Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I'M GOING BACK TO GRACELAND! WOOHOO!!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:52 pm

After years of wanting to go back to Memphis and Graceland, I will, hopefully, be going back AGAIN at the end of either February or March with the same ladies I went with last time back in 2001. And THIS TIME, I'm taking my Ipad2 with me so I can take pictures! I hope they'll still have the AFH exhibit up and the EOT exhibit. I can't wait to see what new stuff I'll get to see when I get there!!

I'M SO DAMNED EXCITED!!!

::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

Re: I'M GOING BACK TO GRACELAND! WOOHOO!!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:06 pm

That is AWESOME Tony! I am very happy for you. You sound like me when I finally got to go to Graceland for the first time during Elvis Week 2012. I could never stop taking pictures.

I will never forget it and plan on returning as often as possible.

Congratulations again!!

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I hopefully, goin for my first time next year

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:09 pm

BrianTCB wrote:That is AWESOME Tony! I am very happy for you. You sound like me when I finally got to go to Graceland for the first time during Elvis Week 2012. I could never stop taking pictures.

Congratulations again!!

Thanks, Brian! I first went back in 2001 and THOROUGHLY enjoyed the trip! A story about the trip was even in the local newspaper here. Someone from the newspaper asked me what it was like and I, brutally and honestly, told them: "The first time I went through those famous music gates, it was, honest to God, like being 'cut off' from the rest of the world and I felt such a huge sense of peace come over me like I had never felt before and when we left, I left feeling very sad not knowing if it would be my last time there or not."

I'm hoping to make the trip a little longer this time. We only went for a couple of days the last time. This time, I'm hoping we can have enough $$$ to spend at least an extra day there and go through the mansion again because I only got to go through it once on my first trip.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:That is AWESOME Tony! I am very happy for you. You sound like me when I finally got to go to Graceland for the first time during Elvis Week 2012. I could never stop taking pictures.

Congratulations again!!

Thanks, Brian! I first went back in 2001 and THOROUGHLY enjoyed the trip! A story about the trip was even in the local newspaper here. Someone from the newspaper asked me what it was like and I, brutally and honestly, told them: "The first time I went through those famous music gates, it was, honest to God, like being 'cut off' from the rest of the world and I felt such a huge sense of peace come over me like I had never felt before and when we left, I left feeling very sad not knowing if it would be my last time there or not."

I'm hoping to make the trip a little longer this time. We only went for a couple of days the last time. This time, I'm hoping we can have enough $$$ to spend at least an extra day there and go through the mansion again because I only got to go through it once on my first trip.

Fantastic. Maybe you can post a few pics.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:10 pm

L Ray wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:

Congratulations again!!

Fantastic. Maybe you can post a few pics.

I'm hoping I'll be able to...we'll see...I'll keep everybody posted.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm

"... with the same ladies "

What ladies?! I'm jealous!

Tony, if you have extra time this go-round I would highly recommend that you go to Tupelo one day (unless you've already been there before).

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 am

Blue River wrote:"... with the same ladies "

Tony, if you have extra time this go-round I would highly recommend that you go to Tupelo one day (unless you've already been there before).

BR,

The ladies are friends of mine whom I almost consider to be family. That first trip to Graceland was one they took me on as a Christmas present because I'd never been before.

This is only probably going to be a weekend (four-day) trip and I really want to spend as much time at Graceland as I can since I didn't get to go through the mansion but once while I was there last time. Maybe someday I'll make it to Tupelo, MS.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:40 am

Tony Trout wrote:

BR,
This is only probably going to be a weekend (four-day) trip and I really want to spend as much time at Graceland as I can since I didn't get to go through the mansion but once while I was there last time. Maybe someday I'll make it to Tupelo, MS.

Hey, don't leave me hanging! What ladies?

A Tupelo trip would only take a half day from Memphis & back and you wouldn't regret it. :wink:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 am

Blue River wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:

BR,

Hey, don't leave me hanging! What ladies?

A Tupelo trip would only take a half day from Memphis & back and you wouldn't regret it. :wink:

I know I wouldn't regret it but...Graceland holds more lure for me than Tupelo (sorry!).

The ladies are friends of mine who I almost consider to be family. They were the first ones to take me to Graceland back in 2001 as a Christmas present. They're much older than myself except for the daughter (she's married, unfortunately, and has three children).

