Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Videos you watched a million times ?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 pm

hi

post here Videos that you've watched a million times ?
it can be everything ( only music of course )

Re: Videos you watched a million times ?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:55 pm

phpBB [video]

No one was this good in the 80's.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:59 pm

If you are literally talking a million, it would be my "Kissin Cousins" DVD.

I just cannot get enough "Barefoot Ballad."

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:48 am

please dont doubt that my question is serious :facep:

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:10 am

All The Way In! (1984)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162846/

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
phpBB [video]

No one was this good in the 80's.

I won't argue about who's "better"; but "this good"? Well, she was certainly superb (that's probably my fave, by the way).

I didn't watch this one a "million" times, but many more times than I can count. And it doesn't get "better" than this in the '80s, either.

phpBB [video]

First time since Elvis died, that I felt musically "alive" again. (Hope you all can understand what that means.)

And then he broke my heart. Again, and again. And finally, again.

rjm

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:58 pm

The Jackson clip is a classic - a real dancing masterclass. I was disappointed when I realised he was miming though.

It must be an Elvis performance that has clocked up the most views for me. It's most likely either one of the That's The Way It Is tracks or a Loving You clip.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

rjm wrote:
I didn't watch this one a "million" times, but many more times than I can count. And it doesn't get "better" than this in the '80s, either.

phpBB [video]

I can certainly appreciate the technical brilliance of Michael Jackson here; but for me, it comes across a tad clinical - over choreographed if you will.

It's like he's visibly running through the whole routine [in his head] millisecond by millisecond; which is fine I suppose; but in doing so, tends to lose some naturalness in his performance.

Anyway, Madonna dug the song; as she found a home for it in the middle of Like A Virgin, when performing it on her first concert tour in '85 [see below].

phpBB [video]

Like A Virgin (including excerpt from Billie Jean) - Madonna (Detroit, May 25, 1985)

Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
rjm wrote:

phpBB [video]

I can certainly appreciate the technical brilliance of Michael Jackson here; but for me, it comes across a tad clinical - over choreographed if you will.

It's like he's visibly running through the whole routine [in his head] millisecond by millisecond; which is fine I suppose; but in doing so, tends to lose some naturalness in his performance.

Anyway, Madonna dug the song; as she found a home for it in the middle of Like A Virgin, when performing it on her first concert tour in '85 [see below].

phpBB [video]

Like A Virgin (including excerpt from Billie Jean) - Madonna (Detroit, May 25, 1985)

Thank you for that! She was always a big fan. And what she said, after, was one of the most honest and courageous things ever said by one star about another, on their passing. "We abandoned him." She let NO ONE off the hook. I was rather stunned. She's quite a woman.

Yes, of course, he was always "over-choreographed," but this once, I think, he seemed to be charged with that something undefinable, that even he couldn't control that night. (I remember feeling as though I'd been hit by lightning. And it wasn't as if I never heard of this guy!) With Michael, everything HAD to be "perfect," as though "perfection" actually existed. If not: disaster. He was not pleased with his performance that night. He said he didn't make it to his toes "perfectly," and recalled being nearly distraught over what he saw as a failure. It surprised him that others immediately loved it.

It's at the core of who he was: capable of jumping over the moon, but too afraid to just go ahead and do it. But that he got his terror into the music, made the music. Life was a moment-to-moment proposition for him, and you could hear it with every moaned "oh noooo!" What's interesting is that you nailed that: you can see that fear of "the unpredictable" literally, as you said "every millisecond." It was really a fear of disaster. And how did it all end? In disaster.

I always dug Madonna, but for entirely different reasons: she is, after all, a free spirit. He was not.

rjm