Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 am

I'm curious to know what people thought of Nancy Sinatra during this time. Being that I just recently watched Ann Margret in VLV, I'm noticing that Nancy doesn't have a fraction of the talent or sex appeal that that magnificent woman once did.

- Was she considered sexy for her time?
- Did she have a good reputation in Hollywood?
- Or was she just Frank Sinatra's "one or two hit wonder" daughter?

Sitting here in 2013 and not growing up in 60's, it's hard for me to tell if this woman had it going on or not.

Re: Nancy Sinatra - Speedway

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:45 am

"Speedway" came out a year after Nancy's #1 hit "Something' Stupid," a duet with her dad. But this film's attempt to pair her with Elvis fails miserably compared to the chemistry Elvis and Ann Margret had in Viva Las Vegas and the songs as well.

I'd say Nancy's more remembered for "Boots" but she actually had a string of unique sounding, mid '60's pop hits both as a solo artist and duets with her father and Lee Hazlewood.

Was she considered sexy for her time? I'd say yes...

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:32 am

ElvisTheKid wrote: - Was she considered sexy for her time?
- Did she have a good reputation in Hollywood?
- Or was she just Frank Sinatra's "one or two hit wonder" daughter?

- Yes
- Yes
- No

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:46 am

EPA4368 wrote:Was she considered sexy for her time? I'd say yes...

not quite sure and actually hope I`m wrong, but could there be a little "photoshop" involved with that picture??

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:48 am

sweetangeline wrote:

not quite sure and actually hope I`m wrong, but could there be a little "photoshop" involved with that picture??

Nope.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 am

When she had her centerfold with Playboy, Tommy Sands told me she sure didn't look like that when she was married to him.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:I'm curious to know what people thought of Nancy Sinatra during this time.

Was she considered sexy for her time?

WHAT?

I just don't understand why she is always wearing a wig.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 am

So would one say that Speedway was the sequel to VLV? (Or Clambake? Or Both, Neither, Other?)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:48 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:So would one say that Speedway was the sequel to VLV? (Or Clambake? Or Both, Neither, Other?)

My choice would be sequel to "Viva Las Vegas." But in all fairness, not even Ann Margret could have redeemed "Speedway."

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:When she had her centerfold with Playboy, Tommy Sands told me she sure didn't look like that when she was married to him.

Her Playboy layout was published in May 1995, 28 years after the photo in question. She was 55 at that time.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:So would one say that Speedway was the sequel to VLV? (Or Clambake? Or Both, Neither, Other?)

My choice would be sequel to "Viva Las Vegas." But in all fairness, not even Ann Margret could have redeemed "Speedway."

SPEEDWAY is to VIVA LAS VEGAS what PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE is to BLUE HAWAII. They try to recapture the magic but fail.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:

SPEEDWAY is to VIVA LAS VEGAS what PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE is to BLUE HAWAII. They try to recapture the magic but fail.

Speedway has a lot more charm than PHS though. I can't even sit through the latter.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:When she had her centerfold with Playboy, Tommy Sands told me she sure didn't look like that when she was married to him.

Her Playboy layout was published in May 1995, 28 years after the photo in question. She was 55 at that time.

I never knew she appeared in a 'stick book'!

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Mister Mike wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:

Good analysis, though Speedway is more bearable than the awful PHS

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 pm

I enjoy the movie and would love to see it on BLU RAY release...

Similar to VIVA LAS LAS VEGAS but not as good but enjoyable nonetheless

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:37 pm

She had a lot more record chart success than AM, having several top 10 hits, so from a music sense, she was more in tune with the times. Sexy yes, but not in the same league as AM.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:33 pm

r&b wrote:She had a lot more record chart success than AM, having several top 10 hits, so from a music sense, she was more in tune with the times.
Sexy yes, but not in the same league as AM.

She was a bit of a 'Plain Jane' at the start of the sixties, who got a make-over later.

With the blonde hair/wig, the stylish clothes & make-up, she tried to be a new sexy Nancy !

It worked, too !
Last edited by ColinB on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

Nope.

thanks, I`m glad I was wrong!! :D

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I never knew she appeared in a 'stick book'!

She actually did a signing for that Playboy in 1995 in NYC! Nice item to have. Te botox was obvious but she looked ok for 55.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:46 pm

Tommy Sands was married with Nancy. Ironically, Tommy was a favorite of Colonel Tom Parker. Maybe if Tommy Sands became Colonel's only client, Elvis Presley had a different and better carreer.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Tommy Sands was married with Nancy. Ironically, Tommy was a favorite of Colonel Tom Parker. Maybe if Tommy Sands became Colonel's only client, Elvis Presley had a different and better carreer.

Tommy Sands didn't have the staying power of Presley, obviously. But he may have had an agenda in making that comment about his ex-wife's 1995 Playboy layout.

Sands married Sinatra on September 11, 1960 at the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas. They separated in April 1965. Nancy filed for divorce on June 16th, citing "extreme mental cruelty and has inflicted grievous mental suffering."

She won a default divorce on July 29th. Shortly after, her career began to take off. Coincidence?

650729_Tuscaloosa News p1.JPG
Tuscaloosa News, Thursday, July 29, 1965
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:32 am

Here is Nancy with Lee Hazelwood and their duet "Jackson". Though not the classic that Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash would have, it's still fun:
phpBB [video]

Johnny and June:
phpBB [video]

Nancy was HOT!
imagesCAWDSJUQ.jpg

images nancy.jpg

Not so much in her older years:
4_23_nancy1_450.jpg

With Elvis:
imagesCA2DCKCX.jpg

imagesCA7I94NX.jpg

RKS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Here is Nancy with Lee Hazelwood and their duet "Jackson".
Though not the classic that Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash would have, it's still fun:

phpBB [video]

RKS

Agree it's not the classic by Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash but it's still fun. :smt023

Nancy and Hazlewood may seem like an unlikely pair to collaborate on duets, but one could not do without the other. Lee helped to make Nancy a star, and Nancy returned the favor by asking Lee to sing with her on songs.

Maybe Elvis should have tried singing "Jackson" with Nancy in "Speedway."

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 am

I remember in one of the books it said that she tried to seduce Elvis by jumping out of a closet naked and surprising him during the filming of Speedway.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:Sitting here in 2013 and not growing up in 60's, it's hard for me to tell if this woman had it going on or not.

Nancy wasn't bad, but the blonde on the left side of the screen definitely had it going on! I'm just sayin'. :wink:
phpBB [video]