Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis not appearing on Talk Shows

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 pm

r&b wrote:TV Guide in one of their Elvis special issues, reported that Elvis wanted to do a walk-on for Laugh-In while he was taping his 1968 special. Many people did these 'walk-ons' and said one line, including President Nixon, who said 'Sock It To Me?' He was really hot on this idea and it would have been fabulous. Guess who stopped him from doing it?

Laugh in was a variety show not a talk show.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:03 pm

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:TV Guide in one of their Elvis special issues, reported that Elvis wanted to do a walk-on for Laugh-In while he was taping his 1968 special. Many people did these 'walk-ons' and said one line, including President Nixon, who said 'Sock It To Me?' He was really hot on this idea and it would have been fabulous. Guess who stopped him from doing it?

Laugh In was a comedy show, not a variety show.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Of course it would have been good for Elvis to appear on talk shows.
If millions of people see you on TV performing / talking about your latest album / single there's more of a chance they'll buy it.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:

Laugh In was a comedy show, not a variety show.

oh well yeah.

Still a comedy show like Laugh in wasn't a talk show.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 pm

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:

Laugh In was a comedy show, not a variety show.[/q

My point was TV in general. That was taboo to the Col. A one minute walk on regardless, if a talk show, comedy show, etc would have been a cool thing to do on 1968's biggest TV show and Elvis wanted to. I guess by overruling the Col on his own TV special, the Col stood his ground on this one.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:47 pm

r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
brian wrote:

Laugh In was a comedy show, not a variety show.[/q

My point was TV in general. That was taboo to the Col. A one minute walk on regardless, if a talk show, comedy show, etc would have been a cool thing to do on 1968's biggest TV show and Elvis wanted to. I guess by overruling the Col on his own TV special, the Col stood his ground on this one.

I don't think Elvis wanted to do Laugh in too badly.

It's no big loss that he didn't make a cameo on it.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:44 pm

I think, one of the reasons Parker didn't have Elvis on Talk Shows, is because he may have been worried about the type of questions Elvis may get asked. One of them would undoubtedly have been "why haven't you done a world tour yet?" And a good interviewer, would have challenged him on that subject. And of course, the subject of his movies would have also been brought up. And i think Elvis knew this too.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:50 pm

How Elvis could appear in talk shows in the 70's when he didn't appear in any singing events except Aloha? From June 1968 to June 1977 (the posthoumoustily watched CBS TV special) he never sang on TV (except Aloha). Too bad, of course, because this could be a boost from the 70's singles on the market.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:How Elvis could appear in talk shows in the 70's when he didn't appear in any singing events except Aloha? From June 1968 to June 1977 (the posthoumoustily watched CBS TV special) he never sang on TV (except Aloha). Too bad, of course, because this could be a boost from the 70's singles on the market.

He could have appeared in talk shows to promote TTWII and On Tour. To talk about Aloha. To promote his new albums and mention tours - particularly his return to Memphis shows in 1974 and his Madison Square Gardens weekender. Promote his (unfinished) Karate movie project. May even have mentioned his visit with Nixon if probed about it. I think he would have been a great TV Chat show guest judging on the two 1972 interview/conversations we have.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:41 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I think, one of the reasons Parker didn't have Elvis on Talk Shows, is because he may have been worried about the type of questions Elvis may get asked. One of them would undoubtedly have been "why haven't you done a world tour yet?" And a good interviewer, would have challenged him on that subject. And of course, the subject of his movies would have also been brought up. And i think Elvis knew this too.

Interviews with celebrities tend to be pretty soft ball.

If those subjects came up Elvis would have probably gave an answer similar to the Las Vegas 1969 and MSG press conferences.

It wasn't going to be Mike Wallace it would have been Johnny Carson and people like that.

Also celebrities sometimes stipulate what they will talk about on talk shows if they are afraid of being asked questions they don't want to talk about.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:53 pm

Elvis loved Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. I bet he would have loved to be a guest on there. I am sure Carson (who really admired him) would have tossed him softball questions and be thrilled just to have him on there. The Col really deprived the fans of a lot of video we could be enjoying today. I wonder if Sullivan ever called the Col in the 60's to try? I know the show Shindig wanted him on in 1965 for a 10th anniversary show. it was the hottest music show on American TV at the time and would have done a lot more to boost record sales than the latest movie.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:13 am

I think it was a good move on Parker's part to not have Elvis appear on talk shows. He did many things right, and many things wrong.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 am

I can only imagine EP from 1969 on Johnny's couch. Left ankle draped over right knee, more handsome then 10 movie stars. That would have been incredible!!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:38 am

Why would Elvis pay to appear on talk shows

He didn't need the publicity

Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:49 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I think, one of the reasons Parker didn't have Elvis on Talk Shows, is because he may have been worried about the type of questions Elvis may get asked. One of them would undoubtedly have been "why haven't you done a world tour yet?" And a good interviewer, would have challenged him on that subject. And of course, the subject of his movies would have also been brought up. And i think Elvis knew this too.

Talk shows like The Tonight Show were and still are highly scripted. The guests have a pre-interview where they decide what they want to talk about. They work closely with the star's representation to decide what will be asked. The only one that really will sometimes go off script is Letterman and he wasn't around then.

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:50 am

Joe Car wrote:I can only imagine EP from 1969 on Johnny's couch. Left ankle draped over right knee, more handsome then 10 movie stars. That would have been incredible!!

You never know, it might have been right ankle draped over left knee! 8)

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:05 am

Joe Car wrote:... more handsome then 10 movie stars.

Maybe even more handsome than 10 movie stars. smt179