Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: MRS (EP) ‘Such A Night in Pearl Harbor’ Press release !

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:So anybody here know what source they used for this release and where did they get it?

This is a reach but...

i love the vinyl set of this :D :D bought it 2 years back for a price of 35$

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:58 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:
Played it a dozen times already! I love it!

Totally agree with PiersEIN's outstanding review on EIN..."Elvis' obvious enjoyment is apparent as he is once again on stage"..."now the audio sounds much, much richer plus all those old extremely annoying level fluctuations and tape dropouts have been fixed ..."this new audio improvement makes this concert a thoroughly more enjoyable listening experience even if not professionally recorded"..."includes 22 photos as well as some press cuttings. All the shots of Elvis on stage in his gold lame jacket are great to look at while listening to the CD"..."A classic Elvis concert beautifully remastered for 2012 and packed with quality photos and memorabilia".

'Such A Night in Pearl Harbor' MRS Book/CD review - by Piers Beagley
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cd_review_s ... arbor.html

THANKS EPA.

FTD did have the chance to re-release this FABULOUS concert. In fact Roger Semon contacted me for artwork for it over 5 years ago.
Sadly they missed the boat and the MRS "Studio D" audio engineer has probably produced the best audio quality release that we will ever get.
Ernst was offered another audio upgrade but he didn't think it worthwhile releasing.

With the 100 page book and BEST sounding version of this great concert, how can it not be worth buying?

Cheers,
Piers

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm

JohanD wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:So anybody here know what source they used for this release and where did they get it?

This is a reach but...

It "may" be that source, but whatever it may be: it sounds better on the MRS version.

I don't have any issue with it sounding "better" on the MRS treatment of this show (sound enhancement can be done on a home computer these days)... but there's no mystery as to their source.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I don't have any issue with it sounding "better" on the MRS treatment of this show (sound enhancement can be done on a home computer these days)... but there's no mystery as to their source.

It is mysterious how some always dance around this fact, though. ;-)

Cheers,
Doc

Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I don't have any issue with it sounding "better" on the MRS treatment of this show (sound enhancement can be done on a home computer these days)... but there's no mystery as to their source.

Cheers,
Doc

It's too bad then, that SONY / BMG didn't have the time, manpower, expertise or foresight to upgrade this show in the way that MRS have. And the MRS packaging is superb.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Cheers,
Doc

It's too bad then, that SONY / BMG didn't have the time, manpower, expertise or foresight to upgrade this show in the way that MRS have. And the MRS packaging is superb.

Or the Doc's partner old Gravel Roads venture of "For God & Country" :smt003 :smt005 :smt003 :smt005 :smt003 :smt006

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:50 am

Here's some tantalizing snippets!

phpBB [video]

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 am

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Cheers,
Doc

It's too bad then, that SONY / BMG didn't have the time, manpower, expertise or foresight to upgrade this show in the way that MRS have.

One cannot "upgrade" when one is simply copying an RCA source.

Besides, would you have not complained about "yet another reissue" RCA was "making" you purchase? ;-)

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:18 am

NO, not, if like the MRS package it was a genuine sound improvement, included lots of extra audio and presented with a gorgeous book. I would only have complained if it was yet another '76 concert with the same old songs, badly mastered in an ugly digipak, a lot like some FTD releases. :P

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 am

Tony.. wrote:NO, not, if like the MRS package it was a genuine sound improvement, included lots of extra audio ...

:lol:

How did they "improve" the sound of the RCA source?

And "lots of extra audio"? Impossible.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:NO, not, if like the MRS package it was a genuine sound improvement, included lots of extra audio ...

I don't know how it was improved because I wasn't involved and you obviously have neither bought it or heard it. But you may as well throw the old RCA / BMG mess away unless you like to hear gaps during songs, clicking noises, fade-outs and the like. And the extra audio refers to the radio broadcast and other bits included on the low priced MRS package. I'm sorry if this hurts.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

There is not extra audio. The concert length is about the same.
The end annoucement may be longer, I haven't checked.
But, the improvement in sound is definetally there.
There are a couple of tape glitches that are GONE. Like magic.
The packaging is excellant.

And this kind of arguement goes along with the Girl Happy thread.
You have been going on and on about how the Girl Happy FTD needed to be upgraded and yet, you
can't find a reason why FTD should put this out even once?

Where are your priorities? AND Where are Ersnts'? He should have been thinking that this show needed to be upgraded.

But no, he was more focused on a soundtrack that was already out on FTD.

This is probably the best concert that was captured on tape of Elvis and you find the one issued on the box set ions ago to be the best source?

You lose credibility keeping with your current mindset. Time to re-visit this concert via MRS.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 am

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I don't know how it was improved because I wasn't involved and you obviously have neither bought it or heard it. But you may as well throw the old RCA / BMG mess away unless you like to hear gaps during songs, clicking noises, fade-outs and the like. And the extra audio refers to the radio broadcast and other bits included on the low priced MRS package. I'm sorry if this hurts.

