Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Video ; in 1975, Lennon talked about elvis

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm always quick to jump to Elvis' defence to any non fan who criticizes him, because they don't "get it" do they? But Lennon was one of us, a BIG Elvis fan, but also a fan who had an opinion, He was more a fan of the 50's Elvis, that's plainly obvious , and with him being a mega star in his own right, his comments were and are widely discussed and debated, but at the end of the day, he was just stating his own honest opinion, whether we like it or not.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:12 pm

John Lennon and Elvis? How great if they became friends and put an terrific album together! I think both had a very strong personality and they could be sometimes like brothers. John was maybe the greatest composer of the 20'th Century and Elvis was the best voice. How terrific could be if they stayed together in a record studio. I think they could be an unbeatable duo in the 70's, after the separation of The Beatles. And John Lennon was a huge Elvis fan, no doubt about it but a critical one also, like he was with himself. I wonder if Elvis could listen and understood what was wrong with his career these days and to the wake up call from John in that August 27 1965 meeting.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:25 pm

I wish Paul would have written songs for an Elvis album.

He wrote this one for The Everly Brothers in the 80s:

phpBB [video]

Among many, many other songs written for different artists.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 am

That song Paul wrote for the Evs is a gem. Probably the best song from their reunion album.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:57 am

jurasic1968 wrote:John Lennon and Elvis? How great if they became friends and put an terrific album together! I think both had a very strong personality and they could be sometimes like brothers. John was maybe the greatest composer of the 20'th Century and Elvis was the best voice. How terrific could be if they stayed together in a record studio. I think they could be an unbeatable duo in the 70's, after the separation of The Beatles. And John Lennon was a huge Elvis fan, no doubt about it but a critical one also, like he was with himself. I wonder if Elvis could listen and understood what was wrong with his career these days and to the wake up call from John in that August 27 1965 meeting.

:wtf:

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:03 am

Lonely Summer wrote:We talk a lot here about how Elvis let down his fans by dropping the rock and roll image after he got out of the army, recorded mediocre soundtracks and appeared in mediocre movies, played Vegas with an orchestra in tacky jumpsuits,etc, but what about the Beatles? They let down their fans by breaking up. HOW DARE THEY! They should've known that the four of them individually could never be as good as the four of them together - although, occasionally, they came close (John's Imagine album, George's All Things Must Pass, Paul's Band on the Run, and Ringo's...uh...I'll have to get back to you on that one).

Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:27 am

ian wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:We talk a lot here about how Elvis let down his fans by dropping the rock and roll image after he got out of the army, recorded mediocre soundtracks and appeared in mediocre movies, played Vegas with an orchestra in tacky jumpsuits,etc, but what about the Beatles? They let down their fans by breaking up. HOW DARE THEY! They should've known that the four of them individually could never be as good as the four of them together - although, occasionally, they came close (John's Imagine album, George's All Things Must Pass, Paul's Band on the Run, and Ringo's...uh...I'll have to get back to you on that one).

It's okay, Ian, I was just spoofing the attitute sometimes shown on this forum that the Fab Four could do no wrong, and Elvis sometimes could do no right.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:That song Paul wrote for the Evs is a gem. Probably the best song from their reunion album.

I agree!
Here's Paul's demo

phpBB [video]

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 am

I have that demo on a 45, of all things. Flip side is a Wings outtake called Cage, which is also quite nice.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:39 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I have that demo on a 45, of all things. Flip side is a Wings outtake called Cage, which is also quite nice.

That should be a bootleg.
I have the song on a Yellow Cat CD named "Backyard".

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 am

javilu wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:I have that demo on a 45, of all things. Flip side is a Wings outtake called Cage, which is also quite nice.

That should be a bootleg.
I have the song on a Yellow Cat CD named "Backyard".

Yeah, it's a boot. Quite a bit of that stuff is on youtube now, but I haven't heard a mix of Cage that I like as much as the one on the 45. I'm hoping some of these things come out officially as the archive series moves along. Wings Over America is supposed to be next, that's gonna be a killer!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:Yeah, it's a boot. Quite a bit of that stuff is on youtube now, but I haven't heard a mix of Cage that I like as much as the one on the 45. I'm hoping some of these things come out officially as the archive series moves along. Wings Over America is supposed to be next, that's gonna be a killer!

I have a gazillion mixes of "Cage" on this 3 cd set bootleg. Probablu the mix you have as well. Have you heard this one?

disc 1:
1. a love for you (basic backing track)
2. a love for you (final mix 1)
3. a love for you (final mix 2)
4. a love for you (final mix 3)
5. hey diddle (basic backing track)
6. hey diddle (final mix 1)
7. hey diddle (final mix 2)
8. hey diddle (final mix 3)
9. hey diddle (final mix 4)
10. mama's little girl (final mix 1)
11. mama's little girl (final mix 2)
12. mama's little girl (final mix 3)
13. mama's little girl (final mix 4)
14. best friend (original live track)
15. best friend (final mix 1)
16. best friend (final mix 2)
17. best friend (final mix 3)
18. best friend (final mix 4)

disc 2:
1. tragedy (basic track)
2. tragedy (rough mix)
3. tragedy (final mix 1)
4. tragedy (final mix 2)
5. tragedy (final mix 3)
6. wide prairie (final mix 1)
7. wide prairie (final mix 2)
8. night out (basic track)
9. night out (rough mix)
10. night out (final mix 1)
11. night out (final mix 2)
12. night out (final mix 3)
13. proud mum
14. proud mum (reprise)
15. tomorrow (instrumental)
16. lunch box-odd sox (basic track)
17. lunch box-odd sox (final mix)
18. my carnival (final mix 1)
19. my carnival (final mix 2)
20. my carnival (final mix 3)
21. mardi gras in new orleans

disc 3:
1. waterspout (basic backing track)
2. waterspout (rough monitor mix)
3. waterspout (final mix 1)
4. waterspout (final mix 2)
5. same time next year (final mix 1)
6. same time next year (final mix 2)
7. same time next year (final mix 3)
8. did we meet somewhere before (final mix 1)
9. did we meet somewhere before (final mix 2)
10. did we meet somewhere before (final mix 3)
11. cage (home demo 1)
12. cage (home demo 2)
13. cage (''back to the egg'' original line-up mix)
14. cage (final mix 1)
15. cage (final mix 2)
16. robber's ball (final mix 1)
17. robber's ball (final mix 2)

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:It's okay, Ian, I was just spoofing the attitute sometimes shown on this forum that the Fab Four could do no wrong, and Elvis sometimes could do no right.

Where on this forum may one find someone saying that "the Fab Four could do no wrong, and Elvis sometimes could do no right"?