Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

'Walk A Mile In My Shoes' detailed book review..

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:59 am

Hi Gang,
I know that the book has already been reviewed on this website - but it has taken a fair while to arrive in sunny Australia.

My expectations were already high but I was more than impressed with both the interviews and the photographic sections.
There are very few photo repeats from other books like '68 @ 40' or Ken Sharp's 'ELVIS Vegas 69' or even the huge Elvis Files.
The interviews are printed very tightly that any other publisher could have doubled the book size & doubled the price!

I've featured a few extracts in the review to give more of an idea.
Like The Elvis Files, Tupelo, Kieran Davis' thorough books or '68 @ 40' and 'ELVIS Vegas 69' this is a very enjoyable read that Elvis MUSIC fans will love.

Ronnie Tutt, Glen Hardin and Jerry Scheff all have plenty to say and these are all good men who have been through some extraordinary times with Elvis.

Arjan Deelen: Many say that Elvis was never the same after his divorce. Did you observe any of that?

Jerry Scheff: One thing that sticks in my mind, and in my wife's mind, 'cause she saw it too... When he had this airplane built, the Lisa Marie, he had it delivered and flown into Las Vegas. He had his daughter Lisa Marie in Las Vegas, and he had to take her back to L.A. to Priscilla. He invited my wife and I to fly along with him, you know, "C'mon and fly in my new plane". "Sure". So Diane and I went out there, and we got on and took off. He gave us a guided tour of the plane, he was very proud of it.
He showed us everything, even the soap and the towels! He was very proud of it. So we got to L.A., landed in Burbank Airport, and Priscilla came on the plane. When she got on the plane, his whole demeanour changed. Diane said to me at the time: "You know, he knows he's blown it with losing her". He was just very, very... On the flight back he was very quiet. I think he was still sad about it.

Go here for full review, extracts and photos>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_review ... shoes.html

Cheers
Piers

Re: 'Walk A Mile In My Shoes' detailed book review..

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 am

Arjan's interviews are first-rate. The book is hardcover and includes a cool bonus CD.

I just ordered a copy!

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:35 am

Thank you, John. I'm very happy with the fact that my interviews have now found a good 'home'.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:05 am

Wow, seems like an incredible book. What's the best way for U.S. residents to order a copy?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am

You can order directly from me.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Rock Legend wrote:You can order directly from me.

How many pages is the book I can't seem to find this info on EIN ?

The book appears to be awesome, and nicely put together from what I've read on it.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

The CD is very nice and I am enjoying the book a lot.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm

Rock Legend: How do I go about ordering from you?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:50 pm

You can contact me at: deelen@elvis.dk
Payment is easiest through PayPal using the e-mail above. For Europe, the price is €40 incl. p&p, ROW is US$50.
Format of the book is A4 hardback, 160 pages color.
Thanks for the nice feedback, everybody!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:48 am

Mike Eder wrote:The CD is very nice and I am enjoying the book a lot.

What's the running time of the Brown Eyed Handsome Man edit?

Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I’m reading the book right now. It’s one of those books that is great to dip into and discover something new each time. I just read James Burton’ recollections about the Palm Spring sessions in ’73, his comments about the rumour about Chuck Berry songs being sung at Stax. I also like the fact that a lot of the lesser-know people like Mary and Ginger Holladay get to tell their story, and that they do it in such an authorative way. While reading these interviews, you get the feeling right away that these are the definitive interviews with them.

Deelen leaves no stone unturned and is not afraid to ask the difficult questions, which makes for compelling reading.

Artwork and the many rare photos are also first class. This is one of my favorite books of the last 10 years, and I am proud of the fact that a book of this standard comes out of the Netherlands… But then again, the Dutch Elvis fans have always the ones to deliver the goods, just think of the many import titles and the Rijff books.

And Deelen is no stranger to the world of Elvis books, since he released “Caught In A Trap” 10 years ago, another one of my favorites. Interestingly enough, he has used the last remaining photos that were not used in that book in this one, and they are quite good too. One thing that really surprises me is the fact that the book costs only 30 euros, especially in a time where Elvis books are getting more & more expensive. Great value for money and full kudos to Deelen & Zantingh for this beauty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:33 am

Walk A Mile In My Shoes arrived today and it is obviously a SUPER-QUALITY project, right down to the delightful "bonus" CD, which holds mostly known rarities, but all of them are in great quality, including the two songs Elvis jammed with Voice in Palm Springs, "Let Me Be The One" and "Spanish Eyes."

The book is hardcover, with high-quality paper and razor-sharp color images, many of which I have not seen before. Arjan Deelen's interviews within are the icing on the cake -- they are as good as it gets, with intelligent and gracefully delivered questions. You learn something new about Elvis after reading them.

Highest recommendation!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:21 am

Wow, that’s high praise indeed! Thank you John, I appreciate that. The book is a labor of love, and I’m happy that it’s so well-received.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Walk A Mile In My Shoes arrived today and it is obviously a SUPER-QUALITY project, right down to the delightful "bonus" CD, which holds mostly known rarities, but all of them are in great quality, including the two songs Elvis jammed with Voice in Palm Springs, "Let Me Be The One" and "Spanish Eyes."

The book is hardcover, with high-quality paper and razor-sharp color images, many of which I have not seen before. Arjan Deelen's interviews within are the icing on the cake -- they are as good as it gets, with intelligent and gracefully delivered questions. You learn something new about Elvis after reading them.
Highest recommendation!

See drjohncarpenter you don't have to disagree with me all the time!
This time you do agree with EIN - and that's so nice to see.
"EIN Verdict: Did the book live up to my expectations - it certainly did and more! Great value-for-money and Highly recommended."
Full review here - and a plethora of book photos and extracts. Get a copy before there are none left.>>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/book_review ... shoes.html

Cheers, Piers

Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:04 am

Ty Piers for review - Loved reading it - Keep up the good work -
God Bless You Buddy - ::rocks

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 am

elvisalisellers wrote:

Yes, I'm curious as well.

What's the running time of the "Brown Eyed Handsome Man" edit?

Rock Legend?... Piers?... Anyone?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 am

elvisalisellers wrote:

1:19 ... and it sounds good. They were all in such awe over Chuck Berry's talent.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

1:19 ... and it sounds good.

Good to know.

The running time closely matches the edit I worked on and posted here last year > Brown Eyed Handsome Man (re-edit) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68521&hilit=brown+eyed+handsome+man

Be nice to compare, to see which one sounds best.

Could you upload it, please?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Could you upload it, please?

It's probably best if you make this request of Rock Legend.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:29 am

Why not just order the book?

Assuming that you are located in the US, for a mere $50 you will get that track on a factory burned CD, which also contains 13 other tracks, most of which are even more interesting than that recording :wink:

More importantly, you will also get my book “Elvis: Walk A Mile In My Shoes”, which contains all my interviews with Elvis’ musicians, backing vocalists, producers and songwriters, as well as about 300 photos. Check out the various reviews online – this book is worthy of a place in your collection. The book is the real meat, the CD was just a last-minute ‘gift’ that came about because of the unusual ‘I Forgot To Remember To Forget' situation.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:57 am

Thanks to the reviews here I'm sold and will order a copy.

norrie

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:05 am

norrie wrote:Thanks to the reviews here I'm sold and will order a copy.

It's a keeper, norrie!

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 am

I just ordered the book, Arjan, but I'd like it personally autographed saying I am your best friend in the whole world.

Looking forward to it.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Rob wrote:I just ordered the book, Arjan, but I'd like it personally autographed saying I am your best friend in the whole world.

Looking forward to it.

Done, and sealed it with a kiss! :wink:

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm

You rock!