Post here your Elvis' pictures

50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Does anyone have any info regarding this please and if anyone has it in better quality, that would be great. Thanks in advance and apologies if it's been posted before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks Andy ,thats a new one for me

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Very welcome Ken, hope you're keeping well bud

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:23 pm

On April 15, 1957 Elvis visited the Holiday Towers apartment of composer Charles Underwood. Elvis brought along his date, Martha Lou Pendergrass.

Mississippi

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Can't ask for more than that can you, thanks very much Mississippi ::rocks

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 pm

AlohaEagle wrote:Very welcome Ken, hope you're keeping well bud

Doing very well mate thanks
hope you are too

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Yep all good at this end, cheers Ken

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Its been around before but not here in a while that I remember. There are others also from that time with Dewey and Charles Underwood. I'll see if I can dig them up and append them. Elvis is holding Underwood's guitar that has a tooled cover he made modeled after, or inspiring, the leather cover he made for Elvis' Gibson J200. He wrongly gets the credit though for the cover on Elvis' D28 that was made in 55 in the basement of OK Houcks by Marcus Van Story.

The girl, one of them, is said to be Bonnie Underwood, but I don't know if its Charle's sister or wife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Great stuff....thanks very much for the extra info and photos there James, appreciate it ::rocks

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 pm

AlohaEagle wrote:Does anyone have any info regarding this please and if anyone has it in better quality, that would be great. Thanks in advance and apologies if it's been posted before.

570415_w Martha Lou Pendergrass.jpg



The photo was posted here in 2008 by The fool, and first published in the Graceland Express in 1989:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35149#p460075


Mississippi wrote:On April 15, 1957 Elvis visited the Holiday Towers apartment of composer Charles Underwood. Elvis brought along his date, Martha Lou Pendergrass.


Good information, right on the money. Dewey Phillips may have been the person who brought Elvis and his date over, after they caught up with Phillips during his radio show.


JamesVRoy wrote:Its been around before but not here in a while that I remember. There are others also from that time with Dewey and Charles Underwood. I'll see if I can dig them up and append them. Elvis is holding Underwood's guitar that has a tooled cover he made modeled after, or inspiring, the leather cover he made for Elvis' Gibson J200. He wrongly gets the credit though for the cover on Elvis' D28 that was made in 55 in the basement of OK Houcks by Marcus Van Story.

The girl, one of them, is said to be Bonnie Underwood, but I don't know if its Charle's sister or wife.


It's his wife. She would be seen as one of the ladies waving good-bye to Elvis, less than one year later.


580324_Bonnie Underwood_Judy Spreckels_Anita Wood_ Patsy Presley_Vesta Presley_Janet Hall.JPG


Group Of Women Watching Elvis Depart
3/24/1958 - Memphis, TN: Friends, sweethearts and relatives display their emotions as 23-year-old rock and roll singer Elvis Presley leaves Memphis for Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, to begin a two-year hitch in the Army.

On hand to see him off are (L to R): Mrs. Bonnie Underwood; Judy Spreckles [sic]; Anita Wood; Patsy Presley, a cousin; Mrs. Vesta Presley, an aunt; and Janet Hall. Miss Spreckles [sic] expressed her loyalty as a Presley fan, despite his recent attraction to Miss Wood, who says she's his best friend not his best girl.


http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/BE046300/group-of-women-watching-elvis-depart

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:Its been around before but not here in a while that I remember. There are others also from that time with Dewey and Charles Underwood. I'll see if I can dig them up and append them. Elvis is holding Underwood's guitar that has a tooled cover he made modeled after, or inspiring, the leather cover he made for Elvis' Gibson J200. He wrongly gets the credit though for the cover on Elvis' D28 that was made in 55 in the basement of OK Houcks by Marcus Van Story.

The girl, one of them, is said to be Bonnie Underwood, but I don't know if its Charle's sister or wife.


It's his wife. She would be seen as one of the ladies waving good-bye to Elvis, less than one year later.



Cool, I suspected as much after seeing Charles wearing a wedding ring but didn't hazard a guess. Nice profile in the Corbis pic, kind of reminds me of Tuesday Weld.

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Cool, I suspected as much after seeing Charles wearing a wedding ring but didn't hazard a guess. Nice profile in the Corbis pic, kind of reminds me of Tuesday Weld.


Think Elvis noticed? ;-)

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Again, some good information there...can't thank you enough DJC ::rocks

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:31 pm

AlohaEagle wrote:Again, some good information there...can't thank you enough DJC ::rocks


My pleasure!

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:04 pm

Here's another I had
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 50's candid, Info needed please

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Cool shot, thanks again James