Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Trying To Get To You

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks so much, DOC! I'd never heard that before. I actually liked The Eagles version of that a lot. It would seem that Elvis' was inspired by their version of this great song.

Does anyone know if Elvis had this record in his personal collection?

Thanks again, DOC!

rlj

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:41 am

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks so much, DOC! I'd never heard that before. I actually liked The Eagles version of that a lot. It would seem that Elvis' was inspired by their version of this great song.

Does anyone know if Elvis had this record in his personal collection?

Thanks again, DOC!

rlj

You're welcome!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 am

Tony.. wrote:The "Live on stage in Memphis" version can be best appreciated on the bootleg CD "Fifth time around". The FTD version was ruined with fake audience overdubs as you pointed out, plus overdone reverb on Elvis' voice.

Do you even own the FTD? There are no 'fake audience overdubs' on the FTD version. The 'fake audience overdubs' are on the original 1974 album.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 am

I don't mean to harp on about the Beatles the whole time, but I hope anyone out there who hasn't heard this will be amused (and possibly intrigued):

The Quarrymen: In Spite Of All The Danger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuOAA9ekbg

Paul McCartney on In Spite Of All The Danger (recorded in 1958):
"It was my song. It's very similar to an Elvis song. It's me doing an Elvis, but I'm a bit loath to say which! I know which one! It was one that I'd heard at scout camp when I was younger and I'd loved it. And when I came to write the first couple of songs at the age of about 14 that was one of them." From The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Mark Lewisohn, 1988.

Very similar? Or very, very similar?

Those of us who were Beatles and Elvis fans were finally put out of our misery in 1995, when the song appeared for the first time on the Beatles' Anthology. (It hadn't even been previously bootlegged.)

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matt Ashton wrote:"Trying To Get To You", is a great song, I was listening to it on "Young Man With The Big Beat" set, although I've always liked the song I have done a search and there isn't a great deal of live versions from the 70's I've heard one from 1968, 1970? 1974, and 1977.

There is 1974 version from the "Live On Stage In Memphis" that has a truly shocking audience overdub

Does anybody have any info from when Elvis had it on his set list and why he dropped it and then reintroduced it?

Elvis likely did "Tryin' to Get to You" in concert in 1955-1956, while his greatest known live recordings were taped for the NBC-TV small combo jam segments on June 27, 1968.

When he returned to regular stage concerts in 1969 it did not appear. One-offs are known from 1970 (November 16) and 1971 (August 11 DS), then nothing until it became a set regular starting January 28, 1974. After his summer tour that year he must have gotten bored with it, as it only made a few showings until his December 1975 booking at the Hilton. Then it seemed to fall into favor again until the end of the May 1976 Sahara Tahoe visit.

From June 1976 to the end it popped up at about twenty more shows, the last one captured by the CBS-TV cameras on June 21, 1977.

Have you heard the original 1954 R&B recording by the Eagles? It's wonderful, and one may clearly hear how much Elvis took from it in his July 1955 Sun recording.

phpBB [video]

The Eagles, "Tryin' to Get to You" (Mercury 70391, May 30, 1954)

I just love this original!!! It's so fabulous!! Bear Family records did an LP of the Eagles stuff a few years ago, which i've still got. I don't think they have done it on CD, yet. As far as all the live versions Elvis did of this classic song, imo, the Sun cut from 1955 is the definitive version, nothing comes close.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 am

NumberEight wrote:The Quarrymen: In Spite Of All The Danger
phpBB [video]

Alvin & The Chipmunks

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 am

NumberEight wrote:I don't mean to harp on about the Beatles the whole time, but I hope anyone out there who hasn't heard this will be amused (and possibly intrigued):

"It was my song. It's very similar to an Elvis song. It's me doing an Elvis, but I'm a bit loath to say which! I know which one! It was one that I'd heard at scout camp when I was younger and I'd loved it. And when I came to write the first couple of songs at the age of about 14 that was one of them." From The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions, Mark Lewisohn, 1988.

Those of us who were Beatles and Elvis fans were finally put out of our misery in 1995, when the song appeared for the first time on the Beatles' Anthology. (It hadn't even been previously bootlegged.)

I've read that interview Paul did with Mark Lewisohn. If you listen to the song it's deffo "Tryin' To Get To You"...

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I love that song. The original is best, but the 68 comeback is a VERY close second. And Scotty's guitar sounds like an organ at times, amazing.

You like the original "Tryin' to Get to You" best? Interesting.

My top three:
Elvis live RCA recording - June 1968
Elvis studio Sun recording - July 1955
Eagles studio original - May 1954

The original as in the original ELVIS recording! I don't give two shakes about the Eagles version.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 am

NumberEight wrote:I don't mean to harp on about the Beatles the whole time, but I hope anyone out there who hasn't heard this will be amused (and possibly intrigued):

True, it had only been written about, never heard. It's not a bad homage from a 16 year-old Liverpool lad; it's curious that Anthology 1 offers only an edited version of the track.

In Spite of All The Danger | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/in-spite-of-all-the-danger/

As noted, Paul is drawing from the Presley Sun recording of "Tryin' to Get to You." As one may hear, John got to sing lead on it. Someone amongst John, Paul, George, John and Colin must have owned a copy of this LP:

560000_HMV 1093_Elvis Presley.JPG

Elvis Presley (HMV 1093, October 1956)
Side 1
Blue Suede Shoes
I Got A Sweetie (I Got A Woman)
I'm Counting On You
I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone
That's All Right
Money Honey
Side 2
Mystery Train
I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry
Tryin' To Get To You
One-Sided Love Affair
Lawdy, Miss Clawdy
Shake, Rattle And Roll

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:04 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Have you heard the original 1954 R&B recording by the Eagles? It's wonderful, and one may clearly hear how much Elvis took from it in his July 1955 Sun recording.

phpBB [video]

I just love this original!!! It's so fabulous!! Bear Family records did an LP of the Eagles stuff a few years ago, which i've still got. I don't think they have done it on CD, yet. As far as all the live versions Elvis did of this classic song, imo, the Sun cut from 1955 is the definitive version, nothing comes close.

Yes, it is a wonderful release. It's funny it was not a hit. However, from Elvis' renditions, I'll always choose the 6-27-1968 recordings -- Presley's music is never more alive, or vibrant. Bear Family does have a CD version of the Eagles recordings, too.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:06 am

skatterbrane wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I love that song. The original is best, but the 68 comeback is a VERY close second. And Scotty's guitar sounds like an organ at times, amazing.

You like the original "Tryin' to Get to You" best? Interesting.

My top three:
Eagles studio original - May 1954

The original as in the original ELVIS recording! I don't give two shakes about the Eagles version.

:-(

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:11 am

Have you heard the original 1954 R&B recording by the Eagles? It's wonderful, and one may clearly hear how much Elvis took from it in his July 1955 Sun recording.

Yep, but the lead singer sounds nothing like Don Henley. :mrgreen:

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Have you heard the original 1954 R&B recording by the Eagles? It's wonderful, and one may clearly hear how much Elvis took from it in his July 1955 Sun recording.

Yep, but the lead singer sounds nothing like Don Henley. :mrgreen:

You and elvis-fan are on a roll.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:43 am

Matthew wrote:
Tony.. wrote:The "Live on stage in Memphis" version can be best appreciated on the bootleg CD "Fifth time around". The FTD version was ruined with fake audience overdubs as you pointed out, plus overdone reverb on Elvis' voice.

Do you even own the FTD? There are no 'fake audience overdubs' on the FTD version. The 'fake audience overdubs' are on the original 1974 album.

Tony.., I was wondering the same thing that Matthew has asked you.

It's okay to admit that you made a mistake. I certainly hope you don't want to argue about the FTD release. However, now you have me curious about the "Fifth Time Around" boot (which I don't have).

For anyone who does have it - Is there anything outstanding about the sound on it compared to other releases of the same concert?

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matt Ashton wrote:"Trying To Get To You", is a great song, I was listening to it on "Young Man With The Big Beat" set, although I've always liked the song I have done a search and there isn't a great deal of live versions from the 70's I've heard one from 1968, 1970? 1974, and 1977.

There is 1974 version from the "Live On Stage In Memphis" that has a truly shocking audience overdub

Does anybody have any info from when Elvis had it on his set list and why he dropped it and then reintroduced it?

Elvis likely did "Tryin' to Get to You" in concert in 1955-1956, while his greatest known live recordings were taped for the NBC-TV small combo jam segments on June 27, 1968.

When he returned to regular stage concerts in 1969 it did not appear. One-offs are known from 1970 (November 16) and 1971 (August 11 DS), then nothing until it became a set regular starting January 28, 1974. After his summer tour that year he must have gotten bored with it, as it only made a few showings until his December 1975 booking at the Hilton. Then it seemed to fall into favor again until the end of the May 1976 Sahara Tahoe visit.

