I came home and I couldn't hold my emotions in. I don't know what the future holds, but we're both 50 and I never thought I'd be fired at this age in my life! And just got a good review yesterday and now this! My world has crumbled.

In my industry lay-offs are common. It's happened to me before and it's never fun. But remember: you were not "fired," lay-offs are simply the way businesses "reduce costs." Do not take it personally. This is no longer the America our moms and dads grew up in, and that's OK.

You are still young, and you clearly have an incredible work ethic. That is a fantastic asset, and few looking for work now can claim as much.

Take a little breather, and appreciate life. Then get back out there and look for your next adventure. I know you will find it. And this time it will be with people who appreciate all of your good qualities.

We are all rooting for you!!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sgoodyear62 wrote:Found out at the end of my shift today that I was let go after 12 years, working in a hospital and giving my all, driving to get there in snowstorms, working on holidays, accepting to fill in at the last minute.I just can not believe it. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me but i am shocked and numb.My husband was very understanding when I came home and I couldn't hold my emotions in. I don't know what the future holds, but we're both 50 and I never thought I'd be fired at this age in my life! And just got a good review yesterday and now this! My world has crumbled.

In my industry lay-offs are common. It's happened to me before and it's never fun. But remember: you were not "fired," lay-offs are simply the way businesses "reduce costs." Do not take it personally. This is no longer the America our moms and dads grew up in, and that's OK.

You are still young, and you clearly have an incredible work ethic. That is a fantastic asset, and few looking for work now can claim as much.

Take a little breather, and appreciate life. Then get back out there and look for your next adventure. I know you will find it. And this time it will be with people who appreciate all of your good qualities.

+ 1

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:40 am

Sorry to read of your bad luck. That was quite some kick in the teeth.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 am

That really is a kick in teeth and I can understand how low you must feel right now.Hang in there though you never know what's round the corner.

All the best.

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 am

While this sudden change may leave you feeling down,sometimes no most times things happen for a reason.
This could very well be a blessing in disguse for you and your family!
hope you the best!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:28 am

Beautifully said John. It's sad that no job is safe and everything is geared to reduce the bottom line. Hope it some how works out for you sgoodyear62.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I hope my years of experence lead me to something soon, very soon! I've never been let go from a job in my life and never thought it would be at age 50. We had to take our daughter and 9 year old grandson in with us in May of last year, she hasn't had any luck in finding a job. I've just never felt so down in my whole life. Feeling like i've failed is an understatement. I've had friends and co-workers tell me that since I was the highest paid in my department and couldn't go any higher, and since i've had lower back trouble the past year and had to miss some time for shots in my back which was covered for by my FMLA, that might be why i was let go, not due to a couple of mistakes in scheduleing people like i was told. But my review was so good yesterday! that's what i don't get! I've been a crying mess since i got home at 4:45 this afternoon. I feel numb and tired now. Might be a sleepless night, i don't know. A co-worker was let go last year after being there 20 years! She was in a different department than me. I loved working at that children's hospital, meeting the parents, seeing the children that came in for tests. It was hard once you got to know them and then heard they passed away from their illness. 12 years down the drain! I get my health coverage for 30 more days then it's over. 2013 is not going to be a good year! No trip to Graceland this year and no Elvis goodies either. But that's the least of my worries. Going to head out to unemployment tomorrow to see if i can get that and then start pounding the pavement, something I haven't had to do in a long time!! My husband was right..management only cares about the bottom line, not how good you do your job or how dependable you are! My way of thinking has been turned upside down! He said his grandfather told him decades ago "always do your best, but never give them your blood." I gave them my blood and got walked out of the building like a freaking criminal!! oh well, such is life!! Thanks for letting me vent and pour my frustrations out my dear Elvis friends! :cry:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 am

ColinB wrote:
sgoodyear62 wrote:Found out at the end of my shift today that I was let go after 12 years...

That's bad news !

