Off Topic Messages

Australian Open 2013 - Djokovic (1) vs Murray (3)

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:13 pm

It's a going to be a rematch of their US Open final of last year, where the Scot prevailed in a 5 set, five hour classic. No question that Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic are the two best hardcourt players in men's tennis at present. Andy has just won a 4 hour epic semifinal versus Federer and up until the SF hadn't dropped a set (interestingly the two sets he lost tonight were in tiebreakers) . With Nadal absent, David Ferrer was seeded 4 and lost very easily to Nole in the other semifinal on Thursday night. So then what do other tennis enthusiasts think? I reckon it will be Andy's night.

Re: Australian Open 2013 - Djokovic (1) vs Murray (3)

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 pm

I remember that match last year in US Open and it was a battle. Actually, I think Djokovic would have won that game but in the last set he was having muscular problems and that facilitated the way to Andy's first Grand Slam.

For this Australian Open's final game, probably we will have another match that might go beyond 4 hours. Still, if I had to bet my money, it would be all in Djokovic. I think he is going to win it again. Mentally, Djokovic is much stronger and IMO, Murray is in the final round due to Federer's physical condition. But I have to admit he is playing a great tennis.

Djokovic message is given after his match agains Ferrer. He destroyed the man and did not let him play. And Ferrer is the one of the best defending in tennis.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Congrats to Novak Djokovic winning his third consecutive Australian Open defeating an injured and very gallant Andy Murray 6-7, 7-6,6-3,6-2. Murray was also disadvantaged as he had won a five set, 4 hour semifinal the day following Djokovic's 90 minute semifinal thrashing of David Ferrer.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Robt wrote:Congrats to Novak Djokovic winning his third consecutive Australian Open defeating an injured and very gallant Andy Murray 6-7, 7-6,6-3,6-2. Murray was also disadvantaged as he had won a five set, 4 hour semifinal the day following Djokovic's 90 minute semifinal thrashing of David Ferrer.

I don't think that count too much.

Last year, Djokovic played more than 5 hours against Murray on semifinal and 6 hours against Nadal in the final round.

Djokovic just happens to be much stronger physically and mentally than Murray. And technically both are in the excellent level with Djokovic some steps above.

And just like I wrote on facebook minutes ago, it's time for Nadal and Murray to try to improve their game against Djokovic otherwise, I think the Servian will remain as the #1 for two or three years easily.

Congratulations for both players and the season promises to be a true battle between Djokovic and Murray.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Renan wrote:
Robt wrote:Congrats to Novak Djokovic winning his third consecutive Australian Open defeating an injured and very gallant Andy Murray 6-7, 7-6,6-3,6-2. Murray was also disadvantaged as he had won a five set, 4 hour semifinal the day following Djokovic's 90 minute semifinal thrashing of David Ferrer.

I don't think that count too much.

Last year, Djokovic played more than 5 hours against Murray on semifinal and 6 hours against Nadal in the final round.

Djokovic just happens to be much stronger physically and mentally than Murray. And technically both are in the excellent level with Djokovic some steps above.

And just like I wrote on facebook minutes ago, it's time for Nadal and Murray to try to improve their game against Djokovic otherwise, I think the Servian will remain as the #1 for two or three years easily.

Congratulations for both players and the season promises to be a true battle between Djokovic and Murray.

If anybody who actually likes the dour and dull Andy Murray is upset that he's lost, don't worry, he'll be playing in about another 30 tournaments in different countries against the same people all over again, so the law of averages states he is bound to win something, somewhere.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:00 pm

:o Good heavens Tony. Do you know the difference between the Grand Slams and the ATP tournaments ? I'm afraid our friend Renan is spot on with his comment regarding either Murray or Nadal (assuming he returns and recaptures his previous level) would need to improve their game in order to catch up to that serbian ego maniac. Personally don't see it happening.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:28 pm

Robt wrote::o Good heavens Tony. Do you know the difference between the Grand Slams and the ATP tournaments ? I'm afraid our friend Renan is spot on with his comment regarding either Murray or Nadal (assuming he returns and recaptures his previous level) would need to improve their game in order to catch up to that serbian ego maniac. Personally don't see it happening.

