Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New Gravel Road CD released

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:41 am

FYI the new Gravel Road Cd's are now available.

cd_gravel_bicentennial76.jpg

Finally Out and In Stock Now!!!

Hampton on Tour & Bicentennial '76

Gravel road Music doesn’t want to end the year without bringing you one really great release. Two Hampton concerts in stunning sound. The “Bicentennial ’76” will raise a few questions for the critics as Elvis sounds way better now with a mastering job done properly… The second disc is a great re-mastering of the famous Hampton ’72 concert, which blows all previous releases of this show out of the water – Great sound, fantastic dynamics and Elvis in amazing voice. A real treat. We gratefully used original transfers from these concerts. Now you can hear many details and nuances not heard previously, and both recordings sounds more vibrant and spatial than before.

Star-Spangled Spectacular Bicentennial’76
This Special limited 2 CD set edition includes two spectacular Hampton concerts.

The first disc contains the legendary 1976 Hampton Bicentennial concert!

The second disc contains the famous 1972 Hampton On Tour Concert!

It comes in a wonderful deluxe digi-pack with booklet, extensive liner notes & photos.

You may have heard this before, but never in this quality.

August 1- 1976 (2:30 pm). Hampton VA. Hampton Coliseum

It was a special year for America. The Bicentennial Year, the two-hundredth anniversary of this great nation. Any American with patriotism wanted to show it in some way. Elvis wanted to spread a positive message about

this country throughout this special year, and so he decided to add ‘America The Beautiful’ to his set list.

The mastering ..
As Forest George writes in his assessment of this show: There is nothing more exciting to me than finding a (re-mastered) soundboard of an Elvis Presley concert. Audience recordings are fine, but sometimes you just want to hear the entire band and Elvis rock & roll’

This is so true, but… the concert has never been restored and re-mastered. UNTIL NOW!

August 1- 1976 (2:30 pm). Hampton VA. Hampton Coliseum

2001 Theme / C. C. Rider / I Got A Woman - Amen / Love Me / If You Love Me / You Gave Me A Mountain / All Shook Up / Teddy Bear - Don’t Be Cruel / And I Love You So / Jailhouse Rock / Fever / America The Beautiful / Return To Sender / Band Introductions / Early Morning Rain ( featuring John Wilkinson ) / What’d I Say ( featuring James Burton ) / Johnny B Goode ( featuring James Burton ) / Drum Solo ( featuring Ronnie Tutt ) / Battle Of New Orleans ( featuring Jerry Scheff ) / Piano Solo ( featuring Tony Brown ) / Electric Piano Solo ( featuring David Briggs ) / Love Letters / School Day / Hurt (+ reprise) / Hound Dog - Good Golly Miss Molly (excerpt) / Funny How Time Slips Away / Cant Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp. April 9 - 1 1972 (8:30 pm). Hampton VA. Hampton Coliseum We have added a very special extra concert to this Star-Spangled Spectacular Bicentennial ‘76 release: Elvis’ remarkable Hampton Roads concert as filmed for “Elvis On Tour” (April 1972). You may have heard this before, but never in this quality. The results are amazing: One of Elvis’ finest shows ever, and now with an ooommpphh that almost places you in the center of all the action. Thanks to the audio improvements, you can hear many details and nuances not heard previously, and the recording now sounds more dynamic and spatial than before.

April 9, 1972 (8:30 pm). Hampton VA. Hampton Coliseum

Also Sprach Zarathustra /. C. C. Rider /. Until It's Time For You To Go /. Polk Salad Annie /. Love Me /. All Shook Up / Teddy Bear (with 2 false starts)/Don't Be Cruel / Are You Lonesome Tonight? /. I Can't Stop Loving You / Hound Dog / Bridge Over Troubled Water / Suspicious Minds / For The Good Times / Band Introductions / An American Trilogy / Love Me Tender / A Big Hunk Of Love / How Great Thou Art / Sweet Sweet Spirit (The Stamps) / Lawdy Miss Clawdy / Can’t Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp/Announcements

norrie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: New Gravel Road CD released

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:51 am

No idea but it's something we are used to by now in the Elvis world from a variety of import labels and FTD.

norrie

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:20 am

The second disc is a great re-mastering of the famous Hampton ’72 concert, which blows all previous releases of this show out of the water – Great sound, fantastic dynamics and Elvis in amazing voice. A real treat. We gratefully used original transfers from these concerts. Now you can hear many details and nuances not heard previously, and both recordings sounds more vibrant and spatial than before.

Common now... :roll:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 am

elvis-fan wrote:
The second disc is a great re-mastering of the famous Hampton ’72 concert, which blows all previous releases of this show out of the water – Great sound, fantastic dynamics and Elvis in amazing voice. A real treat. We gratefully used original transfers from these concerts. Now you can hear many details and nuances not heard previously, and both recordings sounds more vibrant and spatial than before.

Common now... :roll:

We'll find out soon enough,Rob will tell us!