It is now enjoyable to listen to , It is very well packaged with a nice book and it isn`t expensive, What is there to complain about ?, That`s a rhetorical question btw.

Alan.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:45 am

Tony.. wrote:I don't know how it was improved ...

OK, thank you.

Tony.. wrote:... the extra audio refers to the radio broadcast and other bits included ...

All of this ephemera has been available for years, nothing new a-tall. But, hey, if it floats your boat, right on!

Thanks for confirming nothing "new" was involved with the concert recording, as this would be impossible, as I wrote.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:28 am

robg wrote:nice spin doc but total rubbish as usual on this.
perhaps you can explain how god and country was going to be improved in sound, oh no point its not come out? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :oops: :oops: :oops:
and the biggest disapontment for you your cd sleeve notes are on the floor next t the bin, get over it, time to move on. to the next mrs release i am sure you'll have lots to bitch about there too. :oops: :oops: :facep:

He is too caught up in the political aspect of the Elvis world for any of his opinions to be considered valid.

He is trying to say the the quality on the Elvis aron Presley box set and the MRS set are identical and no improvements could be made.

But as anyone who owns BOTH sets knows, that is pure hogwash.

And what is taking Ernst so long in upgrading that "Girl Happy" soundtrack again?

That should be an annual thing.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 am

perhaps you can explain how god and country was going to be improved in sound, oh no point its not come out? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :oops: :oops: :oops:
and the biggest disapontment for you your cd sleeve notes are on the floor next t the bin, get over it, time to move on. to the next mrs release i am sure you'll have lots to bitch about there too. :oops: :oops: :facep:

A good reminder.
yes, drjohncarpenter was pretty Gung-Ho about that 'god and country' project wasn't he!?!
That was going to be SO much better than the MRS version. :smt003

Cheers, Piers

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 am

A good post is always worth repeating.

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Cheers,
Doc

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:17 pm

I bought this for £12 recently in the HMV "going down the toilet for years despite having a high street monopoly" sale.

Seems worth that, although I admit I haven't listened to the EAP box version for ages, although I still have that box set.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:43 pm

Not to argue the points of sound etc, I had a thought about what really could have been done with the re release on Sony of this recording.

A recent article I read stated hat the memorial is in need of upgrade work. A legitimate release by Sony aimed at a market to once again raise funds for the memorial using this recording could have generated some new money to go toward the project.

Massive news and ad campaigns could have been mounted with this Patriotic goal in mind. All or most proceeds from the sale of a single disc release would have Elvis once again coming to the aid of this landmark once again.

Sony could have written the project off as a charitable donation, the public would be made aware of the original story, the release could have found a niche where a recording of this quality would have a great impact in todays world- and Sony would maintain control of the recording in this fashion.

Maybe such an idea will find its way to the powers that be and such a project might even see the light of day. I'm feel Elvis would approve if he could- the Colonel might even see the merit in such an idea.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm

I agree in part,however, the historical relevance of the release in the context I outlined supersedes the quality issue. A single disc could be marketed and sold rather inexpensively. Also, it would not be aimed at a Elvis collector market. It would have a much broader purpose and reason.

a possible a second disc with the actual studio recordings of the songs performed could sweeten the package.

It wouldn't be aimed as a mainstream release. The Patriotic aspect alone could make it the biggest selling disc of recent years.

This could be sold at the site- at a retail level, on TV, internet, at Graceland etc. Military bases and towns. Most Government buildings that have a public traffic (museums, historic sites etc) VFW posts- American Legion posts etc. The news coverage alone would be impressive. Within the reports it would be explained just what the recording was and how it was made.

I also think it would make it very collectible for those who do such.

Simply a thought though.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

robg wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A good post is always worth repeating.

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Cheers,
Doc

Yes it is isn't it? MRS IMPROVED THE SOUND from what ever source used ...

Hook, line and sinker. :lol:

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 pm

robg wrote:My god your one sad fellow, grabbing at the slightest comments, trying to make yourself feel great about yourself?????

Doc, try to get a grip with reality, but in plain old English just for you, we’ll leave your lap dog Matthew out of this bit, your confused enough and you’re the master after all, so what hope is there for him.

Point 1. The recording used for the MRS release, I don’t know where it came from ...

Make a guess.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 am

robg wrote:Bitterness and jealousy not very nice traits, especially for someone who portrays themself as king of the fecc forum.

I never imagined you felt that way about your presence here. ;-)

Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 am

Bottom line is if Ernst hadn't been so concerned about the "Girl Happy" reissue and he had reissued this concert instead, we wouldn't even be having this debate, because
then MRS probably wouldn't have bothered to put it out.

Basically you snooze you lose in the Elvis world.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:51 pm

Love it!! :smt003 Is 'the Doc' an MRSist??? :lol: