Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Aloha "Enhanced" Concert 2013

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Yes it would be great to have a reworked Aloha both shows in 16.9 i cant uderstand when they released the Delux set they didnt use more new cam shots. those who want to keep the 4.3 fine

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 pm

like i sayd why not sell like 6 camera angles unedited (like just 1 camera a disk, without fading into a other camera angle). And put those on a 6DVD Set. that way also people can make for themselfs their aloha from hawaii how they want it to be seen, They dont need to remaster it since they already showned alot of camera angles on the hawaii event..

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:like i sayd why not sell like 6 camera angles unedited (like just 1 camera a disk, without fading into a other camera angle). And put those on a 6DVD Set. that way also people can make for themselfs their aloha from hawaii how they want it to be seen, They dont need to remaster it since they already showned alot of camera angles on the hawaii event..

it would be ideal

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:Didn't the Deluxe Aloha DVD set already contain a newly edited show? I thought they presented the original broadcast on one disc and then the re-edited full concerts on another? Here they have re-edited the concert a second time and we're demanding for this to be re-re-released on DVD? Just because of camera angles? By this logic, we would want them to re-release this concert every ten years just so we can see a re-edit of the footage. There would be endless versions of this concert just for the sake of different angles of the same performances. Seems kind of silly.

I totally agree. It's not like there is anything wrong with the 2004 edition. We already have two edits! Quite how many angles people need of Elvis mumbling through Something I'm not quite sure, but then I have never seen the need for owning every take of every song either. At what point does it become obsessive?

It's not like Elvis can do a new TV special Peter, EPE and others have to work with the means they have. And when it becomes obsessive? I'm pretty sure the general public thinks us all obsessive, talking about, listening to and watching a man who died over 35 years ago.

No, he can't. But that doesn't mean a different angle is going to provide any more enjoyment from a concert than the first one. Enhanced sound is one thing - it becomes clearer, fuller, whatever. Different camera angles is actually changing the original completely. People moaned about the fiddling of EOT when the beginning was changed, and yet the same people want Aloha to be altered. Or is it OK to change the director's work because we want it changed this time? Conscious decisions were made as to what camera angles were shown at what points, and decisions were again made for the USA showing a few months later. Aloha ceases to become that TV show when you change it, in the same way people say that EOT isn't EOT now that's been changed. What's more, on one hand there's people moaning that they get sold the same thing over and over, and yet people want the same concert over and over - but this time it's different cos you get to see him adjust his belt (and no doubt other highlights)?

This is pure non-sense Peter I'm sorry to say. If you change things you completely change the original thing that the director wanted to show us? How about re-re-releasing Elvis' albums? With other arrangements, other mixes, other takes.. Don't you think that THAT changes what they originally wanted to hear us with the original releases?
By your reasoning Sony and FTD should immediately stop all activity. Just release the original albums with no changes at all. No outtakes, no alternates, nothing, just keep it like it was?

If EPE can produce a new box set that looks fresh with different angles, improve the sound (although the 2004 release wasn't bad) I'm all for it, why not? And if someone doesn't like to hear Elvis 'mumbling through Something' once again just don't buy it.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm

JRtherealJR wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
It's not like there is anything wrong with the 2004 edition. We already have two edits!

Yes we have 2 edits but unfortunately they are both only in the 4:3 aspect ratio. The new enhanced version of Aloha shown at the concert in Hawaii was in the 16:9 widescreen ratio & this was achieved without any zooming and cropping- they did it simply by bolting on the new angles to either side of the main footage.

So the next version of Aloha will have to be a brand new widesecreen version. This means a wonderful new Aloha experience and without any loss of picture quality or information because it wan't just zoomed in to make it 16:9- it would be done by adding the new "boxes" with different angles on either side of the main footage.

ELVIS ALOHA FROM HAWAII 16:9 HD
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCDA59B4A47A551B5

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Justin wrote:Didn't the Deluxe Aloha DVD set already contain a newly edited show? I thought they presented the original broadcast on one disc and then the re-edited full concerts on another? Here they have re-edited the concert a second time and we're demanding for this to be re-re-released on DVD? Just because of camera angles? By this logic, we would want them to re-release this concert every ten years just so we can see a re-edit of the footage. There would be endless versions of this concert just for the sake of different angles of the same performances. Seems kind of silly.

I totally agree. It's not like there is anything wrong with the 2004 edition. We already have two edits! Quite how many angles people need of Elvis mumbling through Something I'm not quite sure, but then I have never seen the need for owning every take of every song either. At what point does it become obsessive?

It's not like Elvis can do a new TV special Peter, EPE and others have to work with the means they have. And when it becomes obsessive? I'm pretty sure the general public thinks us all obsessive, talking about, listening to and watching a man who died over 35 years ago.

No, he can't. But that doesn't mean a different angle is going to provide any more enjoyment from a concert than the first one. Enhanced sound is one thing - it becomes clearer, fuller, whatever. Different camera angles is actually changing the original completely. People moaned about the fiddling of EOT when the beginning was changed, and yet the same people want Aloha to be altered. Or is it OK to change the director's work because we want it changed this time? Conscious decisions were made as to what camera angles were shown at what points, and decisions were again made for the USA showing a few months later. Aloha ceases to become that TV show when you change it, in the same way people say that EOT isn't EOT now that's been changed. What's more, on one hand there's people moaning that they get sold the same thing over and over, and yet people want the same concert over and over - but this time it's different cos you get to see him adjust his belt (and no doubt other highlights)?

This is pure non-sense Peter I'm sorry to say. If you change things you completely change the original thing that the director wanted to show us? How about re-re-releasing Elvis' albums? With other arrangements, other mixes, other takes.. Don't you think that THAT changes what they originally wanted to hear us with the original releases?
By your reasoning Sony and FTD should immediately stop all activity. Just release the original albums with no changes at all. No outtakes, no alternates, nothing, just keep it like it was?

If EPE can produce a new box set that looks fresh with different angles, improve the sound (although the 2004 release wasn't bad) I'm all for it, why not? And if someone doesn't like to hear Elvis 'mumbling through Something' once again just don't buy it.

Nonsense. When the original album is released with extra takes, those takes don't replace the masters - they are included as well as the masters. While the SE TTWII could be defended for using completely new material and literally making a new film, a re-release of Aloha in the form that is suggested would result in the new version replacing the original, and for such an historic event that should never happen.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:44 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Nonsense. When the original album is released with extra takes, those takes don't replace the masters - they are included as well as the masters. While the SE TTWII could be defended for using completely new material and literally making a new film, a re-release of Aloha in the form that is suggested would result in the new version replacing the original, and for such an historic event that should never happen.

Well they sould not have remastered the MSG shows then or never brought out the Delux Aloha as it was different and extra footage, Some of the cam shots on Aloha could be better also flashing from cam to cam did not work well, i saw the Japanese version a few months back it was so refreshing almost like watching it for the 1st time, im all for it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 pm

robbie wrote:
Well they sould not have remastered the MSG shows then or never brought out the Delux Aloha as it was different and extra footage, Some of the cam shots on Aloha could be better also flashing from cam to cam did not work well, i saw the Japanese version a few months back it was so refreshing almost like watching it for the 1st time, im all for it

No, the original show was included alongside the re-edited Aloha in the deluxe set. But it's unlikely that set would still be available if another re-edit comes along, thus meaning that the original show would not be available but that the re-edit would be. As for MSG, the original albums were released via Legacy at the same time as the remix, therefore one version doesn't overwrite the other.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Why stop with Aloha? Why not demand for a completely new edit for the 68 Comeback show? Why not an alternate angle edit of the Ed Sullivan shows??

robbie wrote:i saw the Japanese version a few months back it was so refreshing almost like watching it for the 1st time, im all for it

Yeah. And then what? Surely after everyone watches the new re-edit a thousand times, you will all grow tired of that edit as well and then demand for a new re-re-edit. And it will go on and on and on. You are all chasing a cheap thrill.

