Off Topic Messages

Johnny Cash postage stamp

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am

Johnny Cash will be on U.S. postage stamps later this year - a well deserved and long overdue honor.

See stamp and story here:
http://todayentertainment.today.com/_ne ... rvice?lite

tdy-130129-cash-stamp-1_photoblog500.jpg

The stamp looks very cool and iconic.

I wish Elvis' stamp would've been more like this - an actual iconic picture rather than an artists cartoonish rendering.

RKS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Johnny Cash postage stamp

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Johnny Cash will be on U.S. postage stamps later this year - a well deserved and long overdue honor.
See stamp and story here:
http://todayentertainment.today.com/_ne ... rvice?lite

tdy-130129-cash-stamp-1_photoblog500.jpg

The stamp looks very cool and iconic.
I wish Elvis' stamp would've been more like this - an actual iconic picture rather than an artists cartoonish rendering.

I'll probably get a bunch of those stamps when they come out, RKS, but I think they could've chosen a better pic of Johnny to use.

September 12, 2013 will mark 10 years since his passing. It's very hard to believe that much time has flown by! :facep:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 am

Blue River,

It is hard to believe it's been 10 years since Johnny's passing.

It's also been 10 years since June's passing - May 15, 2003. They died 4 months apart.

The words to this song are hauntingly so prophetic:
phpBB [video]

It's been said that Johnny died of a broken heart.

I see John Carter (their son) around every once in a while - once at Walmart.

RKS

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 am

I never thought i'd ever say this but that is one cool stamp!

norrie

oh sh*t I did say that once before.I was talking about JD of course.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:I see John Carter (their son) around every once in a while - once at Walmart.

About 7 or 8 years ago in the northern section of Nashville I saw Ray Walker in a WalMart checkout line (ahead of me while I was in a different checkout line).
By the time I finished with my purchase I rushed out to the parking lot to see if I could spot him, but he was gone.
I was very disappointed because I really wanted to meet him and say hello.

norrie wrote:I never thought i'd ever say this but that is one cool stamp!
... oh sh*t I did say that once before.I was talking about JD of course.

:facep: :lol:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Speaking of Johnny, I saw him and Conway Twitty 25 years ago tonight at the Louisville Gardens. I saw Conway several times, but it was the 2nd and last time that I saw the Man In Black.....and he did wear black (Conway wore red).

Both put on outstanding shows.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Rob wrote:Speaking of Johnny, I saw him and Conway Twitty 25 years ago tonight at the Louisville Gardens. I saw Conway several times, but it was the 2nd and last time that I saw the Man In Black.....and he did wear black (Conway wore red).

Cool.Unfortunatley I didn't get to see Johnny Cash live.After Elvis if I could choose any other performer to see in concert that I haven't seen before it would be Johnny.

norrie

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 am

Rob wrote:
Speaking of Johnny, I saw him and Conway Twitty 25 years ago tonight at the Louisville Gardens. I saw Conway several times, but it was the 2nd and last time that I saw the Man In Black.....and he did wear black (Conway wore red).

I never saw Conway Twitty perform live. I did see Johnny Cash perform live at Opryland (before it closed) in the mid 90's.

This year (June 5) marks the 20 year anniversary of Conway Twitty's passing.

RKS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 am

Nice stamp for the Man In Black

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 am

Blue River wrote:- once at Walmart. About 7 or 8 years ago in the northern section of Nashville I saw Ray Walker in a WalMart checkout line (ahead of me while I was in a different checkout line).
By the time I finished with my purchase I rushed out to the parking lot to see if I could spot him, but he was gone.

So spending money at Wal-Mart was more important? :wtf:

Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:51 am

Blue River wrote:
- once at Walmart. About 7 or 8 years ago in the northern section of Nashville I saw Ray Walker in a WalMart checkout line (ahead of me while I was in a different checkout line).

So spending money at Wal-Mart was more important?

How did you get that?

RKS

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 am

I'm all for it and it's nice to see. Sadly, this has much less impact in 2013, as so many younger folks are now paying bills on -line and not buying stamps much at all. Still, being a nostalgic sort, I still like the old U.S. mail and and the all too-rare, virtually exttinct actual personal letter instead of bills and magazines - while they last.

RKS: the final shot chosen of Elvis was less of a problem to me then the circus-like ealry '90s national "voting" of "young" (read: 'slim") Elvis vs. "old" / "Vegas" Elvis - you know, the "fat Elvis." This is something Priscilla and EPE walked right into, and annoyingly creating yet more fodder for late-night comics like Jay Leno (apparently an "Elvis fan") to wax over Elvis' latter day appearance and sad early passing. It was enough to make the relatively ignored '50s Elvis persona prevail (to many a good thing), but boy what a lot of snickering accompanied the "election."

Better to have just chosen a brilliant shot like this one of Johnny Cash (great shot, I would argue) and leave it at that. I have been heartened that Elvis is better remembered in Europe and the world but saddened that here in the U.S. it's a shorthand on modern politics of red states, blue states, the counter-culture, class snobbery and all sorts of other ugliness. (As it turns out, Cash today has a "cache" if you will higher than Elvis and I think in part this is because folks can relate to him more, rather than the God-like beautiful ("artificial"?) Elvis with the ignoble end, to say nothing of what folks still view as "wasteland" of too much of his career, which ignores his unusually- sustained brilliance once you distill his total career.

Rob: you're a lucky man to have seen the Man in Black as well as Conway Twitty. Did you ever get to see other great country legends? I would have liked to (and don't have much time left in some cases) to have seen the likes of Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Charlie Rich, Ray Price, George Jones and Merle Haggard, and the like.

I grew up hearing a lot of them on WHN in New York and this city-born boy with age appreciates them all the more, especially compared to what's come down the pike since.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Rob: you're a lucky man to have seen the Man in Black as well as Conway Twitty. Did you ever get to see other great country legends? I would have liked to (and don't have much time left in some cases) to have seen the likes of Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Charlie Rich, Ray Price, George Jones and Merle Haggard, and the like.

I have seen more country concerts than I can recall at the moment. I saw Conway over 50 times. I saw George Jones many times as well as Merle Haggard, The Statler Brothers, Tammy Wynette, Ronnie Milsap, Jerry Reed, Bobby Bare, Randy Travis, Vern Gosdin, T.G. Sheppard, Bill Anderson..........

Some I booked myself a few years back -- but that's another story.

Someday, I will write about my one-on-one meeting with ol' Conway.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 am

I like the stamp i will order a sheet