Off Topic Messages

Time Traveller In 1938 Film

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Ok all you sci-fi fanatics, do you think the woman holding a cell phone in 1938 is a time traveller ?
You be the judge.....

phpBB [video]

Re: Time Traveller In 1938 Film

Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Personally, I think she's holding a pair of sunglasses....and talking to it. :P

Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Maybe a powder compact

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Ok all you sci-fi fanatics, do you think the woman holding a cell phone in 1938 is a time traveller ?
You be the judge.....

Yes, but I am pleased to say she safely arrived back in 2013.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Looks like she says "bye" as she's putting it away? Hmmmm... maybe her today...

Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 am

Well it's better than the Chaplin one that surfaced last year.

It's funny, I was listening a 1954 Fibber McGee and Molly show this afternoon and Fibber gets a call from Doctor Gamble who explains he's on a mobile phone in his car! He explains how he can be contacted at any time and then proceeds to crash into something due to lack of concentration! I thought this was pretty weird to hear!!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:53 am

My logical conclusion : The woman was holding either her sunglasses or a powder/makeup compact close to her face as a pose to make herself look pretty, while talking to the film/camera man.

Next up : Unseen film footage of Elvis in 1956...singing "Hound Dog" to an I-Pad !!!!!!! Don't you dare miss it !!!

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 am

TCB-FAN wrote:do you think the woman holding a cell phone in 1938 is a time traveller ?

Yes, of course. That's definitely the most logical explanation.

Chris

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 am

Even if it was a cell phone, it wouldn't work without cell phone towers or satellite networks or whatever...

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:35 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Even if it was a cell phone, it wouldn't work without cell phone towers or satellite networks or whatever...

Then she must be from the far future - where they have perfected communications through time and have developed cell phone-like devices that work regardless of whether or not cell phone towers/satellite networks exist.

Clever girl. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:13 pm

I must say it was interesting....that brings me to some a sweet secret dream of mine: Travelling in time....would travell back to 1954 to Memphis and get to see the King and buy all the copies of : "Thats alright mama" and all the other Sun '45s ;)

Marty MaCflay and Doc A. Brown where are you with the Time Machine? ;) :D

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 pm

california boy wrote:Marty MaCflay and Doc A. Brown where are you with the Time Machine? ;) :D

They're currently in a secret location developing the latest version of the flux capacitor for the DeLorean.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:30 pm

that's my Aunt Mary.
She vanished after tinkering with a weird device her ex-husband left in the basement. :shock:
Hope she's well.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
california boy wrote:Marty MaCflay and Doc A. Brown where are you with the Time Machine? ;) :D

They're currently in a secret location developing the latest version of the flux capacitor for the DeLorean.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :smt003

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:43 am

california boy wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

:wink: :wink: :wink: :smt003

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt023

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 am

JimmyCool wrote:Even if it was a cell phone, it wouldn't work without cell phone towers or satellite networks or whatever...

I'll start off sounding dismissive, except that you can't dismiss it so easily.

Well, if this were a time-travel phenomenon, or something related, there might be something hovering above . . . just sayin'! :wink:

Look, I'm not making fun of this. I looked up the links, it really is from 1938. She's not talking to her wallet, and that is NOT a make-up compact. You don't rub the compact up against your face/ear, nor do you talk to it. She could be talking to someone who is making the film, but then again, it's a documentary.

It's not a transistor radio; they didn't have 'em yet. And she closes it just like you'd close a flip phone. (Or a . . . "communicator.") Look, it seems so ridiculous! But, I don't know what to make of it.

What is curious is that she's so casual about whatever it is she's doing. She's doing something that makes absolutely no sense in 1938. None at all. (In 1940, they had "walkie-talkies" for the war, but they were MUCH larger than the 1980s "brick" phone. So that's not it.) So, if she's some kind of person who doesn't belong there, she acts like she belongs there, and should be doing what she's doing. That's strange.

The thing looks to be rather recent: I would say early-to-mid '00s type flip - along with the way it's used. The weird thing is she looks so comfortable, and cheerful, and open. (If she really was from somewhere/when else, wouldn't she be a bit discrete?)

I'd love for erstwhile disbeliever Stephen Hawking to see this! :shock:

Look, it's easy to make fun of it, but you can't dismiss it, either.

rjm

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:06 am

It's defiantly an I Phone 5.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:24 am

promiseland wrote:It's defiantly an I Phone 5.

Naw. She'd have thrown it on the floor: "This is just like the last one! Just a little bigger; the map function doesn't work, and a different docking port. Ripoff!" She wouldn't look that happy. :mrgreen: :smt002

rjm

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 pm

The lady (or guy) in front of her is also a time traveller....he's Dustin Hoffman as "Tootsie". :smt003

Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:20 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:The lady (or guy) in front of her is also a time traveller....he's Dustin Hoffman as "Tootsie". :smt003

You noticed! Dude looks to be in drag!! LOL!!

(Maybe it's not really from 1938 at all! This was cut from the film.)

rjm

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Elvis - with i-pod.JPG

She later time-travelled to 1956 & got Elvis to try out an i-pod !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:46 pm

ColinB wrote:
Elvis - with i-pod.JPG

Hahahaha GOOD ONE COLIN B :smt003 :smt003 ::rocks

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm

ColinB wrote:
Elvis - with i-pod.JPG

That's a good one!

::rocks

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 pm

ColinB wrote:
Elvis - with i-pod.JPG

Elvis appears to be grimacing and saying "I don't like this rap rubbish. It's just bad people shouting, sir".