Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:56 am

Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:The first is of a young boy standing at Elvis' gravesite with an Elvis figurine in his hand.

"I wanted Lego for Christmas. Do we have to keep coming here Grandad?

Really? Sounds like another envious poster. I guess he was having a seizer then in this pic.

I hear the kid sent an angry email to Lisa Marie demanding the release of Elvis In Concert on DVD. He cited it as the inspiration for his future career as an Elvis impersonator and so wants to study it in the best possible quality.

Or..

"Grandad, you said just one crazy pose and then we could go get an ice cream. Who am I supposed to be anyway?"

To you and to others, it may look that way. But truth is, his mom, who is in her 20's, is the one who took him to Graceland and said "he absolutely loved it and was asking so many questions about Elvis". That's a direct quote too.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Justin wrote:Knowing what we know about Elvis fans...no doubt that kid's parents put him up to those shots. SuspiciousMinds, its obvious you get a kick out of seeing these young people at Graceland but how many of these people actually have Elvis on their iPods?

More than you would believe. I used to think kids didn't like Elvis until the social media became public and was amazed at what kids were saying on twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Elvis has over 1 million followers on Facebook now. He has his own twitter account (not really his, but they say it is) and thousands of followers. I'm in my 40's and see him only getting more and more popular as time goes by. It's remarkable!

What makes you think it is kids following Elvis on twitter? Or, to put it another way, what percentage of people who comment on these forums are, say, under 20?

To suggest that I am envious of his everlasting fame (your words, not mine) is one of the most bizarre things I have yet to hear. I'm not quite sure where you got those pictures from, but it seems something of a coincidence to me that all the girls featured in them are remarkably pretty. I would hazard a guess that they were taken by, and for, EPE in order to advertise Graceland.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:07 am

poormadpeter wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:
Justin wrote:Knowing what we know about Elvis fans...no doubt that kid's parents put him up to those shots. SuspiciousMinds, its obvious you get a kick out of seeing these young people at Graceland but how many of these people actually have Elvis on their iPods?

More than you would believe. I used to think kids didn't like Elvis until the social media became public and was amazed at what kids were saying on twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Elvis has over 1 million followers on Facebook now. He has his own twitter account (not really his, but they say it is) and thousands of followers. I'm in my 40's and see him only getting more and more popular as time goes by. It's remarkable!

What makes you think it is kids following Elvis on twitter? Or, to put it another way, what percentage of people who comment on these forums are, say, under 20?

To suggest that I am envious of his everlasting fame (your words, not mine) is one of the most bizarre things I have yet to hear. I'm not quite sure where you got those pictures from, but it seems something of a coincidence to me that all the girls featured in them are remarkably pretty. I would hazard a guess that they were taken by, and for, EPE in order to advertise Graceland.

Um, there's a thing called "search" that allows you to see the profile pics of who all is mentioning his name on twitter and the mass majority are 30 and under to teens. FWIW, Elvis was trending on his birthday on twitter.

As for the pics I have posted, I got them from Instagram under the search of "Graceland". There's over 1,000 pics of Graceland visitors just within the last month. I just picked certain ones. And to say that E.P.E. took them or put them up to it is as naive as it comes. Like I said, envy.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:To you and to others, it may look that way. But truth is, his mom, who is in her 20's, is the one who took him to Graceland and said "he absolutely loved it and was asking so many questions about Elvis". That's a direct quote too.

Thanks for confirming he was dragged along to Graceland by an older relative.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 am

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 am

Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:To you and to others, it may look that way. But truth is, his mom, who is in her 20's, is the one who took him to Graceland and said "he absolutely loved it and was asking so many questions about Elvis". That's a direct quote too.

Thanks for confirming he was dragged along to Graceland by an older relative.

Did I say that? No, I did not. HE is a fan according to mom who is in her 20's. Why do YOU have an issue with a kid liking Elvis? Envious, maybe? :wink:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:40 am

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:Did I say that? No, I did not. HE is a fan according to mom who is in her 20's. Why do YOU have an issue with a kid liking Elvis? Envious, maybe? :wink:

Did I say that? No, I did not.

8)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

SuspicousMinds, please stop posting pictures of people at Graceland just because you discovered a new feature on Twitter or Instagram to search for tagged posts/pics. Seeing people under 30 years old visiting Graceland does not really impress me. A kid dressed up as Elvis is no different than a kid dressed up as Spiderman or Batman. You resting your faith that these kids dressed up as Elvis prove that Elvis' legacy is as strong as ever is hanging on a very thin argument.

And this logic that people are envious of Elvis is absurd. I don't get that at all and only someone who is reacting emotionally in an argument would resort to something that one-dimensional. You're a guy in his 40's who's touched to see a wide variety of visitors at Graceland. Period. Let's not inflate that into this large revelation that's supposed to change the world.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Elvis has over 1 million followers on Facebook now. He has his own twitter account (not really his, but they say it is) and thousands of followers. I'm in my 40's and see him only getting more and more popular as time goes by. It's remarkable!

Just went on Facebook. Elvis has 7 million followers, not 1 million.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:04 pm

It takes some guidance and introduction to Elvis' best music. I have two nieces and made them appreciate Elvis. I mean, Elvis convinces potential fans himself, BUT they are subjected like everybody else to the garbage out there on youtube etc. about Elvis (not helped by the CBS special), and so I cherry-pick the tracks I introduce them too. My youngest niece, who is a GREAT singer herself (13 years old, you can't believe her voice), is now into Dinah Washington, Peggy lee, Amy Whinehouse, Billie Holiday, all the big ones. And the Elvis tracks she LOVES is: "You're The Boss", the duet with Ann-Margret. She always asks me to put it on in the car when we're together. Then we sing along. She thinks Elvis is very cool AND sexy. The older niece loves his Christmas songs. But it takes some seduction in the form of giving them cd's, sending them certain clips.

So I'm a bonafide salesman! Colonel would be proud of me! :lol: :wink:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Graceland will continue to attract visitors as a tourist attraction like Disney, The White House, etc. I bet some of the people who go there dont even own one Elvis record or cd. The money will still be made from Graceland tours and EPE's various products. Elvis still will be mentioned in movies and TV shows, the horrible Elvis impersonators will still be out there, but Elvis will never again be a big name on the music charts. I think that aspect is done.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:16 pm

What the hell do these kids see in Elvis?
Damn them!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:30 pm

elvis 1.jpg

elvis 2.jpg

elvis 3.jpg

elvis4.jpg

elvis 5.jpg

Guess what? All from the Graceland website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:49 pm

r&b wrote:Elvis will never again be a big name on the music charts. I think that aspect is done.

I would be more surprised if he was a big name on the music charts. The man has been gone for nearly 36 years. I think it's great that anyone still visits Graceland. I couldn't care less what their reason is for the visit. Whether they are a fan or not, Elvis is still on their minds, even if for a very short time. I took a casual fan to Graceland two years ago and he loved it. He has even bought a couple of CDs and a DVD since then. Elvis still gets new fans every day. Not of the same caliber that we are, but 36 years after his death gaining new fans is a good thing any way you look at it.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
elvis 1.jpg

elvis 2.jpg

elvis 3.jpg

elvis4.jpg

elvis 5.jpg

Guess what? All from the Graceland website.

Guess what? That's because E.P.E. TOOK THOSE PICS. Not the other way around. :roll:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

James27 wrote:It takes some guidance and introduction to Elvis' best music. I have two nieces and made them appreciate Elvis. I mean, Elvis convinces potential fans himself, BUT they are subjected like everybody else to the garbage out there on youtube etc. about Elvis (not helped by the CBS special), and so I cherry-pick the tracks I introduce them too. My youngest niece, who is a GREAT singer herself (13 years old, you can't believe her voice), is now into Dinah Washington, Peggy lee, Amy Whinehouse, Billie Holiday, all the big ones. And the Elvis tracks she LOVES is: "You're The Boss", the duet with Ann-Margret. She always asks me to put it on in the car when we're together. Then we sing along. She thinks Elvis is very cool AND sexy. The older niece loves his Christmas songs. But it takes some seduction in the form of giving them cd's, sending them certain clips.

So I'm a bonafide salesman! Colonel would be proud of me! :lol: :wink:

Great story! Let me add that the last two times that I was there, including this past Elvis Week, there were a lot of young teenagers, mostly female, who were going to all of the events and wearing Elvis t-shirts and enjoying the music. But I guess some would see that as "just being tourists". :lol:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 pm

My kids are now 29, 26 and 21. All three like Elvis' music but not all periods, and they enjoy watching only a few of Elvis' movies. Follow That Dream being their favorite. Although it's hard for siblings to agree on anything, they all agree when they were younger especially in high school, it was brutal mentioning they liked Elvis. The other kids, some parents and teachers would bring up Elvis sightings, fat jokes and drugs. They all have their favorite Elvis songs on their iPods, but still hear jokes from others when they play Elvis' music at parties. When I asked, if they had the opportunity, would they visit Graceland on their own or with friends? They all said, no. But they also said, they would go if I wanted them to come along with me. When is Father's Day 2015? It will probably take a couple years for them to agree on when we can all go together.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Rob wrote:
r&b wrote:Elvis will never again be a big name on the music charts. I think that aspect is done.

I would be more surprised if he was a big name on the music charts. The man has been gone for nearly 36 years. I think it's great that anyone still visits Graceland. I couldn't care less what their reason is for the visit. Whether they are a fan or not, Elvis is still on their minds, even if for a very short time. I took a casual fan to Graceland two years ago and he loved it. He has even bought a couple of CDs and a DVD since then. Elvis still gets new fans every day. Not of the same caliber that we are, but 36 years after his death gaining new fans is a good thing any way you look at it.

