Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Ann-Margret --> "The Girlfriend Who Isn't One!" (April 1

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:My source at WB told me that they pulled every piece of film from VIVA several years ago and there are no existing deleted scenes.

What were they pulling the pieces for? Were they known sequences?

They pulled all the 35mm picture and track materials in 2007 when they did the 2K scan and stereo audio mix for DVD/Blu-ray. Sadly, there were no outtakes or deleted scenes discovered.

Bob

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:19 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:My source at WB told me that they pulled every piece of film from VIVA several years ago and there are no existing deleted scenes.

What were they pulling the pieces for? Were they known sequences?

They pulled all the 35mm picture and track materials in 2007 when they did the 2K scan and stereo audio mix for DVD/Blu-ray. Sadly, there were no outtakes or deleted scenes discovered.

Bob

And it was a fantastic release -- a must-have for fans of this film.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am

Did George Sidney keep a personal archive?

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Did George Sidney keep a personal archive?

Yes, I understand that he did.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 am

greystoke wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Did George Sidney keep a personal archive?

Yes, I understand that he did.

If you are correct, any juicy Ann-Margret tidbits are going to be found there.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:59 pm

`
drjohncarpenter wrote:Found a curious Swedish magazine article from 1964, when Presley paramour Ann-Margret was busy filming "Kitten With A Whip" for Universal.

640400_Kitten With a Whip still.jpg
Ann-Margret, "Kitten With A Whip (Universal, 1964)

I cleaned the translation up a bit.

One may read about how close Elvis and Ann-Margret really were, and how much Tom Parker worked to ruin her contributions to Elvis' finest '60s flick, "Viva Las Vegas," which was about to be released by MGM.

640407_Hennes_cover.jpg
Hennes (Sweden) #15, April 7, 1964

The Girlfriend Who Isn't One!
By Micke Digby

Ann-Margret is engaged to Elvis - Ann-Margret isn't engaged to Elvis! Well, how is it? Read all about how it really is with the world's most popular girlfriend of recent years

Ann-Margret was walking, dead-tired, towards her trailer on the movie set. It had been a long, tiring day, and the troubles working on her first real dramatic lead was starting to show in her face.

"I'll bet you that girl won't be out partying tonight," one of the studio executives whispered. "She looks like she needs a good night's sleep".

Five minutes later, Elvis and "Don't Be Cruel" was heard all over the studio lot. A few minutes passed. Ann-Margret locked the door to her trailer, hurried to her red sports-car, humming the song. She started her car, turned on the stereo, and suddenly another Elvis song was sounding loudly in the air!

"How is Ann-Margret doing?" a reporter recently wrote. "She hints that she's engaged to Elvis, then she changes her mind, and says they are just good friends. And all the time he showers her with presents, she confesses. Is it for real?"

When Ann-Margret first arrived in Hollywood, she was labelled "The female Elvis" by her record company, RCA, the same company as Elvis. All the kids and newspapers could hardly wait until the two became a real couple. Still, it took three years before they even met. And when it happened, no bells chimed, no salutes were heard.

"It was just like meeting anyone," Ann-Margret says smiling. "Well, almost anyone. I met him while doing 'Viva Las Vegas,' in which we're both starring. We were running through the songs we would sing together in the film. He came in, and I felt so shy that I could hardly smile. He just came up and said 'Hi', and I said 'Hi' back". But it didn't stop with 'Hi'.

"Elvis has never had so much fun on a movie set before", says his old friend Earl Wingard. "He really likes Ann-Margret and hung around with her both on the set and after. He has never been so relaxed and happy before".

The couple started seeing each other every night after work. Going on motorcycle trips together, even going to the movies together, a thing Elvis rarely does.

Elvis started giving her presents, jewelry and things for her new home. When she left to go on the road singing, it took him hours to say goodbye.

Then it exploded.

While in Europe, Ann-Margret told the newspapers she thought she was in love with Elvis and added: "I'm going steady with him, and I guess I'm in love. But I can't say when, or even if we're getting married, nothing's decided."

Back in the U.S., Elvis was asked to make a comment, but he just smiled.

'When Ann-Margret returned to Hollywood, everyone expected a row between the two, but nothing happened. They continued seeing each other as before, and Elvis gave her the stereo for her car.

"Usually Elvis can't stand a girl using his name to get publicity," an ad-man who once felt Elvis' anger says. "In this case though, he seems amused because he cares so much for her."

640407_Hennes_inside.jpg

Lately, Ann-Margret has calmed down, even though she still needs every bit of publicity she can get to make it to the top. She doesn't give interviews and won't answer the phone. She's smart enough to know that Hollywood reporters often ask difficult questions that can be hard to avoid, therefore it's best not to give them the chance. A little while ago, she was awarded a prize for the most unfriendly movie star in Hollywood. She doesn't want that prize again, but says, "I'm afraid of journalists."

Happily for Ann-Margret, her current director (Douglas Heyes) decided that no one working on the current project is allowed to give interviews. It's a very hard film to make, and he doesn't want anyone to disturb her or any of his other stars.

So, how are things going for her in "Kitten With a Whip"? A man behind the film says: "It's her first dramatic part and it's also the first film where her name alone decides if it's a success or not."

640400_Kitten With a Whip promo.jpg

Even if she has a hard time giving interviews, she still has time for her friends. "I have a lot of male friends, and Elvis is one of them," she says.

It's highly unlikely that Ann-Margret would give up show business to marry Elvis. "Ann-Margret's career means a lot to her", says one of her closest friends, and it means almost as much to her parents. They worked very hard to give her song-and-dance lessons, ever since she was a little girl. And all her relatives back home in Sweden count on her, not to forget hundreds of friends in Illinois, where she grew up. She doesn't want to disappoint them, as much as she doesn't want to disappoint herself.

And don't forget, she has already turned one man down, Burt Sugarman. She loved him a lot, but she loved her career more, and if Elvis proposed today, Ann-Margret would say no. But, frankly, it's rather unlikely for him to do so. Two careers in the same house would only mean one thing: trouble. They both know that, and so they can never be more than just good friends, no matter what the public wants.

During this time a "girlfriend who really isn't one" continues to enjoy her Elvis records. "I'm not engaged to anyone!"

Another thing is, Ann-Margret is furious that Elvis' manager, Colonel Tom Parker, left her best scenes from "Viva Las Vegas" on the cutting room floor. Or, rather, he made the film company do it since, according to his contract, Elvis is the big star here. Ann-Margret would have had more songs in the film than Elvis himself! But the angry actress keeps on playing her Elvis records.

Source:
[ Ann-Margret | Hennes (Sweden) No. 15 April 7, 1964 ]
http://www.ann-margret-from-sweden.com/various/magazines/64hennes.html

Ann-Margret is one gorgeous lady! Of all the girls Elvis went with, Ann is one of the better ones, as far as i'm concerned, not just in looks, but as a person as well. I have never heard her say a bad word about him or slag him off in any kind of way. She's never written a tell-all book just to get money and so forth. She truely loved him and probably still does. Linda Thompson, is another one i'd admire, for the same reasons i like Ann. Have you noticed?.... that Linda and Ann are both very strong willed women?.....

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks, Doc. Wonderful material. And I believe also, Ann and Linda are the best ladies in Elvis's life.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 am

One thing seems certain to me and that is that there must have been much more film shot of the wedding toward the end of the film.

Elvis told the story himself that they spent a week in that wedding chapel filming that scene but all we get is them leaving the chapel.

The director may have figured since it was toward the end of the film, the full scene was not needed and only slowed the movie down at the end.

By them leaving the chapel, we get the idea, they got married. But that brief sequence with full camera set up and everything wouldn't have taken more than
say 4 or 5 hours to complete, not a week.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:09 am

Wow! What a surprise! smt190
Another old thread resurrected by "mysterytrainrideson". Yeah, "mystery trian rides on" for sure. :lol:

drjohn, how much are you paying this guy? :facep:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Thanks, Doc. Wonderful material. And I believe also, Ann and Linda are the best ladies in Elvis's life.

Thank you!

Ann and Linda were special, but so were several other gals in his life, starting with Dixie Locke in 1954.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:45 am

It’s no wonder why Elvis had something for her. That woman defined sex appeal.

Although I never thought her dancing was all that great in itself and her scream at the end of Come On Everybody always irked me but who cares. It was just the way that woman moved…. Oh Man!!!!!

To tell you the truth, besides VLV and the Dean Martin Variety Show Infomercial, I’ve never really seen her elsewhere. I know she was a huge star but she just fell off my radar.

I thought Priscilla was a more beautiful woman but Ann just had that “it” factor for sure. I could see her being so seductive.

Can you imagine half the woman Elvis had? Lucky Bastard! Lol

The Parker piece was interesting. That man was either brilliant or just an insane ego maniac

Nice read. Thanks Doc!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Ann has a magnetic charisma. But also June Juanico and Anita Wood were very beautiful and special

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Blue River wrote:Wow! What a surprise! smt190
Another old thread resurrected by "mysterytrainrideson". Yeah, "mystery trian rides on" for sure. :lol:

drjohn, how much are you paying this guy? :facep:

And this mystery train will keep riding on my friend. like it or not you retarted person.
Last edited by mysterytrainrideson on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:18 pm

I like A-M a lot , always did, but I never understood 'the female Elvis' tag. Just a promo ploy I assume, since they were on the same record label, RCA. She was a typical singer, but what a dancer and she turned into a damn fine actress. I think Elvis really loved her and would have married her had he not made that promise to Priscilla's father. As for the movie, I am sure there were film plans for You're The Boss. They recocrded it for a reason.