Off Topic Messages

Music System recommendations?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 am

My plan is to go out and buy a new hi-fi! Hurrah! Mine is 15 years old, I'm getting some money for teaching this semester, and so I thought it was time to treat myself.

Any recommendations? They all look so weird now! I'm used to them being about two foot tall with a record player on the top. Now they're about the size of a shoebox! And what's a sensible mid-range price these days? My last one was about £500 15 years ago, but my guess (as with much technology) is that for the same price you would be getting something considerably better these days. So, any recommendations? Or makes to buy or avoid?

Re: Music System recommendations?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:12 am

My personal favorite AV Receiver's are from Pioneer. They have been around for many years, and they know about sound. I have the Elite system although it's out of your price range ,the link below has some great sounding 110WPC receivers starting from $249-$500 These are Surround Receivers, but are also capable of true 2 channel stereo.
I have had a bunch of these and either left them on 24/7 and or just played them to the max, and never have fried one. I can just say they are built great and can take some abuse and do sound awesome.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... +Receivers

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 am

thank you :)

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 am

The Marantz line of Amps are top notch in terms of sound fidelity reproduction. They would make any pair of speakers sound great. The one I would recommend is the Marantz PM6004 amp, paired with Wharfedale (Diamond Series) 10.2 speakers.

Slim chassis (not bulky like with most other receivers/ amps) was the real selling point for me.....

Wharfedale 10.2's