Off Topic Messages

Bruce Springsteen bootleg

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 am

My first boot. No, not Elvis. Bruce Springsteen. Originally a plain white cover , until I made my own.…He's still the Boss...and the best.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360107649.602654.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Bruce Springsteen bootleg

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 am

Cool cover Paul.You should be proud of you're younger self!

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:19 am

norrie wrote:Cool cover Paul.You should be proud of you're younger self!

norrie

Thanks. I got that boot double LP in 1981 when I was 19.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 am

The 7-07-1978 Roxy show in Los Angeles was the first of five official radio broadcasts that year.

Bruce opened with "Rave On" and proceeded to rip the roof off of the 500-seat club. It's an intense and glorious listening experience.

The others were from Cleveland (8-09), Passaic (9-19), Atlanta (9-30) and San Francisco (12-15). They are all unique, thrill rides that encompass everything that is great about rock 'n' roll. Had any one of them been released by Columbia in 1979, we would still be referring to it as quite likely the very greatest live rock 'n' roll album of all time.

Springsteen's tour for Darkness on the Edge of Town is perhaps the greatest of any single performer in history, and certainly ranks as his personal best. And this is from someone who has been putting on stunning live shows for over 43 years.

Darkness Tour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_Tour

Bruce turns 64 this September, and continues to put on three-hour shows, with a different set list of songs both old and new night after night.

He is amazing.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The 7-07-1978 Roxy show in Los Angeles was the first of five official radio broadcasts that year.

Bruce opened with "Rave On" and proceeded to rip the roof off of the 500-seat club. It's an intense and glorious listening experience.

The others were from Cleveland (8-09), Passaic (9-19), Atlanta (9-30) and San Francisco (12-15). They are all unique, thrill rides that encompass everything that is great about rock 'n' roll. Had any one of them been released by Columbia in 1979, we would still be referring to it as quite likely the very greatest live rock 'n' roll album of all time.

Springsteen's tour for Darkness on the Edge of Town is perhaps the greatest of any single performer in history, and certainly ranks as his personal best. And this is from someone who has been putting on stunning live shows for over 43 years.

Darkness Tour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_Tour

Bruce turns 64 this September, and continues to put on three-hour shows, with a different set list of songs both old and new night after night.

He is amazing.

He sure is and I'll see and hear him (again) in person in a few months time.64 going on 24.What a guy.

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 am

It's been years since I looked at this LP. Now I need some help. Below us the set list, and the "label" that says 8 15 75...?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360124102.519938.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360124118.486232.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Label date is incorrect. Vinyl bootleg is also incomplete.

From Brucebase:

1978-07-07 - THE ROXY THEATRE, WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA

RAVE ON (2.49) / BADLANDS (5.11) / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT (8.07) / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (5.04) / CANDY'S ROOM (3.39) / FOR YOU (7.03) / POINT BLANK (7.27) / THE PROMISED LAND (5.52) / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT (10.51) / RACING IN THE STREET (9.06) / THUNDER ROAD (6.53) / PARADISE BY THE "C" (4.16) / FIRE (3.14) / ADAM RAISED A CAIN (5.47) / MONA - SHE'S THE ONE (13.58) / GROWIN' UP (9.15) / IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY (4.44) / BACKSTREETS (14.31) / HEARTBREAK HOTEL (2.36) / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) (11.15) / INDEPENDENCE DAY (6.15) / BORN TO RUN (5.35) / BECAUSE THE NIGHT (6.09) / RAISE YOUR HAND (8.38) / TWIST AND SHOUT (9.09)

FM broadcast. Remarkable setlist includes the premieres of "Point Blank", "Rave On" and "Heartbreak Hotel". Another live debut "Independence Day" is performed solo on piano for only time on the tour. "Point Blank" features different lyrics to later versions and is played slightly differently. Also includes the first known tour performances of both "Twist And Shout" and "Raise Your Hand". Originally broadcast on KMET FM Radio. "Point Blank" and "Thunder Road" have been edited where the original broadcast had problems. Probably one of the best shows Bruce will ever do. Available on many unofficial LPs and on CDs 'Roxy Night' (Crystal Cat), 'Hands Towards The Sky' (Lobster Records) and most recently on CDR 'No Private Party' (Ev2). This show was one of the main source concerts for the official Live 1975-85 box set, which includes no less than eight recordings from this show (“Spirit In The Night”, “Paradise By The ‘C’", “Adam Raised A Cain”, “Growin’ Up” [with a few cuts in the middle-part “lawyer” story], “It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City”, a heavily edited “Backstreets” with the "Sad Eyes" sequence removed, “Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)” and “Raise Your Hand”). Another performance recorded that night, “For You”, was later released as a B-side/bonus track on 7”/12” vinyl worldwide, and on CD in Japan only (Live Collection EP). In addition, a short live excerpt from this show (Bruce’s speech given after “Badlands” about a photo recently taken of him) was officially - and exclusively - released on a promotion-only 7” flexidisc issued to subscribers of Austrian pop magazine "Rennbahn Express" in June 1981. Thanks to Lost in the flood for the update.

http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1978#070778

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks Doc!

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 pm

The Roxy show and the other '78 radio broadcasts have all been bootlegged many times over the years with progressively better sound. They are now available in a quality that is good as any commercial release from the period. As Dr Carpenter correctly states, they are indisputably the pinnacle of Springsteen's live performances.

Do yourself a favor and search out these shows in stunning sound. They are all available for free download if you know where to look.

Chris

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:47 am

ChrisM wrote:The Roxy show and the other '78 radio broadcasts have all been bootlegged many times over the years with progressively better sound. They are now available in a quality that is good as any commercial release from the period. As Dr Carpenter correctly states, they are indisputably the pinnacle of Springsteen's live performances.

Do yourself a favor and search out these shows in stunning sound. They are all available for free download if you know where to look.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I'll track down the full Roxy show.