Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The New Boxset

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 pm

ty Barry for sharing this - love ya scans -have a good week and happy holidays ::rocks

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Great scans as usual Barry, looks like a nice set, decent presentation too .........

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks Barry, looks cool.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:01 am

This is the long awaited anthology Graceland has been working on for years!!! :facep: :roll: :smt003 :smt006 :smt005

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 pm

How many of you have purchased the set?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Looks nice,thanks for taking the time to scan and post.

norrie

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:12 am

I figured it would not be long before this set showed up on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-O ... 51a5686e92

I think it's much over-priced, but as time goes by the price will come down.

MT

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:37 am

MysteryTrain wrote:I figured it would not be long before this set showed up on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-O ... 51a5686e92

I think it's much over-priced, but as time goes by the price will come down.

MT

Retail here is $79.99 plus 5 percent tax.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks for all the nice comments.
Merry Christmas, and all the best in 2013.
Barry

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:32 am

10 DVD's for $80.

Sounds like a deal to me.

JAT sells theirs for $40 each.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Where can this be bought?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Mike Eder wrote:Where can this be bought?

It is a Costco Exclusive.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Nice pics. Thanks for posting. What's the content of the DVD's?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Barry wrote:How many of you have purchased the set?

I didn't even know about the set until your topic! I don't plan on buying it unless there is something new and worthwhile on the DVDs.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 am

Yes, is there something NEW on the TEN DVD's? Thank you.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 am

Simon1 wrote:Yes, is there something NEW on the TEN DVD's? Thank you.

Again, this is what was new to me.
Extended Army Induction Footage,
Elvis fooling around on some of the movie sets
Elvis at graceland, some new footage riding horses.
Extended Houston Press Interview.
Perhaps some of you have seen all of the above before?

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:46 am

Barry wrote:

Thank you Barry. How long is the Houston press conference on this set? I have about 9 minutes on Hot Shots Vol. 3. Thanks in advance.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:02 am

Simon1 wrote:
Barry wrote:

Thank you Barry. How long is the Houston press conference on this set? I have about 9 minutes on Hot Shots Vol. 3. Thanks in advance.

Simon, yes it's about 10 minutes.
Also the press conference from the Hilton Hawaiian Village Nov/20/1972 is on the disc, which is only a few minutes.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:27 am

Any footage on the dvd, or mainly black screen with audio only?
I've heard that's fashion nowadays!

On a serious note, looks like a quality set and thanks for posting

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 am

Thank you Barry for your time and replies.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 am

Simon1 wrote:Thank you Barry for your time and replies.

Simon1, You're Welcome.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:51 am

carolynlm wrote:It has 'Deagostini' on the front cover....is this another presentation of the series they brought out a few years ago?

The Artifacts certainly look the same

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:45 pm

If anyone is still interested in the content of the dvd's, here is my attempt:

Disc 1 is identical to "Elvis: #1 Hit Performances" DVD released in 2007.

Disc 2 is identical to "Elvis: #1 Hit Performances & More Vol. 2" DVD released in 2008.

Disc 3, 4 & 5 represent Elvis' three Ed Sullivan appearances. All three shows are shown in their entirety. This footage is also available on the 3 disc set "Elvis: The Ed
Sullivan Shows", which is a great set and includes quite a few extras that are NOT included here.

Disc 6 "Behind the Scenes" You will have seen a lot of this footage, but there is quite a bit I haven't seen before. It is all shot in 8mm style home video and it is all in
full color and without sound. The producers have added a generic insturmental soundtrack. 28 minutes total.
-Fans hanging out at the gates. Uncle Vester drives some of them up to the back parking area in the pink jeep. It appears to have been filmed by a fan and I
guess it's shot in the late 50's or early 60's.
-Elvis and a group of guys playing touch football in a lot. Elvis' shirt sleeve gets ripped off. Then, they're riding bumper cars. I think this footage is from the late
50's. I don't recall seeing it before.
-Arriving at Graceland in a white car and signing autographs from the car, circa 1969 and similar footage circa 1968.
-Meeting with fans from horseback over the wall at Graceland, circa 1970. Wearing a blue shirt and scarf. Some of this I have seen before, but not all.
-Same scenario as above but in a black leather jacket, wintertime circa 1968.
-Driving the bus cross-country, horsing around on the side of the highway. I've seen all of this before.
-Riding horses at Graceland, wearing two different brown western jackets and cowboy hat, circa 1967.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Paradise, Hawaiian Style. Don't remember ever seeing any of this.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Stay Away, Joe. Riding a bronc machine, visiting with Burgess Meredith and rehearsing a fight scene on top of
a moving car. Haven't seen most of this before.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Clambake, wearing the white suit with the black track marks, talking on a car phone and shots of the fans on
the street watching the production. A lot of this I have seen before.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Live A Little, Love A Little. Includes filming the dunebuggy scene and feeding the whales / dolphins.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Charro!

