Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

King of Rock and Roll

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:21 am

When did the fans start referring to Elvis as the King of Rock and Roll? I know it was already engrained in the public by 1977. Many fans refer to him as the King on the EIC CBS special. Just curious.

Re: King of Rock and Roll

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:30 am

It was very early. 1956 or earlier.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 am

ekenee wrote:It was very early. 1956 or earlier.

Wow. I had no idea it was that far back. Thanks for the reply.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:59 am

"King of Rock and Roll" ?

Maybe sometime during 1956 that term may have loosely been tossed around, but not earlier.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 am

Blue River wrote:

Maybe sometime during 1956 that term may have loosely been tossed around, but not earlier.

It was something the press dubbed him in 1956 and it stuck. He was called: "The Rock And Roll King" and "The King Of Rock And Roll".

BTW. It is something that Elvis never called himself or argued over the way Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Bo Diddley did. I don't think the Colonel ever promoted him as the King Of Rock and Roll either. I think Elvis was somewhat embarrassed about the title.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 am

eligain wrote:
Blue River wrote:

It was something the press dubbed him in 1956 and it stuck. He was called: "The Rock And Roll King" and "The King Of Rock And Roll".
BTW. It is something that Elvis never called himself or argued over the way Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Bo Diddley did. I don't think the Colonel ever promoted him as the King Of Rock and Roll either. I think Elvis was somewhat embarrassed about the title.

We weren't quick enough with the right answer, eligain.

dr borgo has already thanked ekenee.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:21 am

Blue River wrote:
eligain wrote:
Blue River wrote:

We weren't quick enough with the right answer, eligain.

dr borgo has already thanked ekenee.

I appreciate all the replies. I didn't mean to imply that I was satisfied and the thread should die. I am learning a lot from everybody on here. I am a lifelong Elvis fan, but a newbie on the forum. I just love to discuss all things Elvis the good AND the bad. I just hope I don't stick my foot in my mouth too much. lol :oops: