Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The New Boxset

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:14 am

My pleasure guys.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:06 am

This looks like a lovely set with everything in one, but the supply isn't that great found ONE after looking on amazon and ebay.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:17 am

Just looking how little is included, it is obvious to me that the running time is probably in the 60-65 minute range for each DVD which
means this could have been a 5 disc set. They really stretched it out.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Here is the box set for $94.99 plus $14.99 shipping on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-NEW-ELVIS ... 43b876b026

Since it retails for $79.99 plus tax and a COSTCO membership costs $55.00, this isn't a bad price. He only ships to the U.S.A.
MT

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thank you for posting such a detailed and informative overview!
It is disappointing to read how much of the 10 DVDs are stolen from other sources, though.

Surely if it is licensed by EPE, it is not "Stolen" as you state?
I thought it was an official release.

If so, it is nothing more than what SONY/BMG/RCA do with their recycling of Elvis' ‘Greatest Hits’ on CD every year or so.

Cheers
Piers

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am

I would buy 6, 7, or 8 seperately but dislike having to buy so much footagte again for them.

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 pm

PiersEIN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thank you for posting such a detailed and informative overview!
It is disappointing to read how much of the 10 DVDs are stolen from other sources, though.

Surely if it is licensed by EPE, it is not "Stolen" as you state?
I thought it was an official release.

If so, it is nothing more than what SONY/BMG/RCA do with their recycling of Elvis' ‘Greatest Hits’ on CD every year or so.

Cheers
Piers

Yes Stolen from them selves very funny, it’s called re-packaging, but it is a shame you can only buy it in Canada and parts of the USA.
Although my copy is in my postman’s van ready for delivery tomorrow, and I am looking forwards to going through these latter DVD’s just to see what’s new (to me anyway).

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:17 am

As expected mine arrived today, a really nice box set similar in size to "The Final Curtain" Box set but just a touch wider on the spine.
I have only watched the three DVD's that are of any real interest and they are:
Elvis In The Army
Not much footage exists of Elvis in the army, but what we do have is a fascinating document of a unique time in Elvis’ life. On this DVD you will find Elvis’ induction into the U.S Army, footage of him in Germany, and also his triumphant return to home soil in 1960, where he is given the honourable discharge with the rank of sergeant.

Elvis Behind The Scenes
Although Elvis was an accustomed to being in front of the camera, the filming didn’t always stop when he was of stage. With the advent of new cine-camera technology, it was possible for the first time to make a personal recording in informal circumstances. These rare clips show another side of Elvis the showman – relaxed and at ease. The clips include Elvis at Graceland, on the set of Paradise Hawaiian Style, riding horseback and more..

The Press Conferences

Elvis could be at his most charming in his many meetings with the press, which also served to document momentous times in his career as they happened. Here you’ll find press chat with Elvis, ranging from his 1960 Graceland post-Army interview to the famous Madison Square Garden concert press conference in 1972.

These are not very long DVD’s as mentioned in earlier post but from the DVD’s in the box they are the gems of the box set, some nice clips some that I have not seen and in some cases better quality than we have had before too.

My only gripe for these discs bar the Press Conference one, as that has full sound throughout but the other two have the majority of it silent footage so what have they done, a Joe Tunzi special, but give them there due the music is not as mundane as Tunzi uses.
DVD.jpg

So I have created my own 11th DVD comprising of the 3 DVD’s and put Elvis on the soundtrack instead, and it lifts it up a notch and makes it a better viewing experience.
cover.jpg

The three books come in this slip case:
Book 1 – Memories Of Elvis
This is not my thing, but from what I have seen to-date in other similar products, this version isn’t too bad, I have had a quick look through it, I am sure I will have a more in-depth view at some stage, but if you like this kind of stuff then you’ll love it.
Book 2 – The DVD Archive
10 DVD’s in slip cases again not the best way of storing discs but it’s a sturdy package and made to last, again most we have had released individually over the years, but I will watch them all again just to see if they differ in any way to the original outings, but not just now.
Book 3 – King Of Rock And Roll
256 page hard back book tracing the life of Elvis, this I have glance at again will read fully once the time allows but from first glances I have seen better, a lot of the pictures seem to be cutouts and place on the page with text and bits and bobs around it, good enough idea. Just the cutting out could have been done a lot neater on most pictures.
Project1.jpg

And not forgetting the Certificate of Authenticity, shame they aren’t numbered though
On the whole a nice package, just a shame its not easiest thing to get a hold of, especially when its called “Elvis The Official Collectors Edition
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.