Disc 7 "In The Army" You will have seen a lot of this before, though there is some content new to me. Think of it as an much extended version of the Army sequence
from the movie "This Is Elvis". All footage is black & white and silent with a generic insturmental, except for a few sequences which do contain sound.
Running time is 25:40.
- Arriving at Memphis processing center with parents and friends 3-24-58. Elvis gets his physical and is sworn in. The swearing in includes sound.
- Quite a bit of the haircut footage, probably close to 'real time'. 3-25-58, Fort Chaffee, AR. Extended footage of the uniform fitting.
- Arriving via ship in Bremerhaven, Germany 10-1-58.
- Brief clip of press conference with sound at the Military Ocean Terminal in Brooklyn, NY 9-22-58.
- Footage boarding Air Force plane and arriving back in New Jersey during snow storm 3-2-60.
- Press conference sitting at table with a bunch of microphones. Nancy Sinatra welcomes him back. All silent footage.
- Arriving home on "The Elvis Train".
- Brief clip of Elvis being asked a question back at Graceland in the office. With sound.

Disc 8 "The Press Conferences" Again, you will have seen most of this, but there is still some new content to me. This is all in color, except for the 1960 segment,
and all is with original sound. Running time is 40:29.
- Graceland 3-7-60. At thirteen minutes, it appears to be complete.
- Houston Astroworld Hotel 2-27-70. This is where he is wearing the red and white outfit. There is some footage here I haven't seen before. 8min 25sec long.
- New York Hilton (MSG) 6-9-72. Includes footage from an MSG show in white jumpsuit splice in amongst the interview segments. This footage is also on the
"Prince from Another Planet" CD/DVD set. 12minutes.
- Las Vegas Hilton 9-4-72. This is to promote the Aloha show. Includes a bit of footage of the outside of the Hilton and a local news report about the press
conference which includes footage not shown in the conference clip itself. 6 minutes.
- Hilton Hawaiian Village 11-20-72. About one minute of footage, announcing the Aloha show. Elvis is wearing a black jacket. You've probably seen this before.

Disc 9 "The Radio Interviews" This is audio with a photo show of pictures of Elvis during the timeframe the interviews are taking place. Running time is 40:45.
- Mae Axton interviews Elvis, 1955
- Paul Wilder interviews Elvis, 1956 (Also known as the TV Guide interview)
- The Truth About Me, 1956

Disc 10 "Elvis: Karate King" This is all raw footage from September 1974 filmed in preperation for a karate documentary which was never made. Elvis is wearing the
red trimmed karate outfit as seen in "This Is Elvis. The quality is not fantastic and it features the raw audio, but it's hard to hear what people are saying as
no one is mic'ed since the original was going to be narrated over. Running time is 31:30. If you are interested in this footage, I would highly recommend you
seek out the DVD "Elvis Presley Gladiators". It contains all of this footage as well as alternate angles as filmed by three different cameras and features a nice
informative commentary by Wayne Carmen, who was there and knew all the participants.

In the end, the question "Is it worth it?" can only be answered by you. I paid $79.99 for it at Costco, and a year from now I won't miss the money. I have a large video
collection of Elvis footage, and have added some unseen footage to my collection with this set. Also, the replica artifacts collection has some pretty cool stuff in it and the book on his life is nice. Most of the photos in it are familiar, but as always seems to be the case with a book like this, there are several shots that are new to me. For me personally, yes it was worth it.
Hope this is helpful to someone.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Thank you for posting such a detailed and informative overview!

It is disappointing to read how much of the 10 DVDs are stolen from other sources, though.

masterjedielvis wrote:If anyone is still interested in the content of the dvd's, here is my attempt:

Disc 1 is identical to "Elvis: #1 Hit Performances" DVD released in 2007.

Disc 2 is identical to "Elvis: #1 Hit Performances & More Vol. 2" DVD released in 2008.

Disc 3, 4 & 5 represent Elvis' three Ed Sullivan appearances. All three shows are shown in their entirety. This footage is also available on the 3 disc set "Elvis: The Ed
Sullivan Shows", which is a great set and includes quite a few extras that are NOT included here.

