Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:27 am

There's been some doubt that Elvis will survive much longer. Yet tourism at Graceland is as high as ever, over 700,000 in 2012. His annual income is at an all time high-$65 million last year. And his ongoing influence on pop culture is still recognized throughout music genres today. So I thought I'd start a thread that shows how young adults and children are being affected by Elvis and his everlasting popularity. The first is of a young boy standing at Elvis' gravesite with an Elvis figurine in his hand.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 am

Image

Image

Image

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:02 am

Image

Image

Image

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 am

Image

Image

Image

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am

Very beautiful pictures, thank you.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:32 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Very beautiful pictures, thank you.


No problem. I think it's an important subject to keep an eye on. Elvis' future success lies in these young adults passing it down to their own children one day, and their children's children. If I saw just a bunch of middle aged women showing their love then I would be concerned and so would E.P.E. I give them credit for catering more to the youth today. But they need to do much more.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:44 am

SuspiciousMind, with all due respect, I hope you realize that when you die none of this "Elvis stuff" is going to matter anyway.

Personally, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned about my future and my family's future than I am about the future of Elvis' legacy.
Elvis' legacy will take care of itself.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:07 am

Blue River wrote:SuspiciousMind, with all due respect, I hope you realize that when you die none of this "Elvis stuff" is going to matter anyway.

Personally, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned about my future and my family's future than I am about the future of Elvis' legacy.
Elvis' legacy will take care of itself.


You obviously are not old enough to understand WHY it IS important. Otherwise you would see my point.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:01 am

I'm sorry but the majority of the young people there are there because it's a tourist attraction, not because of a particular love for Elvis.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:41 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Blue River wrote:SuspiciousMind, with all due respect, I hope you realize that when you die none of this "Elvis stuff" is going to matter anyway.
Personally, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned about my future and my family's future than I am about the future of Elvis' legacy.
Elvis' legacy will take care of itself.

You obviously are not old enough to understand WHY it IS important. Otherwise you would see my point.

:lol: My age has nothing to do with seeing or not seeing your so-called point. What point? You haven't made a point.
You have no idea how old I am. Perhaps you're not old enough to understand the logic of my post above.

There are many, many things much more important in this world than to be concerned/worried about Elvis' legacy.
Maybe as you get older you'll understand that. :D

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Blue River wrote:SuspiciousMind, with all due respect, I hope you realize that when you die none of this "Elvis stuff" is going to matter anyway.
Personally, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned about my future and my family's future than I am about the future of Elvis' legacy.
Elvis' legacy will take care of itself.

You obviously are not old enough to understand WHY it IS important. Otherwise you would see my point.

I think 101 years old is old enough... :lol:

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:The first is of a young boy standing at Elvis' gravesite with an Elvis figurine in his hand.

Image

"I wanted Lego for Christmas. Do we have to keep coming here Grandad?

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 am

poormadpeter wrote:I'm sorry but the majority of the young people there are there because it's a tourist attraction, not because of a particular love for Elvis.


That's a bit of a specious comment Peter. You're right that it's probably not some passionate love for Elvis. However, things are tourists attractions for a reason and the reason for this one is that the person who once lived there was implicitly interesting just like George Washington's house or whatever. The architecture etc. may be interesting but you go there because of the name associated with the building.

It's hard to say about Elvis' future because in many ways it appears that in our fragmented culture that the mainstream is willing to chuck it all away from The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind on down. I use those because they were for a long time considered almost cultural untouchables. Today I routinely meet young people (not young kids in their teens but people in their early '20s who've supposedly been around a bit) and not only have they not seen these perennials, they've not even heard of them. 20 years ago, this seemed inconceivable to me. However, the generation now does not look back farther than five years or so at all. There's a telling little scene in the movie The Social Network where they're at the school's a cappella event, maybe one of the most old fashioned traditions in the country. The songs the group is singing are recent boy band ditties with no standards in sight. A slight joke is made about this. But the context is important old fashioned things associated with another era are not even welcome at square old fashioned events. Christmas seems the one exception where some attempt at tradition is kept alive. It never seemed likely but we're close to being at a point where only the contemporary has any resonance, Elvis in included in that. This is the most in the moment pop culture we've had on memory even the '60s which were all modernity were kinder to icons of previous eras.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm

legends never die

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:58 pm

likethebike wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I'm sorry but the majority of the young people there are there because it's a tourist attraction, not because of a particular love for Elvis.


