Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis putting on Muhammad Ali's Robe.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Not sure if this picture has been posted here or not, but here is a great shot of Elvis putting on the boxing robe that he had made for Muhammad Ali. (Feb 73') The second photo shows Muhammad Ali visiting the Ali Center. The third shot is of Gene Doucette's first visit to the Ali Centre. It was the first time he had seen the robe since it left the IC Costumes workshop in the 70's.

Here's two video clips of the famous Elvis/Ali meeting -

Video clips -

Clip # 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RETtOKLAO4&list=UUfya4oh7lDKVDzSzb4Vfs0A&index=35

Clip # 2http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGO7RiUHa5I&list=UUfya4oh7lDKVDzSzb4Vfs0A&index=36
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis putting on Muhammad Ali's Robe.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 pm

post & repost but good to see it again. thnx

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59751

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 am

It is a well-know image, but yours seems to be nicer quality than others posted here.

More importantly, it has been nearly 40 years since this Las Vegas meeting in February 1973, and yet only one or two of Ali photographer Howard L. Bingham's images have surfaced.

Where are the rest? Will fans of Ali and Presley ever be granted an opportunity to view or own copies?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601&hilit=muhammad+ali&start=50#p997539

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks Andy - your photo is the best quality version I've seen of the photo of Elvis and Ali

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ali73.html

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 am

You're welcome Paul. I had a very nice conversation with Howard Bingham a few years ago at the Ali Center, and he told me he had many shots of Elvis and Ali. I asked him to please release another book, and he smiled.

Here are a few shots of an event I was filming for the Ali Center, with Mr. Bingham.

On an unrelated note: Angelo Dundee told about everyone going to see Elvis perform in Las Vegas. He said Muhammad was at the performance and thought "Elvis was cool"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Ali is one of my favorite Legends, he is a beautiful human being, and I'm sure Elvis was quite proud to be his friend.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:35 pm

AndyDumas wrote:You're welcome Paul. I had a very nice conversation with Howard Bingham a few years ago at the Ali Center, and he told me he had many shots of Elvis and Ali. I asked him to please release another book, and he smiled.

Here are a few shots of an event I was filming for the Ali Center, with Mr. Bingham.

On an unrelated note: Angelo Dundee told about everyone going to see Elvis perform in Las Vegas. He said Muhammad was at the performance and thought "Elvis was cool"

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the extra confirmation of Ali going to see Elvis perform live in Las Vegas.

I pinned the date down a while back, as almost certainly being from the evening of February 1, 1973.
See this topic for more > Ali at an Elvis show,1973 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601&hilit=muhammad+ali#p960818

The event you filmed for the Ali Center must have been one very special day. I envy the access you had to get that close to the great man!

If you don't mind me asking, what year was this, and is the footage available to view online?

Thanks once again.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 am

The event was called 'The Rumble Replay' and it was a fundraiser for the Ali Center. It was also a chance to celebrate Ali's 65th birthday (Jan 17th) It was a belated birthday celebration as the event was in March.

Here is the video I shot & Edited for the Ali Centre:

Part # 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxB6oV3X_1w&noredirect=1

Part # 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_3EydF ... r_embedded

Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 am

AndyDumas wrote:The event was called 'The Rumble Replay' and it was a fundraiser for the Ali Center. It was also a chance to celebrate Ali's 65th birthday (Jan 17th) It was a belated birthday celebration as the event was in March.

Here is the video I shot & Edited for the Ali Centre:

Part # 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxB6oV3X_1w&noredirect=1

Part # 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_3EydF ... r_embedded

Wow! That was emotional.

I don't mind saying, I shed a tear or two watching that.

Great to see Ali looking so happy.

You did a fantastic job capturing the event.

Thanks very much for sharing.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:57 am

Is it good to have pictures of Elvis and Muhammad, and hide them forever?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 pm

AndyDumas wrote:You're welcome Paul. I had a very nice conversation with Howard Bingham a few years ago at the Ali Center, and he told me he had many shots of Elvis and Ali. I asked him to please release another book, and he smiled.

Thanks for confirming what I already suspected -- Bingham has many shots from their meeting in February 1973.

