Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 2 new ftd books

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 pm

I won't be buying these books. Whats the point?!?! We've just had alan whites excellent HMV book. And to have the 56/58 stuff AGAIN!!! It don't seem like5 minutes we had the"young man with the big beat" box set.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:Harry High Pants!

Only because he packed his play-lunch!

Cheers, Piers

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Maybe that was the photo which inspired the Bono person from U2 to wear "fly" shades like that throughout the 90s.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I won't be buying these books. Whats the point?!?! We've just had alan whites excellent HMV book. And to have the 56/58 stuff AGAIN!!! It don't seem like5 minutes we had the"young man with the big beat" box set.

I agree. Alan White's book covers worldwide HMV releases and since I already own most of the UK HMV's, I don't need to see pics of them and I certainly don't need 2 CD's full of the same old material we keep recieving on public domain cd's. And, once agin, FTD release cd's with NOTHING unreleased on them.
That cloud is getting darker.....

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm

No update yet on the Stay Away Joe Sessions?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Our own davide is behind Summer of ’61 and this alone makes it an essential purchase.

Snooze, and you lose!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Our own davide is behind Summer of ’61 and this alone makes it an essential purchase.

Snooze, and you lose!

Yes, whan Davide's name is associated with something, you just know this book will be good. Just like MRS, eh, 'Doc'?? :wink:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Our own davide is behind Summer of ’61 and this alone makes it an essential purchase.

Snooze, and you lose!

Yes, whan Davide's name is associated with something, you just know this book will be good.

The research davide does for these projects is far more than you'll even know. And his topics here have been rightly praised by all, perhaps even you.

Photo Essays and presentations on Elvis by davide
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55122

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:11 pm

I'll buy both! :) They look good to me.

Id like some classic album and soundboard announced soon too though.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:18 pm

As usual, I'll be also buying both and every FTD release that comes along, just for the hell of it. 8)

And knowing davide is behind one of these, practically guarantees quality.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:56 pm

James27 wrote:And knowing davide is behind one of these, practically guarantees quality.

I couldn't agree more. I'll be ordering both books.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Summer of '61
Following the success of WELCOME HOME ELVIS and FROM MEMPHIS TO HOLLYWOOD, Flaming Star productions will release SUMMER OF ’61 in April of this year. The focus is on the summer months of 1961, with the main focus on the making of the movie FOLLOW THAT DREAM filmed on location in Florida in the months July and August 1961.
The book presents original newspaper articles, new exclusive interviews from the cast, the crew, and local residents, and also details about scenes deleted from the final print. The book includes over 200 stunning unpublished photos taken from the original negatives + a CD (detail about the accompanying disc will be provided as soon as possible).

This does look like it could be an interesting book... and knowing that davide is involved with the project makes it that much more desirable. Curious to know what the CD will contain... perhaps the stereo master of Follow That Dream???

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm

if i find out they are Excellent... YES then i will buy...but not until then,,,,,, :o

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:53 pm

If any of you are in doubt, I will let you know how they are.

You are welcome!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:21 pm

PiersEIN wrote: Image

Jim Dandy wrote:Harry High Pants!

... Willie Wrinkled Pants!

I will be getting the Summer of '61 book/cd/dvd... for my brother.
It's his favorite Elvis movie (as well as mine)!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

robg wrote:bit more of an update:
CD – DVD
Follow That Dream Soundtrack recordings unreleased out-takes from the Nashville Session that produced the Pot Luck Album, The Songwriters Demo recording of “What A Wonderful Life” UNSEEN 35mm test screen footage of Elvis filmed in Florida?

Seems FTD is more and more going towards DVD which is another good thing!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Alexander wrote:
CD – DVD
Follow That Dream Soundtrack recordings unreleased out-takes from the Nashville Session that produced the Pot Luck Album, The Songwriters Demo recording of “What A Wonderful Life” UNSEEN 35mm test screen footage of Elvis filmed in Florida?

Seems FTD is more and more going towards DVD which is another good thing!

How did we make the jump to DVD? But I admit that I am becoming interested. I hope they tell us the complete info on the CD (DVD?) soon. Otherwise I'm thinking we will start to make up our own ideas.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 pm

The Summer of 61 book and CD/DVD looks intruguing.

There is supposed to be unreleased footage of Elvis on set.

Yes, the criticism of FTD books seems to be valid, but not just because of the grammer.

The photo layouts are sometimes artificially spread out and other issues plague them.

Not to say they are bad, I have purchased 4 of them, but It was obvious that they could
have been improved upon before release.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Now it's getting interesting with the DVD!

I will be getting both books, have all the FTD releases so far,
and i like most of them.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 pm

I will also buy these FTD Books/CDs 8)

:mrgreen:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 pm

Alexander wrote:Seems FTD is more and more going towards DVD which is another good thing!

Won't this be the first FTD dvd release?... or have I forgotten about a previous one?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:14 pm

robg wrote:We didn't its info lifted from the back cover of the book?

Okay, interesting. If they have the stereo masters, that would be a big deal.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

CD – DVD

This is really great :smt007. Here is hope they include alternate takes that were left out ot the great 2 cd set of FTD Pot Luck release 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 pm

L Ray wrote:Okay, interesting. If they have the stereo masters, that would be a big deal.

I seriously doubt that the stereo masters have been found. Otherwise, there would be a mention of it on the back of the book.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 pm

L Ray wrote:Okay, interesting. If they have the stereo masters, that would be a big deal.

Scores of previously-unseen, summer 1961 images, a CD of outtakes and a DVD with rare footage sounds like a collector's dream, STEREO masters or not.