Disc 6 "Behind the Scenes" You will have seen a lot of this footage, but there is quite a bit I haven't seen before. It is all shot in 8mm style home video and it is all in
full color and without sound. The producers have added a generic insturmental soundtrack. 28 minutes total.
-Fans hanging out at the gates. Uncle Vester drives some of them up to the back parking area in the pink jeep. It appears to have been filmed by a fan and I
guess it's shot in the late 50's or early 60's.
-Elvis and a group of guys playing touch football in a lot. Elvis' shirt sleeve gets ripped off. Then, they're riding bumper cars. I think this footage is from the late
50's. I don't recall seeing it before.
-Arriving at Graceland in a white car and signing autographs from the car, circa 1969 and similar footage circa 1968.
-Meeting with fans from horseback over the wall at Graceland, circa 1970. Wearing a blue shirt and scarf. Some of this I have seen before, but not all.
-Same scenario as above but in a black leather jacket, wintertime circa 1968.
-Driving the bus cross-country, horsing around on the side of the highway. I've seen all of this before.
-Riding horses at Graceland, wearing two different brown western jackets and cowboy hat, circa 1967.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Paradise, Hawaiian Style. Don't remember ever seeing any of this.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Stay Away, Joe. Riding a bronc machine, visiting with Burgess Meredith and rehearsing a fight scene on top of
a moving car. Haven't seen most of this before.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Clambake, wearing the white suit with the black track marks, talking on a car phone and shots of the fans on
the street watching the production. A lot of this I have seen before.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Live A Little, Love A Little. Includes filming the dunebuggy scene and feeding the whales / dolphins.
-Behind the scenes footage during the filming of Charro!

Disc 7 "In The Army" You will have seen a lot of this before, though there is some content new to me. Think of it as an much extended version of the Army sequence
from the movie "This Is Elvis". All footage is black & white and silent with a generic insturmental, except for a few sequences which do contain sound.
Running time is 25:40.
- Arriving at Memphis processing center with parents and friends 3-24-58. Elvis gets his physical and is sworn in. The swearing in includes sound.
- Quite a bit of the haircut footage, probably close to 'real time'. 3-25-58, Fort Chaffee, AR. Extended footage of the uniform fitting.
- Arriving via ship in Bremerhaven, Germany 10-1-58.
- Brief clip of press conference with sound at the Military Ocean Terminal in Brooklyn, NY 9-22-58.
- Footage boarding Air Force plane and arriving back in New Jersey during snow storm 3-2-60.
- Press conference sitting at table with a bunch of microphones. Nancy Sinatra welcomes him back. All silent footage.
- Arriving home on "The Elvis Train".
- Brief clip of Elvis being asked a question back at Graceland in the office. With sound.

Disc 8 "The Press Conferences" Again, you will have seen most of this, but there is still some new content to me. This is all in color, except for the 1960 segment,
and all is with original sound. Running time is 40:29.
- Graceland 3-7-60. At thirteen minutes, it appears to be complete.
- Houston Astroworld Hotel 2-27-70. This is where he is wearing the red and white outfit. There is some footage here I haven't seen before. 8min 25sec long.
- New York Hilton (MSG) 6-9-72. Includes footage from an MSG show in white jumpsuit splice in amongst the interview segments. This footage is also on the
"Prince from Another Planet" CD/DVD set. 12minutes.
- Las Vegas Hilton 9-4-72. This is to promote the Aloha show. Includes a bit of footage of the outside of the Hilton and a local news report about the press
conference which includes footage not shown in the conference clip itself. 6 minutes.
- Hilton Hawaiian Village 11-20-72. About one minute of footage, announcing the Aloha show. Elvis is wearing a black jacket. You've probably seen this before.

Disc 9 "The Radio Interviews" This is audio with a photo show of pictures of Elvis during the timeframe the interviews are taking place. Running time is 40:45.
- Mae Axton interviews Elvis, 1955
- Paul Wilder interviews Elvis, 1956 (Also known as the TV Guide interview)
- The Truth About Me, 1956

Disc 10 "Elvis: Karate King" This is all raw footage from September 1974 filmed in preperation for a karate documentary which was never made. Elvis is wearing the
red trimmed karate outfit as seen in "This Is Elvis. The quality is not fantastic and it features the raw audio, but it's hard to hear what people are saying as
no one is mic'ed since the original was going to be narrated over. Running time is 31:30. If you are interested in this footage, I would highly recommend you
seek out the DVD "Elvis Presley Gladiators". It contains all of this footage as well as alternate angles as filmed by three different cameras and features a nice
informative commentary by Wayne Carmen, who was there and knew all the participants.

In the end, the question "Is it worth it?" can only be answered by you. I paid $79.99 for it at Costco, and a year from now I won't miss the money. I have a large video
collection of Elvis footage, and have added some unseen footage to my collection with this set. Also, the replica artifacts collection has some pretty cool stuff in it and the book on his life is nice. Most of the photos in it are familiar, but as always seems to be the case with a book like this, there are several shots that are new to me. For me personally, yes it was worth it.
Hope this is helpful to someone.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Ty for sharing this - Doc is right in what he says about footage tho they sure are from other sources -
Sounds interesting -
Thanks Buddy -