Off Topic Messages

Lendl vs McEnroe - World Team Cup 1985

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Hey, I have a new vintage tennis video uploaded on You Tube. Check it out -

phpBB [video]

Re: Lendl vs McEnroe - World Team Cup 1985

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 pm

You know a lot about tennis Robt- who was better between Lendl and McEnroe ?.
And how would Djokovic, Murray and Federer compare to these guys ?.
I may be wrong and certainly not as knowledgable on tennis as some of you guys but I think the modern players(top 4) would beat the Borgs, McEnroes etc today. To me they are physically stonger and fitter nowadays . Obviously there is merit in saying Federer is the best ever so I'm pretty certain he would beat those guys. Would Borg, McEnroe etc in their prime, even make the top 10 today?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:05 am

Lendl was but John had the edge on grass courts. The next part of your question is very tough to answer as Tennis was a lot different sport back then to what it is today, what with speed of the courts being slowed to promote baseline rallies, slower tennis balls etc. The Modern Players have also benefited by various changes such as new racquets and newer racquet strings. I agree with you about the players being fitter and even taller nowadays than 20-30 years ago.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 am

Aahhhhh the demise of serve and volley tennis :( Also lack of one handed backhands ( excepting Stanislas Wawrinka epic R4 battle versus Djokovic).