Off Topic Messages

The Top 50 Funniest People...

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:38 pm

...according to Rolling Stone magazine. They should cease producing these 'greatest' etc lists as, let's face it, their not very good at it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

50. Michael Che
49. Joan Rivers
48. Charles Barkley
47. Jimmy Fallon
46. Daniel Kitson
45. Melissa McCarthy
44. Tracy Morgan
43. @DadBoner (Mike Burns)
42. David Sedaris
41. Mindy Kaling
40. Paul F. Tompkins
39. Maria Bamford
38. Patton Oswalt
37. Scott Aukerman
36. Kristen Schaal
35. David Letterman
34. Michael Ian Black
33. Nick Offerman
32. Bill Murray
31. Tom Scharpling and Jon Wurster
30. Rebel Wilson
29. Jerry Seinfeld
28. John Mulaney
27. Rob Delaney
26. John Oliver
25. Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein
24. Seth Meyers
23. Hannibal Buress
22. Bill Maher
21. Tig Notaro
20. Marc Maron
19. David Cross
18. Howard Stern
17. Jimmy Kimmel
16. Ricky Gervais
15. Kevin Hart
14. Will Ferrell
13. Aziz Ansari
12. Larry David
11. Zach Galifianakis
10. Kristen Wiig
9. Bill Hader
8. Lena Dunham
7. Chris Rock
6. Amy Poehler
5. Trey Parker and Matt Stone
4. Jon Stewart
3. Tina Fey
2. Stephen Colbert
1. Louis C.K

Re: The Top 50 Funniest People...

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:49 pm

At least Daniel Kitson made the list, even if he should have been higher. And what, no Sarah Silverman?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 pm

I though you meant the top 50 funniest people who post here
:sosorry:

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Where's Rob on the list?

He should be number 1. :wink:

Jerry Seinfeld should be higher too!

::rocks

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 pm

As a UK citizen, I have never heard of a lot of the people on the list, not even the number 1 person. I suppose USA people would say the same about Tony Hancock, Peter Kay or Harry H Corbett for examples.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Tony.. wrote:As a UK citizen, I have never heard of a lot of the people on the list, not even the number 1 person. I suppose USA people would say the same about Tony Hancock, Peter Kay or Harry H Corbett for examples.

I only have heard the names of 7 of these people and know what they look like of only 3.
Which proves who's famous in one country is a complete unknwon in another.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Where the f*ck is billy connolly ! list aint worth sh*t !!!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm

None of the Monty Python crew?
:?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

No George Carlin or Richard Pryor? :wtf:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm

promiseland wrote:No George Carlin or Richard Pryor? :wtf:

Might be for people still alive (re. George)...
and seriously Robin Williams has to be the greatest improv comic alive... and that Scotsman on the Late, Late show is a riot... I love that guy... Craig Ferguson

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm

The Rolling Stone magazine has a brilliant sense of humour putting out that list. :lol: :lol:

Its a joke right? :?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 pm

At first I thought this was your personal faves, then I saw that it's another one of those Rolling Stone lists, aka 'the top way out of touch opinions of way out of touch people who care little about people not currently on the cultural radar'.

As pointed out here no Richard Pryor? George Carlin? Eddie Murphy? Not even Dave Chapelle? Get a freakin clue!

Seriously, this isn't funny it's just really, really sad. It' should have been called 'The Top 50 funniest people; half of which think they're funny but aren't".

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 am

The full blurb from Rolling Stone would have helped gauge the focus of this list:

THE 50 FUNNIEST PEOPLE NOW

Here they are: The 50 actors, stand-ups, TV hosts, Twitterers, radio personalities, septuagenarians and sports analysts making us laugh the most [i]right now
. In making this list, we took the "now" part seriously, and focused on comedians' recent work. That meant excluding some all-time greats who aren’t very active as funnymen (or aren't doing their best work at the moment) in favor of people who are truly killing it out there these days.[/i]

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lis ... w-20130124

That says it all. "Right now" as in currently working and accessible on TV or film. Not the funniest people of "all time" (living or dead). People like George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Dave Chapelle would not be appropriate for this list, based on the parameters RS mag have set.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 am

Justin wrote:The full blurb from Rolling Stone would have helped gauge the focus of this list:

THE 50 FUNNIEST PEOPLE NOW

Here they are: The 50 actors, stand-ups, TV hosts, Twitterers, radio personalities, septuagenarians and sports analysts making us laugh the most [i]right now
. In making this list, we took the "now" part seriously, and focused on comedians' recent work. That meant excluding some all-time greats who aren’t very active as funnymen (or aren't doing their best work at the moment) in favor of people who are truly killing it out there these days.[/i]

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lis ... w-20130124

That says it all. "Right now" as in currently working and accessible on TV or film. Not the funniest people of "all time" (living or dead). People like George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Dave Chapelle would not be appropriate for this list, based on the parameters RS mag have set.

They still suck and so does their 'Top' lists. And also NEWSFLASH: alot of those people on that list are really not that funny. In fact I don't know who alot of them are, and that's fine with me. You know who's funny right now? Jim Gaffigan. The guy is nowhere to be found on that list.

phpBB [video]

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 am

It's not their problem you don't know some of those names. Why don't you create your own list of 50 funny people currently working? I'm not sure it would differ too greatly than RS mag's list.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:54 am

Justin wrote:It's not their problem you don't know some of those names. Why don't you create your own list of 50 funny people currently working? I'm not sure it would differ too greatly than RS mag's list.

Mine would :smt102