Off Topic Messages

Any way to remove a copyright strike?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:05 am

Bob (bleeping) Dylan! "Web Sheriff" it said made the claim. Son of a . . . .

It had one photograph, which I took. I then removed the video, which I would have done had they asked me!

Any way to remove this? I guess not.

I did send a note to Google, but that won't do any good.

He's an idiot! Those videos SELL RECORDS!!! I own two copies of that box set with that song, and I SAID SO! And I said "BUY THE MUSIC," etc.

rjm

Re: Any way to remove a copyright strike?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:16 am

And he hired this guy! http://www.websheriff.com/

It wasn't SONY. It'll say a company, if it's a company. It's Bob, period, who hired this creepy lawyer. His Facebook page has 5 "friends." No kiddin.'

That "lawyer" is probably the most hated human on the Internet! No freedom of expression; this guy even goes after COVERS! That's how bands start out, BTW. They play covers in clubs. What is the (expletive deleted) difference? They get royalties through advertising, which is why they HAVE advertising! Disgraceful treatment of the fans. 10,000 people were exposed to that old geezer's song who would not have, and they loved it. What a jerk! Individual artists hire this hired gun slime-guy - so it's not Sony; it's Bob.

You know who he ALSO works for? Beyonce. Who fooled MILLIONS around the world the other day, by faking singing. But that's okay, I guess. The fans have no rights.

The domain is YouTube's, of course, so they are "in jeopardy," technically, of trafficking in stolen property, in this view. We'd have NO RADIO if this were years ago! I say: let 'em rely on radio, and see how they do today. Or "official videos" which nobody watches.

rjm

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 pm

rjm wrote:We'd have NO RADIO if this were years ago!
rjm

Huh? Radio stations pay royalties to the artist, so I don't follow your argument here.

Chris

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 am

ChrisM wrote:
rjm wrote:We'd have NO RADIO if this were years ago!
rjm

Huh? Radio stations pay royalties to the artist, so I don't follow your argument here.

Chris

YouTube has a set of growing royalty arrangements. I'd have to look it up to compare, but through the ads, they do. There just was a new songwriting deal cut, over and above other deals.

The labels are doing great.

Traditional radio does not pay the owners of master recordings.

And now artists, who were once forced to cover the lavish costs of videos, get 'em for free!

Official videos can cost 100s of thousands of dollars; fans do it for love. Get paid ZERO.

And there is the matters of Fair Use and transformative works. But fans can't pay expensive lawyers. There are some great artists making videos on there (not me, ok?), and they get nothing. They ask for nothing! No one even thinks about their rights. There are painters, photographers . . . Their beautiful work treated as a criminal nuissance. WE are the Keith Harings of our time!! We make art on "walls" owned by others, and transform those walls.

rjm

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:00 pm

rjm wrote: We make art on "walls" owned by others, and transform those walls.

Maybe they didn't want their "walls" transforming? Jesus, whatever happened to the concept of people being allowed to decide what happens to something they own?

"No, trust me, you might think you know what's best for yourself, but seriously, I know better..."

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Fine. They can pay for videos like in the '80s. The artists ended up paying for them out of their royalties.

Apparently few know about art in pubic spaces. No one wants to deny them their fair share (except their own labels). But other artists have the right to transformative art, like graffiti art. Not "tagging," but in the manner of the great public art of the late 20th century. To kill this new form is AGAINST both the letter and sprit of the law, which allows for this type of creation.

But the big labels and multimillionaires are the ones who can afford to shut it all down. As I said, they even go after covers! Like covers in your local club by a new band. This is the new public space where new ideas can flourish.

The "ownership" is no simple matter in this case. And, besides, royalty arrangements are getting better and better; they are already more balanced than traditional radio.

No one is asking them for a dime to promote the material. You put cool art on the side of a huge bank building and more people come to visit!

I suggest research on art in public spaces. Especially graffiti!

AND, I can't believe any Elvis fan would object to fans transforming a wall!

https://www.google.com/search?q=writing+on+the+graceland+wall&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VxMGUaGkEKqWjAKWmYC4Cg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1097&bih=541

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2