Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Aloha From Hawaii in the URSS?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Is there evidence that Aloha From Hawaii has been seen in the USSR.

The picture inside the album cover shows a signal in the USSR (remember that the Cold War era). The TV signal was received in the countries that had signed a contract with RCA, and I suppose also with NBC.

Anyone have more information? Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Aloha From Hawaii in the URSS?

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm

"Aloha From Hawaii Via Sattelite" was not seen live in then USSR in 1973.

Western music made a bigger burst into the USSR after Nikita Khruschov’s period. Only that time the Beatles were the ones to lead that invasion. With records becoming more easily accessible, totalitarian regime less strict Elvis was playing a second role. In the 70’s the KGB surely possessed the information on Elvis’ being an FBI agent, and definitely Kremlin resisted his infiltration more than anyone else’s. That also explains why “Aloha” never aired in the USSR

Source:
Elvis: Behind The Iron Curtain
http://www.elvisnews.com/articles.aspx/ ... rtain/1027

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:29 pm

promiseland wrote:"Aloha From Hawaii Via Sattelite" was not seen live in then USSR in 1973.

Source:

Very interesting article. Thanks a lot promisedland :)

Now what about the interior design of the cover album?
It is a mistake? It was an assumption that was not corrected? a lie? It was another strategy of Colonel Parker?

Who supervised the information that RCA put in thousands of albums to be released? :?
Last edited by javierTCB on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:30 pm

javierTCB wrote:
promiseland wrote:"Aloha From Hawaii Via Sattelite" was not seen live in then USSR in 1973.

Source:

Very interesting article. Thanks a lot promisedland :)

Now what about the interior design of the cover album?
It is a mistake? It was an assumption that was not corrected? a lie? otra estrategia del coronel parker?

Who supervised the information that RCA put in thousands of albums to be released? :?

Nothing more - or less - than creative license . . .

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Western music made a bigger burst into the USSR after Nikita Khruschov’s period. Only that time the Beatles were the ones to lead that invasion. With records becoming more easily accessible, totalitarian regime less strict Elvis was playing a second role. In the 70’s the KGB surely possessed the information on Elvis’ being an FBI agent, and definitely Kremlin resisted his infiltration more than anyone else’s. That also explains why “Aloha” never aired in the USSR

Source:

Yes, unfortunately the Russian people have not seen this concert.
I live in Russia and met a few people who do would know this concert.
Now Russian fans are of course all about Elvis already know, but ordinary citizens do not.

By the way, about 6 ago, I saw this show on TV (channel is called "Culture" ) in the night's New Year (it was somewhere at 3 am). It was very nice =)

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Timofey wrote:Yes, unfortunately the Russian people have not seen this concert.
I live in Russia and met a few people who do would know this concert.
Now Russian fans are of course all about Elvis already know, but ordinary citizens do not.

By the way, about 6 ago, I saw this show on TV (channel is called "Culture" ) in the night's New Year (it was somewhere at 3 am). It was very nice =)

I guess for fans of Russia had to be shocking to see that on the cover of the album was brought to his country as one of the received television signal :shock:

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 am

In the album jacket there also reads that "Me rakastamme Elvistä" in Finnish language. The first time Aloha from Hawaii was broadcasted in Finland was on August 24th, 1981.

In Russia it was showed in the mid '90s by Channel 1.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 am

I'm sure the "America Eagle" suit wouldn't have been appreciated by the 1973 Russian leaders? 8)

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am

Robert wrote:I'm sure the "America Eagle" suit wouldn't have been appreciated by the 1973 Russian leaders? 8)

indexical elements of the Cold War

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:42 am

Only legal song in Sovjet in the 50s was this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tWwHOXMhI

This was because the russian should think they had it like this in USA. :smt006

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:29 am

Brining an old thread to life...

It is assumed that the concert could have been seen on the Far East. I have heard of no witnesses though.

Interesting is the fact that the big screen behind Elvis, which featured his name written on different languages, actually had an "Elvis" written on Russian (with a couple of mistakes though). As you could have noticed it also made its way into the opening credits of the US broadcast (which features Elvis arriving on a helicopter). What could have been the reason for this? Maybe there have been plans to broadcast the show to the Soviet Union but negotiations simply fell apart? This would be interesting to find out.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:58 am

do we have a list of countries that got the show live as it happened ?

Also apart from Japan did any other country have any special behind the scenes look at the show or have anything different ?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:11 pm

Sounds like it wasn't broadcast in the USSR. What about he URSS?

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:33 am

stevelecher wrote:Sounds like it wasn't broadcast in the USSR. What about he URSS?

URSS is how in Spanish we knew the country

like EEUU = USA

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:41 am

IMHO, the art work of the original album is a mess. I do like the globe, satellite,and space concept. However, they use a very unflattering picture of Elvis and not even from the show! I was outraged as a kid in 1973 and still am today. RCA did some incredibly sloppy work for Elvis. The inside sleeves were just down right embarrasing with Elvis being super imposed with the Hawaiian girls. Just a mess!

rlj

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 am

why didn't they use pictures from the show ?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 am

rlj4ep wrote:IMHO, the art work of the original album is a mess. I do like the globe, satellite,and space concept. However, they use a very unflattering picture of Elvis and not even from the show! I was outraged as a kid in 1973 and still am today. RCA did some incredibly sloppy work for Elvis. The inside sleeves were just down right embarrasing with Elvis being super imposed with the Hawaiian girls. Just a mess!

rlj

That's probably the reason why it's not included on my british 1978 pressing - or is it usually?

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:45 pm

Francesc wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Sounds like it wasn't broadcast in the USSR. What about he URSS?

URSS is how in Spanish we knew the country

like EEUU = USA

For french people, it's URSS too, so I have to think of the Beatles song "Back in the USSR" to write it in english. Thank you, Paul McCartney !