You'll get a redundancy payment, won't you ?

No, just my health coverage for 30 days more.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:26 am

Joe Car wrote:Beautifully said John. It's sad that no job is safe and everything is geared to reduce the bottom line. Hope it some how works out for you sgoodyear62.

Thank you Joe.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thank you Dr. Carpenter.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 am

norrie wrote:That really is a kick in teeth and I can understand how low you must feel right now.Hang in there though you never know what's round the corner.

All the best.

norrie

Thank you norrie, I'll do my best to keep positive.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:31 am

Elton wrote:While this sudden change may leave you feeling down,sometimes no most times things happen for a reason.
This could very well be a blessing in disguse for you and your family!
hope you the best!

I hope so Elton. Thanks .

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 am

Very sorry this happened to you. Most of us have been in one or another similar situation.

Hold on to your good evaluations: you'll want to show them to potential employers, for one thing. (And don't let anyone keep them! I had that happen.) Another point is that if you feel you were let go for reasons other than what you were told, you'll need your evaluations. Do you belong to a union, and are planning to file one or more grievances? (Unless you are in a field where it would "mark" you as a "troublemaker," then you might not be able to do it - then you just have to leave it be).

I won't lay my own roller coaster ride on you, but it was inhuman. Really. I worked, most of my working life, in higher education. If you think it couldn't be worse: it could. Not that it would make you feel any better right now.

You seem have assembled a fine record of achievement over a long period of time, and I think you'll find a nice position soon. But it bites for sure. (They know they cannot let you go for health reasons by the way, which is why they came up with excuses. But they do.) So, of course, in your job search, I'm sure you know not to mention any health problems, nor any of their excuses.

As for your own health insurance, look into HIPPA for the time being.

And, do take a little time for yourself. But not so much that you keep thinking about the previous position. Look ahead!

I wish you and your family all the best. And, yes, you'll be in a good position, soon. Do take care, and yes indeed, we're all rooting for you!

Best,
Robin

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 am

Sorry about that, sgoodyear62. I hope, and know, that everything will turn out fine. All the best to you and yours.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

Sorry to hear this.

If you aren't already a member, sign up to Linkedin and start networking on there. It's free and a brilliant way to network with people in your sector.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

Ask friends and neighbours if they know where jobs are available.
Not all jobs are advertised!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Sorry to hear what happened.

That's another reason I'm proud to be in the United Steelworkers Union, Company's cant just pick and choose who they want to keep, and let go with unions. I've seen to many places where they just decide to layoff someone with lots of seniority, just so they can make a place for one of their family members or @ss kissing buddies. I have 21 years with UTC and they will have to shut the doors before they put my @ss out.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:45 pm

I can understand how you feel but these things often led to new challenges and new opportunities that are more rewarding and possibly less stressful. Give it time, things will work out.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Tough luck, sorry to hear that. I know it's perhaps an over-used expression, but I really believe that when one door closes, another one opens. There is something new and exciting out there for you. It may not come today or tomorrow, but you'll find it. Be pro-active. Find what you like to do, and go get it.

Best wishes for happier days.... :D

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm

sgoodyear62 wrote:My world has crumbled.

No, it hasn't. You just feel like it has.

Doc's post summed it up perfectly. I was laid off many years ago and it was the best thing to ever happen to me. Unfortunately, I now am the person who does the laying off and it is never fun. Hang in there. It may seem dark now, but things will get better.

It will happen.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm very sorry to hear the news. I know from when I was looking for a job, it can take time to find another job. Finding a job was my primary focus but I also got involved in community volunteering through our church. This is also a great way to meet employers and obtain resources. Hang in there!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Sorry to hear of your news -- hoping things work out for you.

Good luck!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 pm

Hang in there, mate.
I was fired on January 11 along with 60 other co workers from Avaya, an American company that decided to move their business someplace else.
Something else will come up, believe me. If not I will just busk away with my guitar on the New York metro :mrgreen: