Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sherif Hanna Question

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi I have heard the name for years and years but am wondering if anyone knows more about this mega collector and if he still collects.
I know a friend of myne met him in the early 90s and saw lots of his footage (Jailhouse rock outtakes) in great quality, and i know he had a hand in supplying the photos for FTDs The way it was book and cd combo And no doubt has helped in other elvis related projects but does anyone know him what he has in his collection and Is he still a dedicated collector.
The last i heard he lived in california and owns a car buisness true or not id like to ask if anyone can shed light or offer any info on The gentleman in question. ::rocks

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Email Interview With Sherif Hanna

Sep 9, 2001


During our visit to Memphis we met Elvis-collector Sherif Hanna and arranged to have an email interview with him. We'd like to thank Sherif for his cooperation and are glad we can give some background information on the latest FTD-release, The Way It Was.

Can you tell us in short about your "Elvis history", what made you start collecting?

Growing up in the sixties I can recall listening to Elvis on the radio and of course watching reruns of his movies on television. Elvis was always number one with me. As the years went by and as Elvis began to change his look and style in the late sixties, Elvis became even more intriguing. The high collar wardrobe, the jewelry, the look, and of course his spectacular singing voice... it was something totally new and refreshing. This is what eventually lead to my collecting many of Elvis' costumes and personal wardrobe.

As with all Elvis enthusiasts, Elvis' passing left a huge void in my life. The only way to partially fill that was to continue to be active in the collecting aspect. This has lead to what has become a huge twenty something year effort of acquiring vintage film footage, personal effects, vintage negatives, film outtakes rare original tapes, etc. So if anyone reading has any rare stuff in their closet.... just kidding.

In the new book "That's The Way It Was" your collection of TTWII images was used. Can you tell us something about the background of this co-operation with Ernst Jorgensen & Co?

I had acquired many negatives for “That’s The Way It Is” years back and had always hoped to share them with others somehow. With the remake of the movie it presented a golden opportunity to do just that. And who better to do this project with other than the most knowledgeable Elvis historian around, Ernst Jorgensen. Ernst, as you know, worked on the remake of the movie and thus had tremendous info to offer. It was then suggested to do a book/CD combo and release the package through the FTD label. It took some effort to get the whole concept together, this being our first joint venture. There were several issues to resolve, ranging from music track selection, clearance issues, and finally which shots to use. There were several hundred to choose from. I think that was the most difficult part of the whole project. It's hard to find a "bad" shot of Elvis in 1970.

More specific about the book: does the book meet your expectations, or would you do things differently when you would release a book yourself?

As with any new venture, it becomes a learning process that gets refined with future projects. Input and critique are a welcome thing. That's how we get to know what people expect. But overall I must say that Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon did a splendid job on the book/CD package.

Have you any plans ready for future books or other releases? And if so, what would be the theme / subject?

It's a bit too early to tell what is in store for the future. We will wait and see how this project is received by the Elvis world. There is much material ranging from Elvis' childhood through the late 70's that exists on film negative as well as motion picture film element which can be used on projects, IF THE DEMAND IS THERE!!

Perhaps some time in the future, we can go in to further detail on that. Whatever the future may hold, ElvisNews.com will have the first breaking story. (Ed. Thank you!)

Okay, let's go to our default questions, what, in general, is your favorite Elvis stuff?

Favorite Elvis stuff.... I like it all!! I must say I have a bit of a soft spot for Elvis in the early days...anything from that era is always a favorite. I must tell you, sometime back I ran into a squiggly patterned shirt which Elvis wore on the “Love Me Tender”- publicity photo shoot (front cover of British release of “Elvis’Christmas Album”), and that was dynamite. I guess you can say anything different or rare is the cool stuff .

Name your favourite Elvis album.

My favorite Elvis album.... that's a tough one to answer. I would say the American sound studio sessions in 69. In my opinion Elvis' voice was at its peak.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:02 pm

He collects priceless Elvis related items. He has Blue Nail jumpsuit, unseen footage (8,16, 32 mm) like: JR outtakes, complete 1970 Houston Astrodome conference on 16 mm, 1955 8mm 31th May footage of Elvis swimming in the pool, (probably) 1955 16 mm footage of Elvis driving on his pink cadillac in parade in Meridian. Also; Little Mama acetate, Wild in the Country session reels, soundboards and hundreds and hundreds of negatives and transparences etc.

He trades his rarities only for other rarities.
Any photo of him?

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Sherif has been pretty good about sharing his rare materials for the right project (usually associated with Ernst). Frankly, it would be wonderful to learn that he has rare outtakes such as the 1957 Christmas sessions, etc.

MT

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 pm

I doubt he has 1957 Christmas Album outtakes. There's been a long rumour that he may have 1977 Indianapolis soundboard, which he bought from Bruce Jackson.
I wonder where did he get this whole stuff? Like Little Mama acetate?
Amazing...

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Sherif..I have all audience recordings..perhaps we could work out a deal..?.. :wink:

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Sherif..I have all audience recordings..perhaps we could work out a deal..?.. :wink:


I think Indy soundboard isn't worth that much, Cisco ;)
I'd love to know how did he get Little Mama acetate.
Can somebody put some light on it? Doc probably?

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 am

Greg1995 wrote:He has Blue Nail jumpsuit


I understand that this suit is badly damaged. The story that I was told, and I am hoping that it's not true, that this suit was owned at some point by an impersonator who felt that it did not look Elvissy enough and who took it upon himself to make various 'improvements', thus totally ruining the suit.

Anybody out there who has more info on this?

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:07 am

Rock Legend wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:He has Blue Nail jumpsuit


I understand that this suit is badly damaged. The story that I was told, and I am hoping that it's not true, that this suit was owned at some point by an impersonator who felt that it did not look Elvissy enough and who took it upon himself to make various 'improvements', thus totally ruining the suit.

Anybody out there who has more info on this?

Please someone tell me this is false, tragic if not.
Sounds like this person has the be all end all of Elvis collections, such a great thing he shared with us through FTD projects etc.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:19 pm

I heard the same thing, years ago...
Just when I thought every single jumpsuit was at Graceland :/

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Sherif have tried to restore it for sure.
At least he shares his treasures with us right now.
But to see his glorious unseen footage we will have to wait for Elvis Anthology Project probably.
We will all die before that happens knowing EPE.;)

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:27 pm

The suit is, in fact, badly damaged. I don't know if it could ever be restored to it's former glory unless someone like Gene Doucette stepped in to help in the restoration since he was co-designer of the suit.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Are there any photos of the suit in its present state?

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Energy Catalyzer wrote:Email Interview With Sherif Hanna

Sep 9, 2001


During our visit to Memphis we met Elvis-collector Sherif Hanna and arranged to have an email interview with him. We'd like to thank Sherif for his cooperation and are glad we can give some background information on the latest FTD-release, The Way It Was.

Can you tell us in short about your "Elvis history", what made you start collecting?

Growing up in the sixties I can recall listening to Elvis on the radio and of course watching reruns of his movies on television. Elvis was always number one with me. As the years went by and as Elvis began to change his look and style in the late sixties, Elvis became even more intriguing. The high collar wardrobe, the jewelry, the look, and of course his spectacular singing voice... it was something totally new and refreshing. This is what eventually lead to my collecting many of Elvis' costumes and personal wardrobe.

As with all Elvis enthusiasts, Elvis' passing left a huge void in my life. The only way to partially fill that was to continue to be active in the collecting aspect. This has lead to what has become a huge twenty something year effort of acquiring vintage film footage, personal effects, vintage negatives, film outtakes rare original tapes, etc. So if anyone reading has any rare stuff in their closet.... just kidding.

In the new book "That's The Way It Was" your collection of TTWII images was used. Can you tell us something about the background of this co-operation with Ernst Jorgensen & Co?

I had acquired many negatives for “That’s The Way It Is” years back and had always hoped to share them with others somehow. With the remake of the movie it presented a golden opportunity to do just that. And who better to do this project with other than the most knowledgeable Elvis historian around, Ernst Jorgensen. Ernst, as you know, worked on the remake of the movie and thus had tremendous info to offer. It was then suggested to do a book/CD combo and release the package through the FTD label. It took some effort to get the whole concept together, this being our first joint venture. There were several issues to resolve, ranging from music track selection, clearance issues, and finally which shots to use. There were several hundred to choose from. I think that was the most difficult part of the whole project. It's hard to find a "bad" shot of Elvis in 1970.

More specific about the book: does the book meet your expectations, or would you do things differently when you would release a book yourself?

As with any new venture, it becomes a learning process that gets refined with future projects. Input and critique are a welcome thing. That's how we get to know what people expect. But overall I must say that Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon did a splendid job on the book/CD package.

Have you any plans ready for future books or other releases? And if so, what would be the theme / subject?

It's a bit too early to tell what is in store for the future. We will wait and see how this project is received by the Elvis world. There is much material ranging from Elvis' childhood through the late 70's that exists on film negative as well as motion picture film element which can be used on projects, IF THE DEMAND IS THERE!!

Perhaps some time in the future, we can go in to further detail on that. Whatever the future may hold, ElvisNews.com will have the first breaking story. (Ed. Thank you!)

Okay, let's go to our default questions, what, in general, is your favorite Elvis stuff?

Favorite Elvis stuff.... I like it all!! I must say I have a bit of a soft spot for Elvis in the early days...anything from that era is always a favorite. I must tell you, sometime back I ran into a squiggly patterned shirt which Elvis wore on the “Love Me Tender”- publicity photo shoot (front cover of British release of “Elvis’Christmas Album”), and that was dynamite. I guess you can say anything different or rare is the cool stuff .

Name your favourite Elvis album.

My favorite Elvis album.... that's a tough one to answer. I would say the American sound studio sessions in 69. In my opinion Elvis' voice was at its peak.




Thanks so much for all the replys and energy catalayzer thanks for the neat interview, Wow little mama acetate love to hear about this acquisition, a friend did see lots of his jailhouse rock movie outtakes in stunning quality and was blown away, I wonder if FTD could in the future do a dvd package and arrange a deal to get some unseen footage to disc for the faithfull, id be more than willing to put in 660 cdrs of 1970 shows :D or some nice tahoe/vegas memorabilia , but id have to 1st go for the soundboards Bet they were not cheap. Really interesting stuff folks thanks again just goes to show whats in private hands doesnt it. ::rocks

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:44 pm

would like to see the suit in the present state though.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:10 pm

i would like to see his entire collection!

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 pm

mountaindog wrote:i would like to see his entire collection!

+ 1
yes would like to see his vinyl and rare items collection :)

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 pm

merry77 wrote:would like to see the suit in the present state though.



I would like to see that, also.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
merry77 wrote:would like to see the suit in the present state though.



I would like to see that, also.



Agree also lets hope he has treat it with more care and attention than the last time i saw the original porthole suit what a state that was in.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 pm

It would be awesome if Sherif was a member of this forum and could answer our countless questions.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 am

...and who knows how many other 'super collectors' are out there who never speak, never join internet forums or never go out anywhere, that may be sitting on other rare stuff....

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 am

Greg1995 wrote:I doubt he has 1957 Christmas Album outtakes. There's been a long rumour that he may have 1977 Indianapolis soundboard, which he bought from Bruce Jackson.
I wonder where did he get this whole stuff? Like Little Mama acetate?
Amazing...


In all my discussions over an 8 year period which included this tape, Bruce really had no recollection of doing anything with it, it may well be sitting in a box, presuming he ever had possession of it. I put to him the story that an Australian DJ possesses it, and his reaction was that it was possible he used the tape in a radio interview and accidently left it behind.

What we all need to remember is that Bruce didn't have his collection catalogued. In fact, the closest he got to cataloguing it was storing it boxes, which included other artists, plane parts, and bits of radio transmission technology that he tinkered with. One time he called me to say he found the 26 June 1977 tape, but it contained Cat Stevens.

About twelve hours before he died Bruce found two multi track tapes, one was the Alexandria show from 77 (as labelled), and the other simply had "Sweets" textered in black ink on its cardboard cover. He took photos of these for me and emailed me news of their discovery, promising to bring them to Sydney in a few days time. He gave me the specs for the kind of reel to reel machine we would need to play them.

A bit off topic, sorry, but kind of relevant to the quoted comment.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 am

Jim Dandy wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:I doubt he has 1957 Christmas Album outtakes. There's been a long rumour that he may have 1977 Indianapolis soundboard, which he bought from Bruce Jackson.
I wonder where did he get this whole stuff? Like Little Mama acetate?
Amazing...


In all my discussions over an 8 year period which included this tape, Bruce really had no recollection of doing anything with it, it may well be sitting in a box, presuming he ever had possession of it. I put to him the story that an Australian DJ possesses it, and his reaction was that it was possible he used the tape in a radio interview and accidently left it behind.

What we all need to remember is that Bruce didn't have his collection catalogued. In fact, the closest he got to cataloguing it was storing it boxes, which included other artists, plane parts, and bits of radio transmission technology that he tinkered with. One time he called me to say he found the 26 June 1977 tape, but it contained Cat Stevens.

About twelve hours before he died Bruce found two multi track tapes, one was the Alexandria show from 77 (as labelled), and the other simply had "Sweets" textered in black ink on its cardboard cover. He took photos of these for me and emailed me news of their discovery, promising to bring them to Sydney in a few days time. He gave me the specs for the kind of reel to reel machine we would need to play them.

A bit off topic, sorry, but kind of relevant to the quoted comment.

Great post so much mystery surrounding the Bruce Jackson tapes.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:I doubt he has 1957 Christmas Album outtakes. There's been a long rumour that he may have 1977 Indianapolis soundboard, which he bought from Bruce Jackson.
I wonder where did he get this whole stuff? Like Little Mama acetate?
Amazing...


In all my discussions over an 8 year period which included this tape, Bruce really had no recollection of doing anything with it, it may well be sitting in a box, presuming he ever had possession of it. I put to him the story that an Australian DJ possesses it, and his reaction was that it was possible he used the tape in a radio interview and accidently left it behind.

What we all need to remember is that Bruce didn't have his collection catalogued. In fact, the closest he got to cataloguing it was storing it boxes, which included other artists, plane parts, and bits of radio transmission technology that he tinkered with. One time he called me to say he found the 26 June 1977 tape, but it contained Cat Stevens.

About twelve hours before he died Bruce found two multi track tapes, one was the Alexandria show from 77 (as labelled), and the other simply had "Sweets" textered in black ink on its cardboard cover. He took photos of these for me and emailed me news of their discovery, promising to bring them to Sydney in a few days time. He gave me the specs for the kind of reel to reel machine we would need to play them.

A bit off topic, sorry, but kind of relevant to the quoted comment.



Very interesting post Thanks Jim Dandy 8) did you get the chance to own any of Bruces tapes? and did you ever get find out more of what bruce had in his possesion? Im hoping one day we will get to hear mr Keilworths reels especially the soundboard of the astrodome 1970 shows.

Re: Sherif Hanna Question

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 am

Greg1995 wrote:It would be awesome if Sherif was a member of this forum and could answer our countless questions.


I would not count on that ever happening. He is apparently a private person.