Alternate cover art done by fans

Elvis At The Piano

Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:54 pm

EATP-Preview-Sheet-copy.jpg

High resolution artwork and background information here:

http://memoryrevival.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/elvisatthepiano/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis At The Piano

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Nice work.

Doesn't Elvis play piano on Old Shep, too?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Nice work.

Doesn't Elvis play piano on Old Shep, too?

Thank you. I think you are correct re: "Old Shep", quite possibly "How's The World Treating You" too, and I'm sure there are others.

However, I only used tracks that I was absolutely certain that Elvis played on. The session books don't always give information on specific tracks unfortunately, and this would have helped a lot.

If the experts here are able to come up with a comprehensive list, I may revise the tracklisting at some point, or compile another volume.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:04 am

This looks awesome! may i ask what Lettertype font u used for elvis his name!

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 am

Johnny2523 wrote:This looks awesome! may i ask what Lettertype font u used for elvis his name!

It appears to be one used by RCA or Boxcar in the '70s.

---

Sorry I missed this topic.

The art on the blog is really nice, professional release quality, and the selections nearly mirror what I might choose for such a collection. One thing I would change is using multiple takes. I would simply pick the best single example of Elvis at the piano and the song.

9-eatp-back.jpg

Additionally, some of the suggestions below might be more enjoyable than the trio of soundboard bonus cuts. All are superb performances of Elvis at the piano. The ones in blue are essential.

Tryin' to Get to You - 1955
Old Shep - 1956
Peace In The Valley - 1957, take 1
Wear My Ring (Around Your Neck) - 1958
I Understand - 1958 demo
Earth Angel - 1959 demo
The Titles Will Tell - 1959 demo
Send Me Some Lovin' - 1959 demo
The Fool - 1959 demo
I Wonder, I Wonder, I Wonder - 1960 demo, duet w/Nancy Sharp
Make Believe - 1960 demo, duet w/Nancy Sharp
If I Loved You - 1966 demo, use Time-Life mastering
Moonlight Sonata - 1966 demo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:This looks awesome! may i ask what Lettertype font u used for elvis his name!

---

The art on the blog is really nice, professional release quality, and the selections nearly mirror what I might choose for such a collection. One thing I would change is using multiple takes. I would simply pick the best single example of Elvis at the piano and the song.

9-eatp-back.jpg

Additionally, some of the suggestions below might be more enjoyable than the trio of soundboard bonus cuts. All are superb performances of Elvis at the piano. The ones in blue are essential.

Old Shep - 1956
I Understand - 1958 demo
Earth Angel - 1959 demo
The Fool - 1959 demo

atleast Unchained Melody from Rapid City could stay in your list thou doc, to make it a complete round

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

---

9-eatp-back.jpg

Old Shep - 1956
I Understand - 1958 demo
Earth Angel - 1959 demo
The Fool - 1959 demo

Thanks so much for your input DJC. I thought I had missed a few masters, but wasn’t absolutely sure about Elvis’ input on some of them. There are some essential performances in your list. The FTD classic albums were the inspiration for the artwork and sequencing, so the additional alternate takes mirror what might have been on the second disc, had there been enough music for a two disc set. I don't burn these compilations to disc anymore, I save them to a HD, so the way I have sequenced this, the first 10 tracks represent the 'original album' (which expands on the 4 track RCA release from 1980) and this will be played regularly. The additional performances are represntative of the ‘second disc’ and can be played when I am in the mood for the alternates. I agree that these are a little repetitive, but I've always loved the intimate May 1971 piano recordings, and I really enjoyed hearing the out takes from these sessions on FTD's "Fool" and Venus's "Unedited Masters" which is why I found a place for them here.

The soundboards are purely bonus material which were sequenced at the end of the disc due to the differences in sound quality. I did consider including some of the home recordings originally , but was also toying with the idea of compiling these on a separate collection. However, your input here has given me the inspiration to re-edit and re-sequence the whole thing, and I will post the new version here as soon as this is completed. It will be an excellent collection with the addition of the above songs, and a more comprehensive overview of Elvis’ piano recordings.

Any thoughts on whether Elvis plays piano on "How's The World Treating You" DJC?

