Post here your Elvis' pictures

Vegas 1973...

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 pm

...but is it February or August?

vegas73_0001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Vegas 1973...

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:...but is it February or August?

vegas73_0001.jpg

It's likely from January 1973, at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas.

730100_Las Vegas.JPG
At the Hilton, January 1973
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm

This is from a 1974 wall calendar which also has other photos from this show. Elvis is wearing his lion´s claw (or whatever that is) necklace. Did he wear that in August?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm

The fool wrote:This is from a 1974 wall calendar which also has other photos from this show. Elvis is wearing his lion´s claw (or whatever that is) necklace. Did he wear that in August?

He may have, but his trim waistline is a tell-tale clue it is from the beginning of the year, as well as the length and width of his sideburns, a match for what they were on January 14, 1973.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 pm

I would have said jan/feb right away, but when Scott asks a question like this I become doubtful. Damn you, Scott.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:36 am

The fool wrote:I would have said jan/feb right away, but when Scott asks a question like this I become doubtful. Damn you, Scott.

Here's a side-by-side comparison:

730114_Honolulu.JPG
January 14, 1973

vegas73_0001.jpg
circa January 1973

Note: waistline and sideburns appear to be similar.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 am

Great pics, guys. Always liked this particular jumpsuit.

rlj

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I was going to argue with you on this one Doc but I changed my mind. At least partly.
I first went by the microphone which is more like the ones used in Aug/Sep 1973 but then you showed the comparison between this and Aloha and then I had to start looking more closely at the photos.

And I actually came up with something that definitely proves that is is NOT from Aug/Sep 1973.
Take a look at the two photos below. One of the large stones is missing in the colour photo from June 29, 1973 so the photo would at least be from earlier than June 29, 1973. The stone is in place on the June 21, 1973 show.
Image.jpg

I´m still not completely convinced that the photo is from Las Vegas, Jan/Feb 1973. Too bad we can´t see the band platform as this would definitely have dated the photo. At lesast to where it was taken.
My question is, could it be from Lake Tahoe in May 1973? The microphone is more like the one he used during that engagement but I don´t have any real good photo that shows his waistline nor his sideburns but the sideburns were about the same shape at least up untill the June tour.

Anybody got a good photo or two from Lake Tahoe showing his sideburns and waistline??

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 pm

The fool wrote:I would have said jan/feb right away, but when Scott asks a question like this I become doubtful. Damn you, Scott.

Sorry! :D The reason I asked was that I really am not able to date any Vegas/Tahoe photos accurately.

I scanned this from the calendar you mentioned - it also has some nice photos from San Bernardino Nov 1972. The photos in this calendar were apparently taken by a Virgil Stickney? Did he put out any more calendars such as this?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 am

I am pretty sure this photo is from February 1973 Las Vegas. In Lake Tahoe the tape on the microphone is very dark or black. In Las Vegas August & September Elvis only used the seven new suits, according to “Elvis news service weekly”. The tape on the microphone in Aug. & Sept. was white only on the first two songs, then he changed to the one with blue tape. The missing stone was fixed probably during the year as it is not missing in 1974 or today, sadly I don`t think I have information on exactly when the suit was fixed.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:57 am

noone wrote:I am pretty sure this photo is from February 1973 Las Vegas. In Lake Tahoe the tape on the microphone is very dark or black. In Las Vegas August & September Elvis only used the seven new suits, according to “Elvis news service weekly”. The tape on the microphone in Aug. & Sept. was white only on the first two songs, then he changed to the one with blue tape. The missing stone was fixed probably during the year as it is not missing in 1974 or today, sadly I don`t think I have information on exactly when the suit was fixed.

Elvis did give 11 shows between January 26 and 31, 1973 -- why not one of them?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:49 am

Elvis was not that thin in Phoenix in April of '73....

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:I scanned this from the calendar you mentioned - it also has some nice photos from San Bernardino Nov 1972. The photos in this calendar were apparently taken by a Virgil Stickney? Did he put out any more calendars such as this?

I have similar calendars for 1975 and 1977. The ´75 calendar has six photos from 1974, all in color, but no info whatsoever about the photos. The ´77 calendar has also six color photos, all taken by George Hill.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:38 pm

The fool wrote:I have similar calendars for 1975 and 1977. The ´75 calendar has six photos from 1974, all in color, but no info whatsoever about the photos. The ´77 calendar has also six color photos, all taken by George Hill.
Would those '75 calendar photos be of interest to post here? Or are they some familiar ones? :wink:

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Scott Hayward wrote: Would those '75 calendar photos be of interest to post here? Or are they some familiar ones? :wink:

I think I have already posted all of them years ago. But here they are again, because I have not seen these photos published anywhere else. (These are, of course, off topic, but you asked for them. :wink: )

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:57 pm

And the rest...

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:17 pm

The fool wrote:I think I have already posted all of them years ago. But here they are again, because I have not seen these photos published anywhere else. (These are, of course, off topic, but you asked for them. :wink: )

Thanks! :smt023 I'm guessing these are all from Tahoe or Vegas, except for the first one in second post, which to me looks like San Bernardino May 13...?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
noone wrote:I am pretty sure this photo is from February 1973 Las Vegas. In Lake Tahoe the tape on the microphone is very dark or black. In Las Vegas August & September Elvis only used the seven new suits, according to “Elvis news service weekly”. The tape on the microphone in Aug. & Sept. was white only on the first two songs, then he changed to the one with blue tape. The missing stone was fixed probably during the year as it is not missing in 1974 or today, sadly I don`t think I have information on exactly when the suit was fixed.

Elvis did give 11 shows between January 26 and 31, 1973 -- why not one of them?

I am not sure but to me the microphone looks a little rounder in the foam in the Ed Bonja photos from the first days of the season. So that`s why I think this is later in the season….

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:52 am

Scott Hayward wrote:
The fool wrote:I think I have already posted all of them years ago. But here they are again, because I have not seen these photos published anywhere else. (These are, of course, off topic, but you asked for them. :wink: )

Thanks! :smt023 I'm guessing these are all from Tahoe or Vegas, except for the first one in second post, which to me looks like San Bernardino May 13...?

Nr 1, 2, 3, 5 are all from Lake Tahoe, May 1974
Nr 4 is from San bernardino.
Nr 6 is from Las Vegas, Aug/Sep 1974

Sincerely
Brian

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:04 pm

Can anyone date these for me? :wink: They look like Jan-Feb 1973 to me...?
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:42 am

That appears to be Scheff on bass in each, so if 1973, it's the Jan-Feb season.

And the initial photo we have decided was from same, yes?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:43 am

One thing's for sure....it's post-Aloha.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:01 am

Thank you all guys,

This is a great topic!

Ed