That's a bit of a specious comment Peter. You're right that it's probably not some passionate love for Elvis. However, things are tourists attractions for a reason and the reason for this one is that the person who once lived there was implicitly interesting just like George Washington's house or whatever. The architecture etc. may be interesting but you go there because of the name associated with the building.

It's hard to say about Elvis' future because in many ways it appears that in our fragmented culture that the mainstream is willing to chuck it all away from The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind on down. I use those because they were for a long time considered almost cultural untouchables. Today I routinely meet young people (not young kids in their teens but people in their early '20s who've supposedly been around a bit) and not only have they not seen these perennials, they've not even heard of them. 20 years ago, this seemed inconceivable to me. However, the generation now does not look back farther than five years or so at all. There's a telling little scene in the movie The Social Network where they're at the school's a cappella event, maybe one of the most old fashioned traditions in the country. The songs the group is singing are recent boy band ditties with no standards in sight. A slight joke is made about this. But the context is important old fashioned things associated with another era are not even welcome at square old fashioned events. Christmas seems the one exception where some attempt at tradition is kept alive. It never seemed likely but we're close to being at a point where only the contemporary has any resonance, Elvis in included in that. This is the most in the moment pop culture we've had on memory even the '60s which were all modernity were kinder to icons of previous eras.


Which only reiterates my point. I'm not saying it's right that they don't care, I'm simply saying they don't care. But then again how many youngsters in 1956 gave a damn about the historical importance of Al Jolson or Bing Crosby? Precious few, I would imagine. My point is that Elvis is now seen as an historical figure, and not an influential singer.

The kids know him (as is shown through those pictures) via a series of parodied moves or stances or curled lips. They probably don't know two lines of All Shook Up. And yet those pictures are touted as somehow proving that Elvis's influence lives on, which it clearly doesn't - even to the majority of those attending Graceland (probably dragged along by parents). But just because 700,000 people go to Graceland each year, and because he still earn X amount of money doesn't mean he has an "impact", which is what the thread is all about. It means he is well marketed. Just because I go to the natural history museum doesn't mean I have an interest in natural history. 700,000 people go to Graceland, and yet probably around 5000 buy an FTD. The numbers of those visiting Graceland do not correlate any more with numbers of fans or enthusiasts.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Believe it or not I turn 21 this year.

Elvis is as big as he possibly can be to the younger generations. For a guy born before World War II started, a man that died over 35 years ago - he's got an amazing following worldwide. I'd argue he's probably bigger in Europe than he is in America.

A lot of young people do appreciate Elvis. But let's be honest, it wouldn't be natural if there were lots of fanaticals like me at my age, would it? I've grown up in an era where Elvis is respected as one of the all time great artists. A revolutionary. The King of Rock. From what I've gathered, that wasn't always the case. We have people like Greil Marcus and Peter Guralnick to thank for that.

I'm happy with his legacy. The fact his catalogue is so well looked after with FTD and Legacy, Elvis' recorded output will be there forever for those that want it

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote: I'd argue he's probably bigger in Europe than he is in America.

I think you're right.

Good Time Charlie wrote:The fact his catalogue is so well looked after with FTD and Legacy, Elvis' recorded output will be there forever for those that want it

Very well stated... short and to the point.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:56 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Believe it or not I turn 21 this year.

Elvis is as big as he possibly can be to the younger generations. For a guy born before World War II started, a man that died over 35 years ago - he's got an amazing following worldwide. I'd argue he's probably bigger in Europe than he is in America.

A lot of young people do appreciate Elvis. But let's be honest, it wouldn't be natural if there were lots of fanaticals like me at my age, would it? I've grown up in an era where Elvis is respected as one of the all time great artists. A revolutionary. The King of Rock. From what I've gathered, that wasn't always the case. We have people like Greil Marcus and Peter Guralnick to thank for that.

I'm happy with his legacy. The fact his catalogue is so well looked after with FTD and Legacy, Elvis' recorded output will be there forever for those that want it


Great post!

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 am

poormadpeter wrote:
likethebike wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I'm sorry but the majority of the young people there are there because it's a tourist attraction, not because of a particular love for Elvis.


That's a bit of a specious comment Peter. You're right that it's probably not some passionate love for Elvis. However, things are tourists attractions for a reason and the reason for this one is that the person who once lived there was implicitly interesting just like George Washington's house or whatever. The architecture etc. may be interesting but you go there because of the name associated with the building.