AndyDumas wrote:On an unrelated note: Angelo Dundee told about everyone going to see Elvis perform in Las Vegas. He said Muhammad was at the performance and thought "Elvis was cool"

Dundee passed away almost a year ago. When did you speak with him?

It's highly unusual that Ali, Dundee and "everyone" attended a 1973 Elvis Presley gig at the Hilton, on the eve of Ali's Valentine's Day fight with Joe Bugner, and not a single news report of any kind has ever been found that even mentions it. The fight was a major sports event, and the media covering the fighter on a daily basis.

Not only that, there is not a single Presley concert tape recording of Elvis introducing Ali, or one Presley fan report noting Ali and his company at any show.

Either of these would properly verify that the famed boxer did actually see Elvis perform in concert.

phpBB [video]

Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Bugner I (part 1 of 4)
Wednesday, February 14, 1973 - Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:07 pm

And I am sure that Elvis would have introduced Ali from the stage.

I would love to see more images of Elvis and Muhammad together.

I am as big or bigger collector (in terms of quantity) of Ali than I am of Elvis, and much of my original material has been stolen from my acount on youtube, before my account was terminated because of a copyright infringement claim, and that includes these (uncredtited) clips from the first Bugner fight & a lot more. A little tear slides down my cheek now. :wink:

But I have a lot of material left that isn't on Youtube yet, and some that even includes an Ali-Elvis link, Ali talking about Elvis (briefly) in a talkshow during a 1977 interview for example.
Elvis had died just a few months earlier. I'm not gonna post it on Youtube though, I'm tired of getting stolen from.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
AndyDumas wrote:On an unrelated note: Angelo Dundee told about everyone going to see Elvis perform in Las Vegas. He said Muhammad was at the performance and thought "Elvis was cool"

It's highly unusual that Ali, Dundee and "everyone" attended a 1973 Elvis Presley gig at the Hilton, on the eve of Ali's Valentine's Day fight with Joe Bugner, and not a single news report of any kind has ever been found that even mentions it. The fight was a major sports event, and the media covering the fighter on a daily basis.

Not only that, there is not a single Presley concert tape recording of Elvis introducing Ali, or one Presley fan report noting Ali and his company at any show.

Either of these would properly verify that the famed boxer did actually see Elvis perform in concert.

Let it go.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Bugner I (part 1 of 4)
Wednesday, February 14, 1973 - Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV

Let it go.

Facts? Never.

They are irrefutable, and I love them. And I am not the only one who feels that way. ;-)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601&p=961178&#p961178
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601&p=961349&#p961349

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:02 pm

I hear what you're saying Doc, but three members of 'Ali's entourage' told me they all went to see Elvis. Howard Bingham, Gene Killroy and Angelo Dundee. I have met Angelo on an number of occasions. The last time Interviewed Angelo, was on the Eve of Ali's 70th Birthday. It may have been one of the last interviews that he gave. Angelo passed away a few weeks later.

Doc, it seems odd to me that everyone in Ali's troupe would go to the show and he wouldn't

Angelo was in his late 80s and memories do fade. We talked off camera about Elvis and he confirmed that they all saw him perform. Right until the end Angelo was sharp.

Here is a link to part of that interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KCt5ukl ... ug&index=2

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 am

AndyDumas wrote:Doc, it seems odd to me that everyone in Ali's troupe would go to the show and he wouldn't ...

But it may be even more odd that nothing credible has come to light to verify Ali attended an Elvis performance. Beyond everything I carefully noted in my previous reply, how it is that not a word is mentioned by Ali in his 1975 autobiography, or in his officially-sanctioned life story by Thomas Hauser, published sixteen years later?

751000_The Greatest_Ali_Durham.JPG
Muhammad Ali (with Richard Durham), The Greatest: My Own Story (New York: Random House, October 1975)

910615_Muhammad Ali_Hauser.JPG
Thomas Hauser, Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times (New York: Simon & Schuster, June 1991)

One might assume Ali seeing his #1 hero, in concert, would have merited a sentence in at least one of these publications.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:20 am

I would say that clearly, the entourage did not occupy a table in the audience. Perhaps they interpreted a different type of encounter for actually taking in a show. There usually is a middle ground of some kind when something doesn't seem to make sense like that.