I don't plan to buy this but if the reviews come in and tell us the sound is a major upgrade then I may well change my mind.

norrie

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 am

Hey Rob you will provide us with your perspective on this and other CD's. I'm sure you know we appreciate and hang on to your every word, my Friend 8)

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:52 am

Robt,man your avatar makes me hungry.

norrie

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 am

No review could make me buy this worthless release.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:35 am

stevelecher wrote:No review could make me buy this worthless release.

You're probably right.I'm sure FTD will get round to Hampton eventually.

norrie

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 am

stevelecher wrote:No review could make me buy this worthless release.

Are the discs blank?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 am

looks like Robt likes a 'good English breakfast'!~....which looks much more interesting than hearing this release is out!~ :?

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:13 am

YDKM wrote:looks like Robt likes a 'good English breakfast'!~....which looks much more interesting than hearing this release is out!~ :?

Congratulations on noticing. Most of my avatars the last two weeks have been themed on the most essential meal of the day.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 am

YDKM wrote:looks like Robt likes a 'good English breakfast'!~....which looks much more interesting than hearing this release is out!~ :?

I heard Return to Sender on this very messageboard nearly 2 months ago and found that it was running a tad fast. Otherwise the sound is improved.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm

norrie wrote:We'll find out soon enough,Rob will tell us!

You guys are on your own on this one. I stated awhile back that I had no interest in this. The Fort Baxter and Triangle releases will do. Now, if the '72 show featured the missing songs, it would be a different story.

Sorry, gang, this time we will have to wait for Tony to tell us how it is.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm

I don’t really understand the venom that’s aimed at this release. I got this one on the strength of past Gravel Road releases that I enjoyed, like the Prodigy one.

The ’76 show show is what it is. A good audio upgrade for those that need it, neither better nor worse than other recent bootleg re-releases with audio upgrades. The show makes for a slightly better listen now, and Elvis’ voice sounds a bit better somehow. The liner notes explain that many soundboards give the wrong impression on how Elvis actually sounded live in concert, and that they tried to correct it. Mind you, it still doesn’t make him sound like the 1969 Elvis! :wink: Performance wise Elvis seems to be in a good mood, his rapport with the audience is good, and obviously ‘Return To Sender’ is quite a rarity. FECC regulars will be surprised to hear that there’s name-checks for John and Matthew right before ‘Johnny B. Goode’!

The other Hampton Roads show is described as a ‘bonus’, which I don’t really understand, because this show is pure gold. I don’t have the Triangle version, so I am very happy with this. Elvis was on fire during the April ’72 tour, and vocally this may well be the best show of that tour. Repertoire-wise this also appears to be the most interesting show of the tour. No, it’s not complete, but I wonder whether we will ever get the full concert by Sony or by anyone else. I’ve been reliably informed that they don’t have the complete show in their vaults, that they have it in 16-track from ‘Teddy Bear’ / ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ onwards, the tracks before that on another tape in 8-track, and one song not at all… Anybody that can confirm this info? It would certainly be a great pity if we would never get this great concert in its entirety.

One complaint though: the lettering on the packaging is a bit small and hard to read. But then again, ElvisNews once wrote that the lettering in my first book is too big, so perhaps I just need a new pair of glasses! :wink:
Last edited by Rock Legend on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 pm

"the legendary 1976 Hampton Bicentennial concert"??

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I don’t really understand the venom that’s aimed at this release. The Hampton Roads show is described as a ‘bonus’, which I don’t really understand, because this show is pure gold. I don’t have the Triangle version, so I am very happy with this. Elvis was on fire during the April ’72 tour, and vocally this may well be the best show of that tour.

If I did not have the Triangle release, I would be getting this as well.

No venom here. There is just nothing wrong with the releases I already have.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 pm

For me, the fact that the '76 show features Elvis in "sick" voice (like never before up until that point, however he didn't sound out-of-it mentally), no matter what they did to re-work the sound, and the fact that the '72 still isn't more complete than the previous releases, is enough reason to pass this one up.

The only redeeming song from the '76 show was Return to Sender, which is average at best, and we already got that from FTD. The rest of the show is bad, because of Elvis' voice.

I guess for collectors that don't have these shows in another form, this is another one to add, for the fabulous but incomplete '72 show.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 pm

elvis1977br wrote:"the legendary 1976 Hampton Bicentennial concert"??

Must be Legendary bad.........

Anyway I read somewere that next Grave Road release was a new 2cd set with unreleased soundboard and a new boot recording from february 73?
Cant find the damn link

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Still don't understand why the Hampton '72 performances of I Got A Woman/Amen and You Gave Me A Mountain from "Elvis On Tour" couldn't have been dropped in - even if only as bonus tracks, if the sound is too dissimilar with the [incomplete] source used.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Rock Legend wrote:I don’t really understand the venom that’s aimed at this release. I got this one on the strength of past Gravel Road releases that I enjoyed, like the Prodigy one.