I'm currently working on a collection featuring Elvis on guitar, so your input and thoughts on this would also be most welcome.

Johnny2523, I was looking for the font used on the "Elvis Country" album and the one I used here looks the same or very similar. I think it is called 'victoriana' but I'm on the netbook at the moment and don't have the photoshop files at hand. I will check on this and get back to you.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 am

rockinrebel wrote:Any thoughts on whether Elvis plays piano on "How's The World Treating You" DJC?

I'm currently working on a collection featuring Elvis on guitar, so your input and thoughts on this would also be most welcome.

It's either Elvis or Jordanaire Gordon Stoker. They each played on tracks from the September 1956 sessions. IIRC, the tune includes a plaintive solo which might be a bit more than Elvis might have wanted to do, especially since it was the last song of the day, and they started it after 8pm in the evening. I'll give it another listen.

Elvis on guitar -- acoustic or electric? Rhythm or lead? Strumming, or slapping the backside for percussion?

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Funny thing is that I this morning was thinking the same thing, about compiling a Elvis' voice+piano collection for myself and friends, and here it is, covers and all !

rockinrebel wrote:
EATP-Preview-Sheet-copy.jpg

High resolution artwork and background information here:

http://memoryrevival.wordpress.com/2012/06/11/elvisatthepiano/

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
It's either Elvis or Jordanaire Gordon Stoker. They each played on tracks from the September 1956 sessions. IIRC, the tune includes a plaintive solo which might be a bit more than Elvis might have wanted to do, especially since it was the last song of the day, and they started it after 8pm in the evening. I'll give it another listen.

Thanks

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis on guitar -- acoustic or electric? Rhythm or lead? Strumming, or slapping the backside for percussion?

I'm trying to compile a showcase of Elvis' guitar playing, so rhythm or lead and they could be acoustic or electric performances.

This can include studio work, rehearsals, live recordings and informal performances.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:23 am

rockinrebel wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

---

9-eatp-back.jpg

Old Shep - 1956
I Understand - 1958 demo
Earth Angel - 1959 demo
The Fool - 1959 demo

Thanks so much for your input DJC. I thought I had missed a few masters, but wasn’t absolutely sure about Elvis’ input on some of them. There are some essential performances in your list. The FTD classic albums were the inspiration for the artwork and sequencing, so the additional alternate takes mirror what might have been on the second disc, had there been enough music for a two disc set. I don't burn these compilations to disc anymore, I save them to a HD, so the way I have sequenced this, the first 10 tracks represent the 'original album' (which expands on the 4 track RCA release from 1980) and this will be played regularly. The additional performances are represntative of the ‘second disc’ and can be played when I am in the mood for the alternates. I agree that these are a little repetitive, but I've always loved the intimate May 1971 piano recordings, and I really enjoyed hearing the out takes from these sessions on FTD's "Fool" and Venus's "Unedited Masters" which is why I found a place for them here.

The soundboards are purely bonus material which were sequenced at the end of the disc due to the differences in sound quality. I did consider including some of the home recordings originally , but was also toying with the idea of compiling these on a separate collection. However, your input here has given me the inspiration to re-edit and re-sequence the whole thing, and I will post the new version here as soon as this is completed. It will be an excellent collection with the addition of the above songs, and a more comprehensive overview of Elvis’ piano recordings.

Any thoughts on whether Elvis plays piano on "How's The World Treating You" DJC?

Johnny2523, I was looking for the font used on the "Elvis Country" album and the one I used here looks the same or very similar. I think it is called 'victoriana' but I'm on the netbook at the moment and don't have the photoshop files at hand. I will check on this and get back to you.

Thats it Thank you so much!

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:40 am

rockinrebel wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis on guitar -- acoustic or electric? Rhythm or lead? Strumming, or slapping the backside for percussion?

I'm trying to compile a showcase of Elvis' guitar playing, so rhythm or lead and they could be acoustic or electric performances.

This can include studio work, rehearsals, live recordings and informal performances.

I was wondering if you made progression on your concept of "Elvis At The Guitar" ?

