Off Topic Messages

Muhammad Ali

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:57 am

Read this in the Sun newspaper,very sad if it's true,

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... -feud.html

Re: Muhammad Ali

Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:45 pm

yeh, a big 'if'.....(not that I'm cynical or anything)

sadly families do have to tell their story and have an axe to grind, especially when they have no money

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:17 am

I am very upset when I heard of this on Belgian radio (!) today, and STILL don't know if it's true or not. I guess not, because the tv stations are dead silent about it? Even CNN. Internet has conflicting info, mostly pointing to him being alive (but perhaps not so well..).

So it must be a lie then ?

So what is this all about ?? :x

Money-hungry media ?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 am

James27 wrote:I am very upset when I heard of this on Belgian radio (!) today, and STILL don't know if it's true or not. I guess not, because the tv stations are dead silent about it? Even CNN. Internet has conflicting info, mostly pointing to him being alive (but perhaps not so well..).

So it must be a lie then ?

So what is this all about ?? :x

Money-hungry media ?

Most likely. It's "The Sun." For starters. Secondly, there are contradictions in the story: he doesn't speak (we know that), but he spoken to him on the phone? (Which they then try to tidy up after realizing it makes no sense.)

Then this: “If my brother had all his faculties, he’d look after me. I’d be living in a mansion.”

So, seems like some family members wish he'd kick the bucket already. Can't wait to fight over the money, that sort of thing.

Who knows if his condition has changed? He can't show expression, or speak, but according to all previous accounts, knows everything that's going on. If that has changed, I haven't seen it in any official place.

rjm

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 am

aussieite 0 likes
Just seen a photo of him in one of our papers, supposedly enjoying the Super Bowl, so who do you believe???????

This is one of the comments following the story.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Rudy/Rahman, truly loves his brother. They grew up together, sparred together, travelled together, he was always by his brother's side. He was capable in the ring but clearly missed the genius that his brother had. So Cassius/Muhammad wanted him to quit fighting asap, because he got beat up in the ring, which was another reason for Muhammad to make good. And he did. But this lead to a situation where his brother depended on him, his whole life circled around Muhammad. After his brother quit fighting, everybody more and more had to fend for themselves, including his brother, Bundini and others. The show was over.
The rest of Ali's life would be spent attending prize fights, signing autographs on pricey stuff, being rightfully honoured, with a rare interview now and then, which has become impossible now.

I AM sure that Muhammad had wanted his brother to be well-off, nu question in my mind about that, he always too care first and foremost of his brother and parents (and his wife of that moment, of course!).
But from what I've read through the years Lonnie has been good to him, certainly better fitted than Veronica, and an intelligent woman, who always cared for Muhammad.

That said, it does make me sad to see Muhammad paraded around in his condition. The "crowning" event/spectacle ("King of Boxing") in Mexico, where he looked like he had no idea what was going on around him, and where they placed him on a golden throne, put a crown on his head and draped a king's cape around his shoulders, made me more sad than anything else. His part in the Ali circus, which he used to control like no other, has become almost zero. He is in a bad medical condition now, where he is helpless without those around him, and cannot resist anything placed before him anymore.

They should thus leave him alone, and only let him do what HE really wants to do. The man has done more than enough. His legend has long been cut in stone. It saddens me that he, perhaps unknowingly by his surrounding people, is made a spectacle of, such a proud and strong man. A true living worldwide legend. This should not be able to happen, his health should come first, not publicity, not even for good causes. There are other, more healthy icons and celebrities that they can parade around for good causes.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Taken yesterday while rooting for Baltimore.

He seems to be breathing pretty well on his own.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks for the pic Rob, nice to know Ali is not as bad healt hwise as people try to paint him.

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:14 am

aussieite 0 likes
Just seen a photo of him in one of our papers, supposedly enjoying the Super Bowl, so who do you believe???????

This is one of the comments following the story