Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Well, she was famous enough as the movie came to grab $3 million, when at the time $1,5 was the rule.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:48 pm

frus75 wrote:Well, she was famous enough as the movie came to grab $3 million, when at the time $1,5 was the rule.


Petula Clark was the first choice for the female lead but she turned it down. Probably a good thing she did turn it down, I don't believe the film would have done as well at the box office.

Image

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:19 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
frus75 wrote:Well, she was famous enough as the movie came to grab $3 million, when at the time $1,5 was the rule.


Petula Clark was the first choice for the female lead but she turned it down. Probably a good thing she did turn it down, I don't believe the film would have done as well at the box office.

Image


Th co-star could say no to a movie, but Elvis couldn't. Go figure!

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
frus75 wrote:Well, she was famous enough as the movie came to grab $3 million, when at the time $1,5 was the rule.


Petula Clark was the first choice for the female lead but she turned it down. Probably a good thing she did turn it down, I don't believe the film would have done as well at the box office.

Th co-star could say no to a movie, but Elvis couldn't. Go figure!


How about the co-star saying yes to a movie, but Elvis couldn't make it happen. Recall a clip with Esposito on Larry King talking about Elvis' co-stars... Joe said soon after his return to live performing in '69, Elvis asked Ann Margret if she would be interested in doing another film together and of course she said, yes. Larry said that would have been nice seeing them together again. Joe didn't say if Elvis ever mentioned to the Colonel wanting to do another film with her, but I'm sure Elvis didn't say anything to Priscilla about it.

Image

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:19 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
frus75 wrote:Well, she was famous enough as the movie came to grab $3 million, when at the time $1,5 was the rule.


Petula Clark was the first choice for the female lead but she turned it down. Probably a good thing she did turn it down, I don't believe the film would have done as well at the box office.

Th co-star could say no to a movie, but Elvis couldn't. Go figure!


How about the co-star saying yes to a movie, but Elvis couldn't make it happen. Recall a clip with Esposito on Larry King talking about Elvis' co-stars... Joe said soon after his return to live performing in '69, Elvis asked Ann Margret if she would be interested in doing another film together and of course she said, yes. Larry said that would have been nice seeing them together again. Joe didn't say if Elvis ever mentioned to the Colonel wanting to do another film with her, but I'm sure Elvis didn't say anything to Priscilla about it.

Image



That would have been interesting as A-M's movie career really took off in the early 70's with some fine dramatic roles. Wonder if Elvis was thinking musical or drama?

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm

I'm cool with Speedway ... it's cutesy, a little clever (a little!), Elvis is awake, there are some cool sets, and the jacket rules (I bought a Lansky one). Nancy did a cool job, and was somewhat hot, albeit in a hair-and-makeup way. The title track and "Let Yourself Go" are good for a soundtrack. Nancy's song is okay but her blue pants aren't, and so is "Your Time Hasn't Come Yet, Baby."

The race car scenes are beyond by boredom threshold.

I bought that photo book that came out on this one - it's well done!

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Speedway was a poor man's Viva Las Vegas. By that I mean, not nearly as good. The racing thing was tired by now. Elvis was looking better than he did in his last few movies, but the dialog and story was corny and the soundtrack was poor except for Let Yourself Go. Apparently the public thought so also. it was his worst selling album up to that time. Its the kind of movie that has a following more than say Clambake , because of its campy nature and Nancy Sinatra.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 pm

r&b wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Th co-star could say no to a movie, but Elvis couldn't. Go figure!


How about the co-star saying yes to a movie, but Elvis couldn't make it happen. Recall a clip with Esposito on Larry King talking about Elvis' co-stars... Joe said soon after his return to live performing in '69, Elvis asked Ann Margret if she would be interested in doing another film together and of course she said, yes. Larry said that would have been nice seeing them together again. Joe didn't say if Elvis ever mentioned to the Colonel wanting to do another film with her, but I'm sure Elvis didn't say anything to Priscilla about it.


That would have been interesting as A-M's movie career really took off in the early 70's with some fine dramatic roles. Wonder if Elvis was thinking musical or drama?