I was messing around with it myself lately, love to see your ideas.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:53 pm

James27 wrote:
I was wondering if you made progression on your concept of "Elvis At The Guitar" ?

I was messing around with it myself lately, love to see your ideas.

Hi James

I've been working on an upgrade of the piano compilation, taking into account the additional information included in this thread, and that should be finished, and uploaded to my blog within the next few days.

The guitar project is still at the ideas stage, but it is something that I am definitely going to progress with. Once the new piano compilation is uploaded, I will post some ideas re: the guitar compilation.

I think it would be better to discuss it on the forum first, and take into account input and ideas from those that contribute.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:17 am

That's great rockinrebel, I'll be visiting your blog soon then.. 8)

Both concepts (piano and guitar) sound very interesting to me.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:51 pm

Updated:

http://memoryrevival.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/elvis-at-the-piano-revised-and-updated/

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:42 am

Really great work indeed. Elvis at the piano, or where the piano is prominent, are amongst my favourite listenings.

With that in mind, I would suggest for inclusion 'Danny Boy' (76 Master) 'As long as I have you' (the version that first appeared on The Rockin' Rebel, if memory serves) and 'Almost' (undubbed).

As a bonus track, here's the one from 77 where Elvis takes over piano duties!

phpBB [video]

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:27 am

Great designing work as well as tasteful track selection, rockinrebel! I've taken the liberty in DL'ing the beautiful cover art for my own use.
I love it. :)

Elvis says at the end "Thank you, Tony", which leads me to believe that perhaps Elvis only did the intro, and not the whole piano accompaniment of this '77 version of Blueberry Hill ?
Also, it gets a little bit more "professional" after that Fats Domino-styled Elvis intro, perhaps indication that Tony was put back in place behind the piano after the intro.
Is there footage of this performance ?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 am

James27 wrote:Elvis says at the end "Thank you, Tony", which leads me to believe that perhaps Elvis only did the intro, and not the whole piano accompaniment of this '77 version of Blueberry Hill ?
Also, it gets a little bit more "professional" after that Fats Domino-styled Elvis intro, perhaps indication that Tony was put back in place behind the piano after the intro.
Is there footage of this performance ?

No footage that I know of. Sounds like Elvis throughout to me.

But I could be wrong, and if I am wrong I wanna be put right.

Is there a doctor in the house ?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:59 am

James27 wrote:Elvis says at the end "Thank you, Tony", which leads me to believe that perhaps Elvis only did the intro, and not the whole piano accompaniment of this '77 version of Blueberry Hill ?

Listening to it again, I think you're right.

Which means I was wrong. Oh well :wink:

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Or he's thanking Tony for vacating the chair?

There are some touches that sound like maybe it isn't Elvis though. Not sure.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:50 am

elvis played piano on "don't leave me now"?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:49 pm

matilda wrote:elvis played piano on "don't leave me now"?

One of the "Jailhouse Rock" movie versions, yes.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:23 pm

in the movie itself stoller is on piano (although i know it was prerecorded).
i just did not know elvis played on the piano on recording (the one version which is also on cd 3 of the 50s masters box).
i guess it must be also in ernst book of the sessions...

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:44 am

I missed this topic for a long time, sorry! Elvis' piano work is certainly more distintice, recognizable, as is his (better) guitar work. I like him play both instruments, but this is because of his style (which Johnny Cash himself also commented on, about how unique and recognizable it was, even in '55), his attack, his bite. That makes up for the occasional out-of-tune business or missed chords. Elvis was frenetic with playing rock 'n' roll songs, and I like that. A wild, hillbilly Tiger Man cat. :D

Technically Tony and all the otyher pros were better as paiona players, but less imaginative sometimes, than Elvis. Also, they sometimes did NOT have the musical background (example: how to play New Orléans style Domino) for all the requested styles. So cool Elvis just took over. Very funny. So I prefer Elvis doing the piano himself on his own singing, because also that way his voice and his paino playing merge into one emotional outcry. A synergy. Like "rags To Riches". "Where No One Stands Alone". "You'' Lever Walk Alone". "Unchained Melody".

The difference to me is often shivers when EP does it ALL by himself. Better technically isn't always better musically or emotionally.