I personally hope Nadal can comeback in high form. It would be great for tennis overall.

I don't how bad was his injury (knee again?).

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Renan, my Friend what did you think of the match overall ? To me, this was a horrendous final - as expected. Too much play from the baseline and no service breaks until the 3rd set. Courts desperately need to be sped up or else matches like these would be repeated.. You're correct. This final came down to Novak being a better mover around the court and physically outlasting Murray including before Andy's foot injury became obvious. Novak's defensive and retrieval skills are the best in Mens tennis history. Shame the Djokovic - Wawrinka match was not the final

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Tony.. wrote:
If anybody who actually likes the dour and dull Andy Murray is upset that he's lost, don't worry, he'll be playing in about another 30 tournaments in different countries against the same people all over again, so the law of averages states he is bound to win something, somewhere.

:wtf: i like him ! so F*ck you and the horse you rode in on !!!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm

I missed the second half of the final, but saw the first couple of sets and the start of the third. Murray was looking very much the equal of Djokovic at that stage. Actually, there was a period of dominance where he won 16 out of 18 points. Had that lasted one more point, he would have broken in the third set.

I saw an image of Murray's foot on Yahoo and ouch! That probably did play some role in the what followed, but I suspect that fatigue was a bigger factor. Djokovic clearly expertly punished Murray when he got the chance.

I think Djokovic and Murray will be the best two players in the world over the next couple of years at least. Murray seems to have the measure of Federer now.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:12 am

Robt wrote:Renan, my Friend what did you think of the match overall ? To me, this was a horrendous final - as expected. Too much play from the baseline and no service breaks until the 3rd set. Courts desperately need to be sped up or else matches like these would be repeated.. You're correct. This final came down to Novak being a better mover around the court and physically outlasting Murray including before Andy's foot injury became obvious. Novak's defensive and retrieval skills are the best in Mens tennis history. Shame the Djokovic - Wawrinka match was not the final

The final was not that bad. Surely the Djokovic x Wrawrinka game had more final's feeling.

I actually think Djokovic was too nervous. He really wanted the 4th title in Australia and the 3rd consecutively. So when the game started he was very nervous and Andy Murray was calm until the beggining of 2nd set. He lost control when he tried to break the Servian's service and that didn't happen. He went through a mental breakdown evidently.

With that, Djokovic did improve his game (specially his forehand) and he got the exact "time" of the ball. From then, Murray was an easy target and it ended with a very confident Servian on court. Had he played like since the first set, probably we would have 3-0. Murray still has to work the mental part.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:02 am

Renan wrote:
Robt wrote:Renan, my Friend what did you think of the match overall ? To me, this was a horrendous final - as expected. Too much play from the baseline and no service breaks until the 3rd set. Courts desperately need to be sped up or else matches like these would be repeated.. You're correct. This final came down to Novak being a better mover around the court and physically outlasting Murray including before Andy's foot injury became obvious. Novak's defensive and retrieval skills are the best in Mens tennis history. Shame the Djokovic - Wawrinka match was not the final

The final was not that bad. Surely the Djokovic x Wrawrinka game had more final's feeling.

I actually think Djokovic was too nervous. He really wanted the 4th title in Australia and the 3rd consecutively. So when the game started he was very nervous and Andy Murray was calm until the beggining of 2nd set. He lost control when he tried to break the Servian's service and that didn't happen. He went through a mental breakdown evidently.

With that, Djokovic did improve his game (specially his forehand) and he got the exact "time" of the ball. From then, Murray was an easy target and it ended with a very confident Servian on court. Had he played like since the first set, probably we would have 3-0. Murray still has to work the mental part.

Murry has already won a major & olympic gold so already has the mental part.he lost to the better player on the day thats all !!!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 am

rocknroller wrote:
Renan wrote:

Murry has already won a major & olympic gold so already has the mental part.he lost to the better player on the day thats all !!!