From June 1976 to the end it popped up at about twenty more shows, the last one captured by the CBS-TV cameras on June 21, 1977.

phpBB [video]

Thank you for your a great post ::rocks

My top versions:
Elvis Memphis live recording - July 1974 (without Overdubs) :wink:
Trying To Get To You (August 20, 1974 D.S.) Streaking all the way

Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

Yes, it is a wonderful release. It's funny it was not a hit. However, from Elvis' renditions, I'll always choose the 6-27-1968 recordings -- Presley's music is never more alive, or vibrant. Bear Family does have a CD version of the Eagles recordings, too.

Thanks for the info about Bear Family Eagles CD, Doc. Have to get hold of that, so i can replace the old vinyl for the CD. :) :smt023

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:16 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Thanks for the info about Bear Family Eagles CD, Doc. Have to get hold of that, so i can replace the old vinyl for the CD. :) :smt023

I might have jumped the gun -- now I can only find the LP version on their site. Sorry :-(

EAGLES - Trying To Get To You - Bear Family Records
http://www.bear-family.com/en/vinyl-schallplatten/vinyl-rhythm-blues/eagles-trying-to-get-to-you.html

Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Matt Ashton wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

Thank you for your a great post ::rocks

My top versions:
Elvis Memphis live recording - July 1974 (without Overdubs) :wink:
Trying To Get To You (August 20, 1974 D.S.) Streaking all the way

You're welcome!!

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am

Possibly my favourite song of all time by anybody.

I find it curious that many people seem to prefer the 1968 live version/s over the Sun master. Granted, it is an amazing performance that has its own brilliance to it not found in the Eagles or Elvis studio versions and I've even argue its possibly the best song of the whole 1968 special, I mean it's the very song that 'bleeds' in that show, it's Elvis crying out not for his loved one, but to his audience. That's who he'd been tryin' to get to.

But nothing compares to the Sun recording. It's one of those unique vocals that is perfect in every way possible. Naturally, Elvis pulls a lot from the original but he has that unique trick of making it sound like he owns that song. It's just one of those beautiful, beautiful songs that you can never tire of. The song always conjures up an intense imagery in my mind of the young Elvis, just on the cusp of immense fame in 1955. 20 years old, without a care in the world, hammering away at the piano in a small Memphis studio with a couple of other guys. It's like a moment in time and history that is lost forever - but captured ever so perfectly in some of those recordings. You can hear the yearning in his voice, the innocence of youth with the world ahead of him. It's got that same feel to me as "That's All Right" - it's like Elvis is singing about something beyond those lyrics, some kind of world that doesn't yet exist, but soon will.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:46 am

Was "Tryin' To Get To You" actually in the original airing in 1968? Or was it first shown when they did the "One Night With You" video years after the original airing on TV?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:38 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Possibly my favourite song of all time by anybody.

I find it curious that many people seem to prefer the 1968 live version/s over the Sun master. Granted, it is an amazing performance that has its own brilliance to it not found in the Eagles or Elvis studio versions and I've even argue its possibly the best song of the whole 1968 special, I mean it's the very song that 'bleeds' in that show, it's Elvis crying out not for his loved one, but to his audience. That's who he'd been tryin' to get to.

I hear what you are saying, but I also hear a more world weary Elvis whose life experiences add a flavor to the 68 Special version, add to that a voice that is more edgy/horse/cracked and you get a performance that stands aside from a more youthful approach. The Sun version has a nonchalant quality where Elvis able to do things with his voice that cannot be replicated even in the early 60's. I still prefer the polished 1974 version where Elvis still wants to give it an edge, I suppose I like the later versions because I first heard this song on Elvis In Concert and have more of an affinity to that type of arrangement?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 am

Brad, thanks for posting that clip. I've never heard that before. It's interesting in that we get some of the rough-hewn '68 voice on the louder passages, but his phrasing on the line "or could keep me away from you" is sung like on the '55 record. The performance is so good that it's a bit strange the number didn't get put into the set on at least a semi-regular basis at that time.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:24 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Was "Tryin' To Get To You" actually in the original airing in 1968?

No, and it wasn't included on the original album release in 1968.

It was first released on the album ELVIS - A LEGENDARY PERFORMER Volume 1 about 5 years later.
>> http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpl1-0341-a- ... -volume-1/

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 am

Too bad because it was a marvelous performance.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Blue River wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Was "Tryin' To Get To You" actually in the original airing in 1968?

No, and it wasn't included on the original album release in 1968.

It was first released on the album ELVIS - A LEGENDARY PERFORMER Volume 1 about 5 years later.
>> http://www.elvisrecords.us/cpl1-0341-a- ... -volume-1/

Oh yes, forgot all about the "Lengendary Performer" LP...remember it being on there, which is were i first heard it. The best performance of the show and they don't include it in the final cut for TV in '68. :cry: