Re: Elvis Dance Moves

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 am

karlos wrote:Wonderful dance Moves By Our King -
Please Follow Link

phpBB [video]

See Elvis Doing MoonWalk Before M.Jackson On Certain Moves In Dance - Love This
Enjoy Y'all

(Eat Ya Heart Out M.Jackson - ) ::rocks :smt007 :smt006 :P ::rocks

Presley's not quite doing the moonwalk, a move that goes back decades before Jackson's use of it on TV in 1983.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonwalk_(dance)

The video is fun viewing though. Note also that the 1962 and 1963 clips show Elvis mimicking one of his personal favorite performers, Jackie Wilson.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:58 am

My favorite has always been the Bosa Nova Baby scene.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:32 am

I Love Elvis' dancing. I'm still trying to perfect the JHR moves. Ok I'm try to do the JHR moves without looking like a fool.

I didn't know he was doing the Jackie Wilson dance. I know the M$Q Tel-E-Phone story but besides that I'm not familiar with him.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:48 am

Elvis' dance moves were masculine whereas Jackson's were feminine. Elvis could really move in a way that not many had ever seen. Jackie Wilson himself got some of his incredible style and moves from Elvis. He even publicly admitted to it. In fact, alot of African American entertainers have studied Elvis and taken from his actions on stage. Today, all of the top dance performers have to have a choreographer when doing dance numbers. Elvis never had a choreographer to tell him how to dance a certain way. His moves were all natural. He did whatever he felt at that particular moment.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:01 am

I think the best dancing sequence with a girl is in "C'mon Everybody" with Ann Margret from Viva Las Vegas.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:10 pm

'Mean Woman Blues'....does it for me

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:32 pm

I can't see the vid right ow, but he did a sort of Moonwalk once. Spontaneous . Not precise, but you wish he'd have seriously applied himself to movement.

But he rarely did things that way. He didn't "study." With acting, moving, most anything. He had startling upper body control, and unusual balance. He could "roll" his body. I wouldn't call it "masculine" just to unfairly dis Michael. It was more spontaneous. And more with the chest.

We often wish Elvis "applied himself" more, but he did okay his own way.

rjm

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:12 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis' dance moves were masculine whereas Jackson's were feminine. Elvis could really move in a way that not many had ever seen. Jackie Wilson himself got some of his incredible style and moves from Elvis. He even publicly admitted to it. In fact, a lot of African American entertainers have studied Elvis and taken from his actions on stage. Today, all of the top dance performers have to have a choreographer when doing dance numbers. Elvis never had a choreographer to tell him how to dance a certain way. His moves were all natural. He did whatever he felt at that particular moment.

You pack a lot of ... curious comments into a single paragraph.

Jackson's dance moves were no more "feminine' than one of the men who inspired him, Marcel Marceau. Wilson's "public" admissions are unknown to me, as well as the absurd suggestion of "a lot of African-American entertainers" studying and taking cues from Presley. And the statement that "Elvis never had a choreographer" reveals a superficial understanding of our guy.

Even the video posted here speaks of MGM choreographer Alex Romero's work with Elvis on the famous "Jailhouse Rock" sequence. Actor/dancer Russ Tamblyn also gave Elvis some dance tips for the film, after Presley visited him at his Los Angeles beach house.

Elvis took choreography from Charles O'Curran in "Loving You" and many other Paramount films to follow. Famed choreographer David Winters came to "Viva Las Vegas" after a recommendation from Ann-Margret.

630800_w Winters_Garr.JPG
David Winters (dark sweatshirt), Teri Garr, Elvis - filming "Viva Las Vegas," July-August 1963

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Winters_(choreographer)

Winters got a thank you note from producer Joe Pasternak after his work on Elvis' next MGM project, "Girl Happy."

650500_Letter_from_Joe_Pasternak.JPG
Producer Joe Pasternak Letter to David Winters, circa May 1965

"Maid In Paris," starring Ann-Margret, was released by MGM in 1966.

There's always more to learn when it comes to Elvis!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Our guy's moves were phenomenal on stage, just how his body was completely in tune with the beat. Even in the sit down shows, his feet would be in perfect tempo with the drums.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Joe Car wrote:Our guy's moves were phenomenal on stage, just how his body was completely in tune with the beat. Even in the sit down shows, his feet would be in perfect tempo with the drums.

What drums?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Our guy's moves were phenomenal on stage, just how his body was completely in tune with the beat. Even in the sit down shows, his feet would be in perfect tempo with the drums.

What drums?

Ha...you know what he means, John... DJ's drumming on the Guitar case ! :D

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 am

Dan_T wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What drums?

Let's not forget Alan on Guitar Case!

rjm

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:Elvis' dance moves were masculine whereas Jackson's were feminine. Elvis could really move in a way that not many had ever seen. Jackie Wilson himself got some of his incredible style and moves from Elvis. He even publicly admitted to it. In fact, a lot of African American entertainers have studied Elvis and taken from his actions on stage. Today, all of the top dance performers have to have a choreographer when doing dance numbers. Elvis never had a choreographer to tell him how to dance a certain way. His moves were all natural. He did whatever he felt at that particular moment.

You pack a lot of ... curious comments into a single paragraph.

Jackson's dance moves were no more "feminine' than one of the men who inspired him, Marcel Marceau. Wilson's "public" admissions are unknown to me, as well as the absurd suggestion of "a lot of African-American entertainers" studying and taking cues from Presley. And the statement that "Elvis never had a choreographer" reveals a superficial understanding of our guy.

Even the video posted here speaks of MGM choreographer Alex Romero's work with Elvis on the famous "Jailhouse Rock" sequence. Actor/dancer Russ Tamblyn also gave Elvis some dance tips for the film, after Presley visited him at his Los Angeles beach house.

Elvis took choreography from Charles O'Curran in "Loving You" and many other Paramount films to follow. Famed choreographer David Winters came to "Viva Las Vegas" after a recommendation from Ann-Margret.

630800_w Winters_Garr.JPG
David Winters (dark sweatshirt), Teri Garr, Elvis - filming "Viva Las Vegas," July-August 1963

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Winters_(choreographer)

Winters got a thank you note from producer Joe Pasternak after his work on Elvis' next MGM project, "Girl Happy."

650500_Letter_from_Joe_Pasternak.JPG
Producer Joe Pasternak Letter to David Winters, circa May 1965

"Maid In Paris," starring Ann-Margret, was released by MGM in 1966.

There's always more to learn when it comes to Elvis!

I'm guessing this was for the "Do The Clam" sequence?

Thanks Doc for posting these.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am

promiseland wrote:I'm guessing this was for the "Do The Clam" sequence?

Thanks Doc for posting these.

You're welcome. Sometimes, you just gotta set the record straight.

David Winters probably handled any sequence in "Girl Happy" or "Viva Las Vegas" than involved music and movement.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:57 pm

Dan_T wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What drums?

Yes, exactly. ::rocks

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:49 pm

:facep:

phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 pm

David Winters was born David Weizer in London, England and moved to the US in 1953. The first time that I saw him was in the 1956 film 'Rock Rock Rock' which also starred Tuesday Weld (Wild In The Country). He also had a big part in 'West Side Story'.

He was the cho'reographer on 3 Elvis films 'Viva Las Vegas', 'Girl Happy' and 'Tickle Me'.

My favourite Elvis stage moves are from the 1957 Tupelo show. Real cool and natural without a cho'reographer in sight!!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 pm

LAS VEGAS AUGUST 1974
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:David Winters was born David Weizer in London, England and moved to the US in 1953. The first time that I saw him was in the 1956 film 'Rock Rock Rock' which also starred Tuesday Weld (Wild In The Country). He also had a big part in 'West Side Story'.

He was the choreographer on 3 Elvis films 'Viva Las Vegas', 'Girl Happy' and 'Tickle Me'.

My favourite Elvis stage moves are from the 1957 Tupelo show. Real cool and natural without a choreographer in sight!!

Winters played "A-rab" in the 1961 film version of "West Side Story," but originated the role of "Baby John" in the earlier Broadway smash.

He would later have an unusual visit with Elvis in February 1974, at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Hope SuspiciousMind is enjoying all of this!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:07 pm

steevefry wrote:LAS VEGAS AUGUST 1974

Moonwalk by Elvis.gif

Cute, but that ain't the moonwalk move a-tall.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:David Winters was born David Weizer in London, England and moved to the US in 1953. The first time that I saw him was in the 1956 film 'Rock Rock Rock' which also starred Tuesday Weld (Wild In The Country). He also had a big part in 'West Side Story'.

He was the choreographer on 3 Elvis films 'Viva Las Vegas', 'Girl Happy' and 'Tickle Me'.

My favourite Elvis stage moves are from the 1957 Tupelo show. Real cool and natural without a choreographer in sight!!

Winters played "A-rab" in the 1961 film version of "West Side Story," but originated the role of "Baby John" in the earlier Broadway smash.

He would later have an unusual visit with Elvis in February 1974, at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Hope SuspiciousMind is enjoying all of this!

Doc I haven't heard about the visit in February 1974, what happened?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
steevefry wrote:LAS VEGAS AUGUST 1974

Moonwalk by Elvis.gif

Cute, but that ain't the moonwalk move a-tall.

That's not it. Wrong time, everything. The one I'm talking about is different. It happens very quickly, all in the flush of movement, swirl to the stage back, swirl around to the front, and then, don't blink, he's going backwards. It's like his whole body is trembling, his chest had been quaking. He's just caught up in movement. In "One Night," from TTWII SE. It's not a "perfect" moonwalk: it's not "straight" - but hit the slow or pause button. It's all very fast and spontaneous, and doesn't last long.

rjm (also, an animated gif doesn't let us see the context of it -- would like to see that one, in fuller form; in any event, what he did in 1970, whatever you want to call it, was WAY more exciting!)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am

Chris Roberts wrote:Doc I haven't heard about the visit in February 1974, what happened?

Well, David caught the show with his girlfriend, they were invited up to Elvis' suite afterwards.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Wilson's "public" admissions are unknown to me, as well as the absurd suggestion of "a lot of African-American entertainers" studying and taking cues from Presley.

SuspiciousMind is presumably referring to this quote that has been attributed to Wilson:

"A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis."

Wilson was overstating things of course (assuming he really said it), but it's nice to see Elvis' influence being recognised by a fellow performer. Wilson is an interesting case because there seemed to be genuine mutual admiration between the pair, and they borrowed from each other.

It's an excellent video that captures some of Elvis' most iconic dance moves. The guy could really tear up the stage.