IMO, he improved but sometimes I still see the Murray from 2 years ago. Sometimes inconstant and unstable. I really think he would have lost the match against Federer if the swiss had more energy to go through 5th set and don't get me wrong: most part of the game against Federer he was better but in the end of 4th set, I really throght he would lose it.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 am

Hey Renan, methinks the best match of the tournament, maybe for the rest of this year , is Djokovic vs Wawrinka in the fourth round. As far as I'm concerned, any other match in the tournament was average! Stanislas hit so many one handed backhand winners that was out of this world. It's available on YT but in spanish.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm

Robt wrote:Hey Renan, methinks the best match of the tournament, maybe for the rest of this year , is Djokovic vs Wawrinka in the fourth round. As far as I'm concerned, any other match in the tournament was average! Stanislas hit so many one handed backhand winners that was out of this world. It's available on YT but in spanish.

That was true. His backhand is one of the best among the best top ranked players.

I didn't watch the game Federer x Tsonga. I was told that this was possibly the best game of the tournment. Maybe technically?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Renan wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
Renan wrote:

IMO, he improved but sometimes I still see the Murray from 2 years ago. Sometimes inconstant and unstable. I really think he would have lost the match against Federer if the swiss had more energy to go through 5th set and don't get me wrong: most part of the game against Federer he was better but in the end of 4th set, I really throght he would lose it.

Murray is inconstant i will give you that.unstable no i like that side of him ! Djokovic lost it a few times in the first 2 sets when murray was bossing the game.your right federer did look favourite gong in to the last set.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Damn. I felt so sure Andy would win his first Australian Open this year. Guess he will never be the athlete that Djokovic is. Can't see him wanting to go to the net either. As his coach, Lendl has a major task.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Robt wrote:Damn. I felt so sure Andy would win his first Australian Open this year. Guess he will never be the athlete that Djokovic is. Can't see him wanting to go to the net either. As his coach, Lendl has a major task.

Why does he need to go to the net ? Djokovic does not go to the net too often and he is the worlds number 1 player ! as far as being the athlete that Djokovic is i don't think murray is too far behind.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:15 am

Because he loses most of the baseline duals vs Nole. Same thing when he plays Nadal. He has a good volley. Andy should come to the net more.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Djokovic is better but not by as much as some make out. I don't believe there is that much between them. Certainly not as much as there was 2 years ago... Murray has closed the gap.

This year will tell.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:29 pm

daylon wrote:Djokovic is better but not by as much as some make out. I don't believe there is that much between them. Certainly not as much as there was 2 years ago... Murray has closed the gap.

This year will tell.

:smt023

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 pm

daylon wrote:Djokovic is better but not by as much as some make out. I don't believe there is that much between them. Certainly not as much as there was 2 years ago... Murray has closed the gap.

This year will tell.

NOle still has a significant mental edge over Andy. It showed on most of the baseline duals especially after the first set. It is also significant since the US Open final that Djokovic won three times against Andy. Hope to see Andy (or Nadal) turn things around this year. Personally I'm sick of some of his antics, the way he acts. Did you see his ripping off his shirt after he won a marathon match versus Wawrinka ? What a Prick !

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am

Robt wrote:Personally I'm sick of some of his antics, the way he acts. Did you see his ripping off his shirt after he won a marathon match versus Wawrinka ? What a Prick !

I don't see anything wrong with that. For me, it is worst when Nadal is losing and screams very loud when winning a point just to show he is still there. This is pathetic in my opinion.

Ripping off his shirt is Ok and the game was already over.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 am

You're right to say that about Rafa. I agree. But Djokovic is worse.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 am

Naturally I wanted Andy to win but there is nothing to be too disappointed about.He gave him a good game and had chances but lost to the better man on the day on his favourite court.Now that Andy has won a slam I'm sure he will work out how to rise to another level as Novac did in this match.Then Novac will do the same and we will be the ones to benefit with a tennis rivalry that could match some of the great ones we've had in the past.

norrie