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:48 am

Are you putting your recently acquired permit to use and driving there? If so, maybe they should put out some kind of warning to other users of the road.... :wink:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:37 am

While you're in Memphis, I recommend a Riverboat ride! Really - it just takes a little time out of your day, and it's something you'll keep forever in your heart. And, of course, you can take great pictures! It's just a great Memphis experience.

All the best, Tony!
Robin

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:57 pm

rjm wrote:While you're in Memphis, I recommend a Riverboat ride! Really - it just takes a little time out of your day, and it's something you'll keep forever in your heart. And, of course, you can take great pictures! It's just a great Memphis experience.

All the best, Tony!
Robin

I'll second that. I took one on my first visit there. Ended up getting caught in a brief rainstorm.. Reckon it was all of Memphis' rainfall for that year, in the space of 10 minutes. All part of that southern charm!

I'd love to go back.. (envy level rising....)

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Mister Mike wrote:Are you putting your recently acquired permit to use and driving there? If so, maybe they should put out some kind of warning to other users of the road.... :wink:

We'll be driving but I won't be behind the wheel. One of the ladies will be driving. I still have a bit to learn before I'm gonna even try very long distances.

Thank you, Robin, for the well-wishes! You're a sweetheart, my friend!
Last edited by Tony Trout on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:57 pm

Fantastic, I´ve been there several times. Last time I actually got married there (last august). Have a nice time.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:01 pm

Good luck Tony, have a great time.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:Are you putting your recently acquired permit to use and driving there? If so, maybe they should put out some kind of warning to other users of the road.... :wink:

We'll be driving but I won't be behind the wheel. One of the ladies will be driving. I still have a bit to learn before I'm gonna even try very long distances.

If a car is being hired, Tony, for heaven's sake go to Tupelo ! Get up early, maybe - I think it's roughly 100 miles to Tupelo - and you'd be back at least for the public access to Graceland in the early evening.

Plan what you're going to see - it's probably all within a square mile. The fairground is gone but you'll still cross the railway track visible in the Tupelo 1956 film ; plus visit the hardware shop, court buildings, church, etc. I didn't get to see any of the schools back in 2005 but if I ever get to Memphis again I will definitely try to get to Tupelo.

Have a great trip !

Steve Morse

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:15 pm

That's fantastic, Tony! I know you'll have a great time, and I can't wait to see what pics you'll come back with. Totally understand your want to stay around Graceland. There is so much to see and experience, so mulitple tours are the thing to do if you have the time and money.

I was sad, too, the first time I left Memphis, believing I'd never get back. But I've been lucky enough to tour the house a total of 14 times over the years. I never tire of the vibe and the atmosphere. And, I rarely use the headphones, because I didn't want to be bothered with that noise while walking the house and grounds.

Enjoy!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Awesome News Tony Trout - Enjoy ya self and trip - Happy for you buddy
:smt006

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 pm

KHoots,

The vibe is definitely why I want to stay around Graceland. It's SO peaceful there. The only thing I can describe it as is almost Heaven on Earth. I don't used the headphones, either. I like to hear what the guides are saying in case I get an opportunity to correct them on their knowledge. LOL!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm

KHoots wrote:I rarely use the headphones, because I didn't want to be bothered with that noise while walking the house and grounds.

The last time I went, I had the headphones with me, but I knew what they were going to say in each room so I seldom had them on. I always put them on during the shuttle though because I love listening to Welcome To My World as we drive through the gates.

I do love being at Graceland and plan to go back sometime in the spring of this year.

Have fun, Tony! I'm going to!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Tony Trout wrote: I still have a bit to learn before I'm gonna even try very long distances.

That's the easy part Tony.. Out on the open road with the music playing.. heaven.
it's the towns and cities where it gets tricky :)

Oh, and as Steve suggested - as you have a car, definitely worth trying to get up to Tupelo for a day. It's easy to get there and back from Memphis, and well worth the visit.

(envy level increasing)

Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:42 am

Steve Morse wrote:Tony, for heaven's sake go to Tupelo ! Get up early, maybe - I think it's roughly 100 miles to Tupelo - :smt023
and you'd be back at least for the public access to Graceland in the early evening.

phpBB [video]

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Rob, I take the headphones off after we go through the gates. They are very distracting for me, to be honest. And, still, as far as going to Tupelo, I really don't know how much $$$ we will have to spend - that's why I've been hesitant to mention a trip to Tupelo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Have a great time Tony!!