Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Nancy Sinatra's comments on Speedway

Sat May 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Has any of you ever read this? Quite nice to read her comments/reactions on this forum:

http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/nancy-sinatra-9/nancy-speedway-15437/index4.html

Althought I don't quite agree with:

Administrator

The only good thing about Speedway was Elvis at his peak, in his prime. He was beautiful. This movie and his "comeback" special were his zenith. I mean how gorgeous was he then. WOW! .

Re: Nancy Sinatra's comments on Speedway

Sat May 14, 2011 11:48 pm

That's not fair, Bill Bixby is excellent in that film !

Sun May 15, 2011 12:30 am

If only EPE had a web site like this.

http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/index.php

Have a good look, especially the discographyies.

And the Sinatra family don't have a Graceland earning megabucks to pay for it.

Sun May 15, 2011 4:03 am

E.P.E. and the Sinatra Estate have different priorities and ideas on how to treat the legacies of Frank and Elvis. Nancy Sinatra, the Sinatra family and estate have commented on how they will never go down the same route as E.P.E. with merchandising et al, although such isn't entirely off the table.

Frank, however, owned his own masters - post Capitol - produced in Hollywood and had a vested, pro-active interest in the mechanics of his career - this has allowed the Sinatra estate to retain a great deal of control over his music catalogue and play a genuine part in numerous projects over the years. Partnerships with Warner Bros. have proved fruitful and a good relationship with Capitol helps greatly, and the focus - always the man and his music. The Sinatra Family forum being a great testament to that - it's a terrific site!

It's oft said by Presley fans that the handling of Elvis's back catalogue, estate etc. could benefit from following the Beatles' lead, but, IMO, as much, if not more, could be taken from the Sinatra Estate. But, as I said, they have different priorities . . .

Sun May 15, 2011 7:16 am

I find it amusing how Sinatra fans said that it was a Nancy Sinatra vehicle and on here it's a different story. On another note, the Sinatra Estate does handle Frank's memory very differently and more tastefully than EPE. They should take a few lessons from the Sinatra's when it comes to honoring someone's memory.

Sun May 15, 2011 11:29 am

Speedway was a vehicle for Nancy and I'm sure her popularity helped up the films takings - but Elvis was the star, the lead and it was, first-and-foremost, a vehicle for him.

Speedway would have been no less - or more - without Nancy, in terms of quality, but she was one of the weakest of Elvis's female co-stars, IMO. Granted, takings were up on most of the other Presley flicks since Girl Happy, but the film was totally listless from start-to-finish (IMO) and hardly a roaring success.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:41 am

greystoke wrote:Speedway was a vehicle for Nancy and I'm sure her popularity helped up the films takings - but Elvis was the star, the lead and it was, first-and-foremost, a vehicle for him.

Speedway would have been no less - or more - without Nancy, in terms of quality, but she was one of the weakest of Elvis's female co-stars, IMO. Granted, takings were up on most of the other Presley flicks since Girl Happy, but the film was totally listless from start-to-finish (IMO) and hardly a roaring success.

I very much liked how the title song was a not-so-subtle homage to the hit TV show theme, "Batman." Some of the sets resembled what one saw on that ABC-TV series as well.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 am

Nancy did not have the same chemistry with Elvis as Ann-Margaret. Greytstoke has it right.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
greystoke wrote:Speedway was a vehicle for Nancy and I'm sure her popularity helped up the films takings - but Elvis was the star, the lead and it was, first-and-foremost, a vehicle for him.

I very much liked how the title song was a not-so-subtle homage to the hit TV show theme, "Batman." Some of the sets resembled what one saw on that ABC-TV series as well.

Begora! He's right!

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm

if Speedway made a box office of 3 million dollars I think this is the best sum since Tickle Me.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:08 pm

I enjoy speedway alot, Bill Bixby actually cracks me up in that movie, the parts where elvis gives stuff, like a new car, and such things, Kind of relate to how he was in real life.
I Watch it a few times a year and ''who are you who am i'' is really beautiful

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:10 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I very much liked how the title song was a not-so-subtle homage to the hit TV show theme, "Batman." Some of the sets resembled what one saw on that ABC-TV series as well.

Begora! He's right!

Indeed, Chief!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I very much liked how the title song was a not-so-subtle homage to the hit TV show theme, "Batman." Some of the sets resembled what one saw on that ABC-TV series as well.

Begora! He's right!

Indeed, Chief!

:)