It doesn't matter anyway: they did meet, and the pictures that we have are really awesome. I mean, they didn't "meet" in the sense that they waved, or bumped into each other in a hallway, and half-remembered it: they really MET! Nor was it a staged "meeting" as with the Lads in '65. That didn't feel like the type of "meeting" that means "meeting." When you see Elvis tying that robe on, that's "meeting." Whatever else did or did not happen, really doesn't matter all that much in this particular case.

I think it's cool that they had what you'd call quality time together. Elvis never "really" went to a fight of his, but did go to at least one closed-circuit public broadcast, in Memphis. And that was a pretty big deal in those days. And he sat with the "Ali" side of the crowd. All of those things are what matter.

rjm

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:27 pm

rjm wrote:I would say that clearly, the entourage did not occupy a table in the audience. Perhaps they interpreted a different type of encounter for actually taking in a show. There usually is a middle ground of some kind when something doesn't seem to make sense like that.

My point exactly!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Odd indeed doc. The Thomas Hauser book is, I believe the best Bio ever done on Ali. I still have to go with the fact that three different member of Ali's inner circle, told me that Muhammad attended a show.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 pm

AndyDumas wrote:Odd indeed doc. The Thomas Hauser book is, I believe the best Bio ever done on Ali. I still have to go with the fact that three different member of Ali's inner circle, told me that Muhammad attended a show.

Ali does indeed refer to meeting and hearing Elvis sing in Las Vegas, in Hauser's 1991 biog, Andy.

Here's the full quote [already reproduced here, nearly 16 months ago > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601&hilit=muhammad+ali&start=25#p961851] :

"All my life I admired Elvis Presley. When I was in Las Vegas, I heard him sing, and it was a thrill to meet him.... But I felt sorry for Elvis, because he didn't enjoy life the way he should. He stayed indoors all the time. I told him he should go out and see people. He said he couldn't, because everywhere he went, they mobbed him. He didn't understand. No one wanted to hurt him. All they wanted was to be friendly, and tell him how much they loved him."

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
AndyDumas wrote:Odd indeed doc. The Thomas Hauser book is, I believe the best Bio ever done on Ali. I still have to go with the fact that three different member of Ali's inner circle, told me that Muhammad attended a show.

Ali does indeed refer to meeting and hearing Elvis sing in Las Vegas, in Hauser's 1991 biog, Andy.

Here's the full quote [already reproduced here, nearly 16 months ago > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601&hilit=muhammad+ali&start=25#p961851] :

"All my life I admired Elvis Presley. When I was in Las Vegas, I heard him sing, and it was a thrill to meet him.... But I felt sorry for Elvis, because he didn't enjoy life the way he should. He stayed indoors all the time. I told him he should go out and see people. He said he couldn't, because everywhere he went, they mobbed him. He didn't understand. No one wanted to hurt him. All they wanted was to be friendly, and tell him how much they loved him."

And, of course, Ali does not say he saw a show. Which, of course, is what I wrote "nearly 16 months ago" on that topic, and the point which you continue to refuse to even acknowledge.

Elvis had a piano in his Las Vegas suite, and it was often played while he sang for his guests.

ImperialsElliotAllensFeb231973.jpg
"Amazing Grace," Elvis' Hilton suite, Las Vegas, NV - After Friday, February 23, 1973 CS
L-R: Terry Blackwood, Sherman Andrus, Jim Murray, Cass Elliot, Joe Moscheo, Armond Morales, Marty Allen, Elvis, Linda Thompson, Red West, Lorraine Allen

So it remains a distinct possibility, in lieu of absolutely no other concrete evidence, that Ali did not witness an Elvis Presley performance in the showroom. Why you have such trouble accepting this as a scenario is a mystery.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:So it remains a distinct possibility...

Not in the real world.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:04 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:So it remains a distinct possibility, in lieu of absolutely no other concrete evidence, that Ali did not witness an Elvis Presley performance in the showroom. Why you have such trouble accepting this as a scenario is a mystery.

Not in the real world.

Let it go.