I'd say drama. Elvis would have wanted something more challenging than what Hollywood’s image thought of him. Early 70's would have been the right time and A-M would have been an excellent choice. Unfortunately, it never came to pass.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:30 pm

isn´t it all a matter of personal taste if one is looking attractive or not? i´d say - and i can only speak for myself - that nancy looked great back then and lot "60´s" which i personally like very much.

as for the movie for me there is not a big difference to viva las vegas. sorry, both had so extremely boring stories to bring on and walk through, everytime i watch one of these movies i have a hard time not to fall asleep.

ann margret and nancy sinatra are so much different in every way so it is hard to compare them.

for me both were great looking and most likely also nice girls back then.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:51 pm

Nancy Sinatra got a record deal and a chance to be in films because of her famous father.

However she was able to step out of his shadow because her song ''These boots were made for Walking'' became a #1 hit in 1966.

Nancy Sinatra has her own fanbase because of that song and a couple of the follow up songs.

Nancy never was considered a sex symbol or a bombshell like Ann Margret, Ursula Andress or Raquel Welch were.

The reason she was in Speedway was because it was thought that her popularity would really help the box office but by the time the movie was released her career had stalled.

she still probably did help the film somewhat but maybe not as much as the studio had originally hoped.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Change of Clambake wrote:I'm cool with Speedway ... it's cutesy, a little clever (a little!), Elvis is awake, there are some cool sets, and the jacket rules (I bought a Lansky one). Nancy did a cool job, and was somewhat hot, albeit in a hair-and-makeup way. The title track and "Let Yourself Go" are good for a soundtrack. Nancy's song is okay but her blue pants aren't, and so is "Your Time Hasn't Come Yet, Baby."

The race car scenes are beyond by boredom threshold.

The wild animal noises and the female reaction to them are a little hard to stomach.

But I love Nancy.

Image

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Here is Nancy with Lee Hazelwood and their duet "Jackson".
Though not the classic that Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash would have, it's still fun:


Hey, I enjoyed that, thanks !

And a surprise appearance of Frank Sinatra Jnr at the end !

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 pm

I have to say I have a soft spot for Speedway, even though the racing scenes are tiresome. But there is a nice line in slightly wacky comedy, and some chemistry between Presley and Sinatra. Musically speaking it's not good, of course, although Let Yourself Go is fine, and He's Your Uncle is interesting for non-musical reasons.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:16 am

eligain wrote:I remember in one of the books it said that she tried to seduce Elvis by jumping out of a closet naked and surprising him during the filming of Speedway.


Which book makes this claim? And who made it?

The established story of their time on "Speedway" doesn't include this "incident."

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 am

brian wrote:Nancy Sinatra got a record deal and a chance to be in films because of her famous father.

However she was able to step out of his shadow because her song ''These boots were made for Walking'' became a #1 hit in 1966.


Written and produced by Lee Hazelwood, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" hit Billboard US Pop #1 on February 26, 1966, and did well in countries all over the world. It became Nancy's signature hit.

It was cut at Western Recorders in November 1965, just a few months after her divorce from Sands was finalized. Almost all the musicians on the session would work with Elvis in 1968 as part of the NBC TV Special.


phpBB [video]

Nancy Sinatra, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (Reprise 0432, January 22, 1966)
Billboard US Pop #1, February 26, 1966
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/These_Boots_Are_Made_for_Walkin'

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:Nancy Sinatra got a record deal and a chance to be in films because of her famous father.

However she was able to step out of his shadow because her song ''These boots were made for Walking'' became a #1 hit in 1966.


Written and produced by Lee Hazelwood, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" hit Billboard US Pop #1 on February 26, 1966, and did well in countries all over the world. It became Nancy's signature hit.

It was cut at Western Recorders in November 1965, just a few months after her divorce from Sands was finalized. Almost all the musicians on the session would work with Elvis in 1968 as part of the NBC TV Special.


phpBB [video]

Nancy Sinatra, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (Reprise 0432, January 22, 1966)
Billboard US Pop #1, February 26, 1966
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/These_Boots_Are_Made_for_Walkin'


Nancy was getting better material to cut than Elvis was in 1966-67. Hazelwood was a great songwriter.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 am

She also sang THIS on TV, but I don't think she recorded it in a studio.

phpBB [video]

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:13 am

And «These Boots» nearly didn't happen. Nancy had released several singles that failed miserably and was about to get dropped by her label. «So Long Babe» (released in the Fall in 1965) was to be the final attempt for some chart success, and lo and behold, the single made it to #86, giving Nancy another lease on life in the business. Her next release would be «These Boots» and the rest, as they say, is history.