It's hard to say about Elvis' future because in many ways it appears that in our fragmented culture that the mainstream is willing to chuck it all away from The Wizard of Oz and Gone With the Wind on down. I use those because they were for a long time considered almost cultural untouchables. Today I routinely meet young people (not young kids in their teens but people in their early '20s who've supposedly been around a bit) and not only have they not seen these perennials, they've not even heard of them. 20 years ago, this seemed inconceivable to me. However, the generation now does not look back farther than five years or so at all. There's a telling little scene in the movie The Social Network where they're at the school's a cappella event, maybe one of the most old fashioned traditions in the country. The songs the group is singing are recent boy band ditties with no standards in sight. A slight joke is made about this. But the context is important old fashioned things associated with another era are not even welcome at square old fashioned events. Christmas seems the one exception where some attempt at tradition is kept alive. It never seemed likely but we're close to being at a point where only the contemporary has any resonance, Elvis in included in that. This is the most in the moment pop culture we've had on memory even the '60s which were all modernity were kinder to icons of previous eras.


Which only reiterates my point. I'm not saying it's right that they don't care, I'm simply saying they don't care. But then again how many youngsters in 1956 gave a damn about the historical importance of Al Jolson or Bing Crosby? Precious few, I would imagine. My point is that Elvis is now seen as an historical figure, and not an influential singer.

The kids know him (as is shown through those pictures) via a series of parodied moves or stances or curled lips. They probably don't know two lines of All Shook Up. And yet those pictures are touted as somehow proving that Elvis's influence lives on, which it clearly doesn't - even to the majority of those attending Graceland (probably dragged along by parents). But just because 700,000 people go to Graceland each year, and because he still earn X amount of money doesn't mean he has an "impact", which is what the thread is all about. It means he is well marketed. Just because I go to the natural history museum doesn't mean I have an interest in natural history. 700,000 people go to Graceland, and yet probably around 5000 buy an FTD. The numbers of those visiting Graceland do not correlate any more with numbers of fans or enthusiasts.


Your whole post sounds more like someone who is envy of his everlasting fame. But I guess having young girls drool over a man who they never met, who's been dead for 3 and a half decades, will do that to a guy.

Image

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 am

Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:The first is of a young boy standing at Elvis' gravesite with an Elvis figurine in his hand.

Image

"I wanted Lego for Christmas. Do we have to keep coming here Grandad?

Really? Sounds like another envious poster. I guess he was having a seizer then in this pic.

Image

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 am

I was merely making two separate distinct points. One is that I'm not sure what the long term holds because it seems to me there is no desire to look back at anything.

The other was that I don't think most people go tourist attractions just because they're there, or at least I don't. When I'm in NYC there's a thousand spots but a place like the Met will attract me because I want to see what's in there, what it promises is interesting.

I do agree you can't take a whole lot from a few pictures especially as I remember trips when I was a kid, mom and dad had all the say. They might have thought X trip would please me, but there was no vote or anything.

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 am

Knowing what we know about Elvis fans...no doubt that kid's parents put him up to those shots. SuspiciousMinds, its obvious you get a kick out of seeing these young people at Graceland but how many of these people actually have Elvis on their iPods?

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:35 am

Knowing what we know about Elvis fans...no doubt that kid's parents put him up to those shots. SuspiciousMinds, its obvious you get a kick out of seeing these young people at Graceland but how many of these people actually have Elvis on their iPods?

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:53 am

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Matthew wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote:The first is of a young boy standing at Elvis' gravesite with an Elvis figurine in his hand.

Image

"I wanted Lego for Christmas. Do we have to keep coming here Grandad?

Really? Sounds like another envious poster. I guess he was having a seizer then in this pic.

Image

I hear the kid sent an angry email to Lisa Marie demanding the release of Elvis In Concert on DVD. He cited it as the inspiration for his future career as an Elvis impersonator and so wants to study it in the best possible quality.

Or..

"Grandad, you said just one crazy pose and then we could go get an ice cream. Who am I supposed to be anyway?"

Re: Elvis' impact on the youth of today and tomorrow

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:54 am

Justin wrote:Knowing what we know about Elvis fans...no doubt that kid's parents put him up to those shots. SuspiciousMinds, its obvious you get a kick out of seeing these young people at Graceland but how many of these people actually have Elvis on their iPods?


More than you would believe. I used to think kids didn't like Elvis until the social media became public and was amazed at what kids were saying on twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Elvis has over 1 million followers on Facebook now. He has his own twitter account (not really his, but they say it is) and thousands of followers. I'm in my 40's and see him only getting more and more popular as time goes by. It's remarkable!