Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

George wanted the Beatles & Elvis to record an LP (1968)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 am

Hey, I found this from The Beatles Ultimate website that featured this fascinating article from the Hit Parader printed in 1968 -

http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1968 ... atles.html

Re: George wanted the Beatles & Elvis to record an LP (1968)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:50 am

How great that LP could be....

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 am

Would have been great... The Beatles writing the lyrics and Elvis singing 8)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:57 am

Elvis should have joined the group and been the fifth Beatle during the mid 60s.

He could have sang all the songs Ringo sung.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:53 pm

brian wrote:Elvis should have joined the group and been the fifth Beatle during the mid 60s.

Surely he deserved better material than that :wink:

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Robt wrote:Hey, I found this from The Beatles Ultimate website that featured this fascinating article from the Hit Parader printed in 1968 -

Thanks for sharing!

Harrison discusses recording, songwriting, his preferences on the possiblity of the Beatles performing live again, and in passing even seriously mentions the potential for a Beatles/Elvis collaboration album.

"It would be great if the Beatles and Elvis could get together for an album. It really would."

Don’t know if they could have all worked well together on an album but would have loved to see Elvis taking a break from his world-tour to perform with the Beatles on Apple's Rooftop in '69...

phpBB [video]

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Read a quote years ago from an interview from Lennon where he said that him and Paul had contacted the Colonel about writing songs for Elvis but he never heard back from him. Lennon in another interview mentioned wanting produce a Elvis record but that he would probably be to scared of Elvis to do it.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm

Robt wrote:Hey, I found this from The Beatles Ultimate website that featured this fascinating article from the Hit Parader printed in 1968 -

Awesome post!!!!! 8)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 pm

eligain wrote:Read a quote years ago from an interview from Lennon where he said that him and Paul had contacted the Colonel about writing songs for Elvis but he never heard back from him. Lennon in another interview mentioned wanting produce a Elvis record but that he would probably be to scared of Elvis to do it.

I recall reading both quotes as well but don't remember any clips hearing either John or Paul talking about it. I do remember hearing Yoko saying how much John wanted to write songs for Elvis but she didn't say if John ever contacted Elvis and/or Parker during the interview.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

brian wrote:Elvis should have joined the group and been the fifth Beatle during the mid 60s.

:facep: Stop it! You're making my eye twitch! smt180 (Always happens when my anxiety level is raised)

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:03 am

EPA4368 wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

Harrison discusses recording, songwriting, his preferences on the possiblity of the Beatles performing live again, and in passing even seriously mentions the potential for a Beatles/Elvis collaboration album.

"It would be great if the Beatles and Elvis could get together for an album. It really would."

Don’t know if they could have all worked well together on an album but would have loved to see Elvis taking a break from his world-tour to perform with the Beatles on Apple's Rooftop in '69...

phpBB [video]

World tour?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 am

Blue River wrote:

:facep: Stop it! You're making my eye twitch! smt180 (Always happens when my anxiety level is raised)

In case you aren't sure i was making a joke.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 am

George was always a wishful thinker.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 am

brian wrote:
Blue River wrote:

In case you aren't sure i was making a joke.

Thank you for the clarification. The eye-twitching has subsided. :)

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 am

rockinrebel wrote:

Surely he deserved better than that.

Maybe he did but the Ringo Beatle songs were still better than what Elvis was doing at that time.

Also ''Octopus garden'' was a better children's type song than ''Have a happy''.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 am

brian wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:

Surely he deserved better than that.

Maybe he did but the Ringo Beatle songs were still better than what Elvis was doing at that time.

Also ''Octopus garden'' was a better children's type song than ''Have a happy''.

You must be kidding!
phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 pm

brian wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:Maybe he did but the Ringo Beatle songs were still better than what Elvis was doing at that time.

I was only joking Brian. I love The Beatles, but there are certain Ringo vocals that do make me reach for the skip button. I don't really have a problem with "Octopus Garden", but I can't imagine Elvis cutting this song.

However, I would agree that had The Beatles worked with Elvis the results could have been spectacular.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Lady Madonna comes to mind in 1968. it could have been written just for him. He should have stayed in touch with the boys.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:14 am

r&b wrote:Lady Madonna comes to mind in 1968. it could have been written just for him. He should have stayed in touch with the boys.

Indeed. Their mutual affection ran deep.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Lady Madonna comes to mind in 1968. it could have been written just for him. He should have stayed in touch with the boys.

Don't know if it was mutual. Didn't he say to Nixon that he felt The Beatles were anti-American and were spreading an anti-American message with their music?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 am

Errol Flynn wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Don't know if it was mutual. Didn't he say to Nixon that he felt The Beatles were anti-American and were spreading an anti-American message with their music?

Odd you choose to make this comment. You are someone on this forum who claims to have not read much on Elvis, and devotes the majority of your time asking questions to fill in the gaps.

The Nixon conversation? Different time, different place, different context. Presley was saying anything to get a BNDD badge. He never spoke about the Beatles that way to his friends or family.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:57 am

George wanting to record Elvis does make a lot of sense. I Seem to remember after Roy Orbison died they were trying to replace him and George suggested an 'Elvis' Wilbury. Specifically getting the Elvis track 'How the Web was Woven' and recording around Elvis vocal with a new arrangement RCA said no and later that same trick went onto recording Real Love with the late John Lennon.

Burning Love

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 am

Burning Love wrote:George wanting to record Elvis does make a lot of sense. I Seem to remember after Roy Orbison died they were trying to replace him and George suggested an 'Elvis' Wilbury. Specifically getting the Elvis track 'How the Web was Woven' and recording around Elvis vocal with a new arrangement RCA said no and later that same trick went onto recording Real Love with the late John Lennon.

Burning Love

That would have been awesome.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:39 am

To hear Elvis, Lennon, and McCartney doing some three-part harmony together would have been like having angels tap dancing across your eardrums.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:02 am

dhornjr1 wrote:To hear Elvis, Lennon, and McCartney doing some three-part harmony together would have been like having angels tap dancing across your eardrums.

Totally!