Nancy and Lee's collaboration seemed like a match made in heaven, and their duet on «Some Velvet Morning» remains one of my all-time favorites.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:43 am

I kinda like her in speedway & i kinda like the movie too !!!

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:Nancy Sinatra got a record deal and a chance to be in films because of her famous father.

However she was able to step out of his shadow because her song ''These boots were made for Walking'' became a #1 hit in 1966.


Written and produced by Lee Hazelwood, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'" hit Billboard US Pop #1 on February 26, 1966, and did well in countries all over the world. It became Nancy's signature hit.

It was cut at Western Recorders in November 1965, just a few months after her divorce from Sands was finalized. Almost all the musicians on the session would work with Elvis in 1968 as part of the NBC TV Special.


phpBB [video]

Nancy Sinatra, "These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (Reprise 0432, January 22, 1966)
Billboard US Pop #1, February 26, 1966
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/These_Boots_Are_Made_for_Walkin'


After watching this video, I admit that there is definitely something really sexy going on there. Even that little goofy tap dance like thing in the end....

The 60s must have been something else. Such a drastic change from the 50s.

As far as the movie goes, it's not that bad. I actually like Clambake better. The guy having 5 little girls all roughly the same age bothers me for some odd reason.

These type of movies are more or less comedies and I always thought Elvis brought charm to each film, including the ones that really sucked.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Tony.. wrote:She also sang THIS on TV, but I don't think she recorded it in a studio.

phpBB [video]




Thanks for posting that ... very cool!

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
frus75 wrote:Well, she was famous enough as the movie came to grab $3 million, when at the time $1,5 was the rule.


Petula Clark was the first choice for the female lead but she turned it down. Probably a good thing she did turn it down, I don't believe the film would have done as well at the box office.

Image


Th co-star could say no to a movie, but Elvis couldn't. Go figure!


I believe she said at the time she felt she was too old to be an Elvis girl (she is older than him I think). Anyway it was a good move career wise. Yes, I agree, too bad Elvis couldnt just say 'no'.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 pm

Ironically, Nancy had a number one hit in 1966 with "Boots" but Elvis had only a Top 20 hit (number 19) with "Love Letters" the same year. So people who blame British invasion for Elvis declining popularity I think they are wrong because a lot of american artists and bands had number 1 hits in the 1963-1968 era in spite of The Beatles, Stones, Herman's Hermits, Animals, Kinks, Manfred Mann, The Who and others.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 pm

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
frus75 wrote:Well, she was famous enough as the movie came to grab $3 million, when at the time $1,5 was the rule.


Petula Clark was the first choice for the female lead but she turned it down. Probably a good thing she did turn it down, I don't believe the film would have done as well at the box office.

Image


Th co-star could say no to a movie, but Elvis couldn't. Go figure!


I believe she said at the time she felt she was too old to be an Elvis girl (she is older than him I think). Anyway it was a good move career wise. Yes, I agree, too bad Elvis couldnt just say 'no'.



Im glad she turned it down ! i always thought she was a bit of a munter !!!

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Ironically, Nancy had a number one hit in 1966 with "Boots" but Elvis had only a Top 20 hit (number 19) with "Love Letters" the same year. So people who blame British invasion for Elvis declining popularity I think they are wrong because a lot of american artists and bands had number 1 hits in the 1963-1968 era in spite of The Beatles, Stones, Herman's Hermits, Animals, Kinks, Manfred Mann, The Who and others.


If you review the charts between 1964 and 1968, the huge influx of British bands, led by the Beatles, is undeniable. This is why the British Invasion is seen as a harbinger or change, not only for Elvis but also for all kinds of singers and musicians. Of course, during that timeline Elvis abandoned his art, so there was never any real "battle" for supremacy.