None of us (regardless of where each of us stand on this issue) actually need to have an alternate version of "Aloha" just for the new camera angles.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:37 pm

someone recorded the song Burning Love???

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Justin wrote:
None of us (regardless of where each of us stand on this issue) actually need to have an alternate version of "Aloha" just for the new camera angles.

WOW - who made you decider of what people need or want?

RKS

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Justin wrote:Why stop with Aloha? Why not demand for a completely new edit for the 68 Comeback show? Why not an alternate angle edit of the Ed Sullivan shows??

robbie wrote:i saw the Japanese version a few months back it was so refreshing almost like watching it for the 1st time, im all for it

Yeah. And then what? Surely after everyone watches the new re-edit a thousand times, you will all grow tired of that edit as well and then demand for a new re-re-edit. And it will go on and on and on. You are all chasing a cheap thrill.

yeah since when do u decide what others need?.. I need one altough i have the 2004 edition, i hardly ever watch it for the mixing faults, and the camera angles arent really ''THAT'' enjoyable either.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:59 am

"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbsaNjxcmq8

"C.C. Rider":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=762_5ZDR7HU

Also, the aspect ratio of the screening appeared to be 2.35:1, not 16:9.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 am

"Can't Help Falling In Love" + Outro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acihNP5mt7k

"Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUday36kh3A

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:42 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

It's not like the original historic event disappears Peter. When EPE released the Aloha box set in 2004 on disc 2 they put the original show as it aired in April '73 on NBC.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 am

Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

It's not like the original historic event disappears Peter. When EPE released the Aloha box set in 2004 on disc 2 they put the original show as it aired in April '73 on NBC.

Indeed. But if that version is deleted and replaced by the new edit then we lose the original.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 am

Matthew wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:Sounds like a damned viewing headache. Split-screen for the entire hour? Hmm.

I know what you mean.
BUT for me the original Aloha was about Elvis' vocal performance and very little exciting stage action.
They way they did this Re-edit really increased the "excitement" of the concert.

I suggest an interactive DVD where you can select extra camera angles or split screen options.
Plus the original (rather unexciting version) if you want it.

Certainly made all of us see ALOHA in a different, more exciting, light.

Cheers, Piers.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 am

PiersEIN wrote:
Matthew wrote:
JRtherealJR wrote:Sounds like a damned viewing headache. Split-screen for the entire hour? Hmm.

I know what you mean.
BUT for me the original Aloha was about Elvis' vocal performance and very little exciting stage action.
They way they did this Re-edit really increased the "excitement" of the concert.

I suggest an interactive DVD where you can select extra camera angles or split screen options.
Plus the original (rather unexciting version) if you want it.

Certainly made all of us see ALOHA in a different, more exciting, light.

Cheers, Piers.

In addition to fabulous hi-def pic and improved sound – that's a winner!!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:53 pm

what can be done with the 2 DVD:
phpBB [video]

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm

The original Live broedcast is lost anyway what you call the original is the april screening, i saw some 8mm which was filmed from the live show from TV not the same cam shots as the april edit

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:37 pm

robbie wrote:The original Live broedcast is lost anyway what you call the original is the april screening, i saw some 8mm which was filmed from the live show from TV not the same cam shots as the april edit

id love to see that 8mm footage :D

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:42 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:In addition to fabulous hi-def pic and improved sound – that's a winner!!

HD is not possible from Aloha's SD video elements.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:what can be done with the 2 DVD:
phpBB [video]

My video response :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ytEOVBqWJg

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Timofey wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:what can be done with the 2 DVD:
phpBB [video]

My video response :)