About the music charts. I agree completely! Although the charts today are different than they were in Elvis' time. One thing that stood out to me recently was when Justin Beiber had a TV special on 'E' TV and they bragged about him being the highest teen star earning $53 million for the year last year. Guess what? Elvis' estate made way more than that at $65 million. That should tell us all right there that Elvis IS still relevant and bringing in new fans and interest that no other dead entertainer, including Michael Jackson, can draw.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 pm

EPA4368 wrote:My kids are now 29, 26 and 21. All three like Elvis' music but not all periods, and they enjoy watching only a few of Elvis' movies. Follow That Dream being their favorite. Although it's hard for siblings to agree on anything, they all agree when they were younger especially in high school, it was brutal mentioning they liked Elvis. The other kids, some parents and teachers would bring up Elvis sightings, fat jokes and drugs. They all have their favorite Elvis songs on their iPods, but still hear jokes from others when they play Elvis' music at parties. When I asked, if they had the opportunity, would they visit Graceland on their own or with friends? They all said, no. But they also said, they would go if I wanted them to come along with me. When is Father's Day 2015? It will probably take a couple years for them to agree on when we can all go together.

I think in one time or the other, we've all gone through that. Elvis wasn't cool when I was going to school either, back in the 80's. But today he's probably as hip and cool to kids than most realize. A High School in Utah banned an Elvis school play recently because they saw it to be "too racy and sexually driven" We're talking about 2013. Not 1956. :shock:

You used to not be able to see a teenager wear an Elvis t-shirt out in public or God forbid, to school. Nowadays you see it quite often. I was at my local mall just this weekend and saw multiple Elvis fans and they were in their 20-30's. One kid, a wild looking teenager with a nose-ring, had on a black "Jailhouse Rock" t-shirt that was really cool! I even got up the nerve to ask him where he got it from and he told me he got it while in Memphis.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

EPA4368 wrote:My kids are now 29, 26 and 21. All three like Elvis' music but not all periods, and they enjoy watching only a few of Elvis' movies. Follow That Dream being their favorite. Although it's hard for siblings to agree on anything, they all agree when they were younger especially in high school, it was brutal mentioning they liked Elvis. The other kids, some parents and teachers would bring up Elvis sightings, fat jokes and drugs. They all have their favorite Elvis songs on their iPods, but still hear jokes from others when they play Elvis' music at parties. When I asked, if they had the opportunity, would they visit Graceland on their own or with friends? They all said, no. But they also said, they would go if I wanted them to come along with me. When is Father's Day 2015? It will probably take a couple years for them to agree on when we can all go together.

Very intersting. I used to think the 60's movie period was the low point of Elvis' career, but he was still so young yet and attractive and had time to reinvent himself with the 68 Special, which he did (thank you Steve B.) Now, however, I feel it is the 70's that have done the most harm to Elvis' image. The jumpsuit, cape, sideburns, weight gain, drug fueled shows , that seems to be what people remember and poke fun at the most. Needless to say I am not much of a 70's fan except for maybe 70-72 and even that takes some doing on my part. Vegas destroyed Elvis. Should have been over with after TTWII.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 pm

r&b wrote:Needless to say I am not much of a 70's fan.

You hide it well.

We would have never guessed it.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Rob wrote:
r&b wrote:Needless to say I am not much of a 70's fan.

You hide it well.

We would have never guessed it.

So you guessed huh? Hey its the image Elvis wanted for himself I guess. I'll take the 50's Elvs any day of the week over the Aloha caped Elvis.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:33 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Rob wrote:

About the music charts. I agree completely! Although the charts today are different than they were in Elvis' time. One thing that stood out to me recently was when Justin Beiber had a TV special on 'E' TV and they bragged about him being the highest teen star earning $53 million for the year last year. Guess what? Elvis' estate made way more than that at $65 million. That should tell us all right there that Elvis IS still relevant and bringing in new fans and interest that no other dead entertainer, including Michael Jackson, can draw.

Elvis's estate made that much money because of Graceland. As far as I can ascertain, the cheapest ticket to get into Graceland is $33. So, if all of the visitors chose the cheapest option (which obviously isn;t the case), EPE have already got approx $23 million. Add into that the fact that most people would then buy a souvenir. So let's assume everybody buys a keyring, which is a low-end souvenir at $9. That's another $6.3million in souvenirs AT LEAST. Add to that the fact that most people going to Graceland probably eat in one of the restaurants, and you easily get to a figure close to $40million taken through graceland alone. Add to that the money made from Elvis's name and likeness, royalties for using Elvis's songs in a film or tv programme, and you find not much of that $65m is made from sales of CDs and DVDs!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 pm

r&b wrote:I'll take the 50's Elvs any day of the week over the Aloha caped Elvis.

And I prefer the Madison Square Garden-caped Elvis over all of it (even though I love the '50s).

But that's just the way I (and a lot of other folks) am.