The ’76 show show is what it is. A good audio upgrade for those that need it, neither better nor worse than other recent bootleg re-releases with audio upgrades. The show makes for a slightly better listen now, and Elvis’ voice sounds a bit better somehow. The liner notes explain that many soundboards give the wrong impression on how Elvis actually sounded live in concert, and that they tried to correct it. Mind you, it still doesn’t make him sound like the 1969 Elvis! :wink: Performance wise Elvis seems to be in a good mood, his rapport with the audience is good, and obviously ‘Return To Sender’ is quite a rarity. FECC regulars will be surprised to hear that there’s name-checks for John and Matthew right before ‘Johnny B. Goode’!

The Hampton Roads show is described as a ‘bonus’, which I don’t really understand, because this show is pure gold. I don’t have the Triangle version, so I am very happy with this. Elvis was on fire during the April ’72 tour, and vocally this may well be the best show of that tour. Repertoire-wise this also appears to be the most interesting show of the tour. No, it’s not complete, but I wonder whether we will ever get the full concert by Sony or by anyone else. I’ve been reliably informed that they don’t have the complete show in their vaults, that they have it in 16-track from ‘Teddy Bear’ / ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ onwards, the tracks before that on another tape in 8-track, and one song not at all… Anybody that can confirm this info? It would certainly be a great pity if we would never get this great concert in its entirety.

One complaint though: the lettering on the packaging is a bit small and hard to read. But then again, ElvisNews once wrote that the lettering in my first book is too big, so perhaps I just need a new pair of glasses! :wink:

I am holding it in my hands now.. it is really a nice package....one little thing is a bit annoying...when you open the digipak you can hardly read what is written inside above the picture on the left and backside below the track listing......the 20-page booklet gives infos about the song "America" with lyrics...the bicentennial year in common and of course a review of the show..with all circumstances...then we get detailled infos about the mastering and efforts which were made to achieve best sound..in addition we get infos about the bonus concert from 1972..the shows are well-known and Rock Legend summed it up perfectly..therefore the full quote..the sound is really fine ..I didn`t have the 1976 concert on silver disc before..now I have it in modern layout and improved sound..I am happy with it.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 am

KingElvis wrote:
elvis1977br wrote:"the legendary 1976 Hampton Bicentennial concert"??

Must be Legendary bad.........

Anyway I read somewere that next Grave Road release was a new 2cd set with unreleased soundboard and a new boot recording from february 73?
Cant find the damn link

:o A "Grave" release is about as a appropriate a description one could say about the re-release of Hampton Roads 1976 concert. Stupid move, Gravel Road.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 pm

I'd rather do THIS
rob.jpg

than buy this cd. One is a dreadful concert which we already have and never listen to. The other is a great concert that we already have in a fantastic package and that FTD WILL release at some point in it's entirety.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:10 pm

When you don't have it and are a soundboard collector or even completist, you can add this one. But I don't understand why GRM decided to work on the sound of this concert, while there are others, that are more rare to find nowadays on silver disc, that offer a better show, or at least Elvis in better voice, like some of the June '75 tour concerts or one of the few available Vegas '71 ones, like Snowbird. I do understand the "theme" of Hampton Roads on this one, but what a contrast in four years time. Probably the most convincing single release up til now to show his incredible decline.

Still, had this release offered a more complete Hampton Roads '72, I would buy it, FTD or not (would buy the FTD too).

Ciscoking wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:I don’t really understand the venom that’s aimed at this release. I got this one on the strength of past Gravel Road releases that I enjoyed, like the Prodigy one.

The Hampton Roads show is described as a ‘bonus’, which I don’t really understand, because this show is pure gold. I don’t have the Triangle version, so I am very happy with this. Elvis was on fire during the April ’72 tour, and vocally this may well be the best show of that tour. Repertoire-wise this also appears to be the most interesting show of the tour. No, it’s not complete, but I wonder whether we will ever get the full concert by Sony or by anyone else. I’ve been reliably informed that they don’t have the complete show in their vaults, that they have it in 16-track from ‘Teddy Bear’ / ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ onwards, the tracks before that on another tape in 8-track, and one song not at all… Anybody that can confirm this info? It would certainly be a great pity if we would never get this great concert in its entirety.

I am holding it in my hands now.. it is really a nice package....one little thing is a bit annoying...when you open the digipak you can hardly read what is written inside above the picture on the left and backside below the track listing......the 20-page booklet gives infos about the song "America" with lyrics...the bicentennial year in common and of course a review of the show..with all circumstances...then we get detailled infos about the mastering and efforts which were made to achieve best sound..in addition we get infos about the bonus concert from 1972..the shows are well-known and Rock Legend summed it up perfectly..therefore the full quote..the sound is really fine ..I didn`t have the 1976 concert on silver disc before..now I have it in modern layout and improved sound..I am happy with it.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Waste of money.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Tony.. wrote:Waste of money.

I guess in Tony speak that's a ringing endorsement. :wink: