Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 2 new ftd books

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Tony's unparalleled positively and peerless honesty is an inspiration to us all.

And he loves all kinds of music.

He also has a major fetish for all kinds of ETA's.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:09 am

Wow, these two releases look great to me. I think the power in future releases like this will be the power of combination - dedicated fans with much knowledge joining the FTD team.

Both pictures on the front of the books are outstanding. :shock:

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:37 pm

What would the production run size be of these two FTD book/CD sets?

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Tony's unparalleled positively and peerless honesty is an inspiration to us all.

And he loves all kinds of music.

He also has a major fetish for all kinds of ETA's.

..only dead ones! :smt002

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Shouldn't take 4 of "We're Gonna Move" from the 50's box be included on "The Best Of British"? It seems to me that this book / CD seems like a way to present all the HMV releases and at the same time also present the masters and outtakes from "Love Me Tender."

I don't quite understand the purpose of including some of the songwriters' demos, especially the Glenn Reeves "Heartbreak Hotel" demo that already was included on the FTD book / CD combo "Writing For A King." Given that many of the outtakes from the second album are missing, and all of the masters from the second album I believe are on the two discs, wouldn't it be better to include the outtakes from "Old Shep" and "Rip It Up." By adding the take 4 of "We're Gonna Move" and the outtakes of "Old Shep" and "Rip It Up," FTD would essentially be eliminating the need to put together FTD releases of the second album and the "Love Me Tender" extended play. That is unless more tapes can be found, but even then, FTD could revisit the extended play and the album either individually or combined when more tapes surface.

Daryl

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:24 pm

Daryl wrote:Shouldn't take 4 of "We're Gonna Move" from the 50's box be included on "The Best Of British"? It seems to me that this book / CD seems like a way to present all the HMV releases and at the same time also present the masters and outtakes from "Love Me Tender."

I don't quite understand the purpose of including some of the songwriters' demos, especially the Glenn Reeves "Heartbreak Hotel" demo that already was included on the FTD book / CD combo "Writing For A King." Given that many of the outtakes from the second album are missing, and all of the masters from the second album I believe are on the two discs, wouldn't it be better to include the outtakes from "Old Shep" and "Rip It Up." By adding the take 4 of "We're Gonna Move" and the outtakes of "Old Shep" and "Rip It Up," FTD would essentially be eliminating the need to put together FTD releases of the second album and the "Love Me Tender" extended play. That is unless more tapes can be found, but even then, FTD could revisit the extended play and the album either individually or combined when more tapes surface.

Daryl

I would imagine that, eventually, FTD will do a "Love me tender" and an "Elvis" (2nd album) version, therefore the material will be bought again by collectors / fans. And I expect the "Love me tender" FTD will include one or two 'new' out-takes on it.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Tony.. wrote:
I would imagine that, eventually, FTD will do a "Love me tender" and an "Elvis" (2nd album) version, therefore the material will be bought again by collectors / fans. And I expect the "Love me tender" FTD will include one or two 'new' out-takes on it.

Agreed. The second album has to have the FTD treatment at some point. As to how many times one buys the masters in the interim...personal choice. I like the idea of having a document of Elvis' UK HMV releases. It's always interesting to have a record of how the music was originally released, but the recent book on Elvis' worldwide HMV releases could also serve this purpose, so I would like to know a little more about this book before I make a decision on the FTD.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:15 pm

I think the "Summer of '61" book will be nice to have. I will skip the HMV book.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:I think the "Summer of '61" book will be nice to have. I will skip the HMV book.

yes it does come across and the better of the two`! :o

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:38 am

I'll probably get the HMV book! It's how i first got into listening and collecting Elvis, Back in the early 70s many vintage albums were deleated so finding HMV records was the only way of finding some early tracks.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:37 am

Hi everyone

I am sorry to say, that for clearance and various other reasons, there won't now be a DVD included with the Summer of '61 book/CD.

With thanks
Davide

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 am

davide wrote:Hi everyone

I am sorry to say, that for clearance and various other reasons, there won't now be a DVD included with the Summer of '61 book/CD.

With thanks
Davide

:shock: :shock: :shock: why?? was it MGM ??

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:55 am

You mean that:
1. there'll be no screen test nor any video
or
2. cd will be made the same way as The Beatles cd's iin 2009 that had original album + a short video* playable only on computer. (no separate DVD with screen test, everything on 1 cd)

*video was a quick-time or something like that, there was also installation file for the QT

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 am

Steamstan wrote:You mean that:
or
2. cd will be made the same way as The Beatles cd's iin 2009 that had original album + a short video playable only on computer. (no separate DVD with screen test, everything on 1 cd)

There won't be any video content, sorry about that.

David

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:14 am

davide wrote:
or
2. cd will be made the same way as The Beatles cd's iin 2009 that had original album + a short video playable only on computer. (no separate DVD with screen test, everything on 1 cd)

David

Can you tell us something about the CD? More than what little we know?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:16 am

No dvd = no chance i goin to buy summer of '61. for 60$ a book + cd + something unreleased (dvd) is ok but a book + cd is a no goer

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:28 am

IF it's MGM, and i highly think it is, They should get their *sses kicked, @#$@%^&*

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 am

L Ray wrote:
davide wrote:
or

David

Can you tell us something about the CD? More than what little we know?

Ernst will release details regarding the CD, once the final track listing has been finalised.

Thanks
David

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:30 am

Johnny2523 wrote:No dvd = no chance i goin to buy summer of '61. for 60$ a book + cd + something unreleased (dvd) is ok but a book + cd is a no goer

The book is the main event.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:44 am

Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:No dvd = no chance i goin to buy summer of '61. for 60$ a book + cd + something unreleased (dvd) is ok but a book + cd is a no goer

Absolutely Matthew,the CD as it is in most of these projects is a bonus,something relevant to listen to while reading the book.

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:48 am

Matthew wrote:

YEah, that's what they said about "A boy from tupelo".

Can you image that release without the 3 cd's?

If it is $60 I may have to pass, simply because I can't afford it.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:58 am

The CD's in A Boy From Tupelo did turn out to more than just a bonus but the book was still the major reason to purchase it.
A Boy From Tupelo was a bit of a one off anyway,an FTD release that wasn't really an FTD release.

norrie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:04 am

norrie wrote:was a bit of a one off anyway,an FTD release that wasn't really an FTD release.

HITS OF THE 70`s :lol:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:07 am

sweetangeline wrote:
norrie wrote:was a bit of a one off anyway,an FTD release that wasn't really an FTD release.

HITS OF THE 70`s :lol:

OK,I'll give you that one :lol:

norrie (not normally a smilie type of guy)

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 am

norrie wrote:The CD's in A Boy From Tupelo did turn out to more than just a bonus but the book was still the major reason to purchase it.

Correct.

Most are aware Ernst did not spend over ten years and a lot of personal time and expense on the CDs included with A Boy From Tupelo.